Pickenflick Chainset Options

indyjones
indyjones Posts: 114
edited January 2016 in Cyclocross
Hi All,

So during the Christmas sale I was weak and bought myself a shiny new On-One Pickenflick Ti Cyclocross frameset :mrgreen:

I know mostly what parts I am going to put together for the build, but I am not sure on the Chainset. I want to fit the Shimano hydraulic shifters so that means I need to go for 11speed (which I am thinking of doing with 105 components). Unfortunately Shimano does not make a 46/36 in 105, only Ultegra (the CX non-series are 10speed).
What other options to keep the cost down are there please? I am currently leaning towards SRAM Rival.

Comments

• SRAM Rival is a good choice. But you needn't worry too much about what speed your chainset is. Most 10's will work with a 11 speed system. But, if you're getting the whole groupset, don't worry about it. Just get Rival 11 Hydraulic or Ultegra 11 with RS685.

Quick check though. In its first iteration the frame only pickenflick could only take a tiny MTB chainset. I assume that they've updated this. There was some old stock on their site. Since there's nothing to say otherwise it does look like this is the new model (and therefore ok)
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • indyjones
    Thank you I took advantage and got the last one from wiggle '40% off'.....
    So Rival chainset the rest will be shimano. I guess go with 11-32 to give me a good range and the GS rear mech?
  • bobley
    bobley Posts: 60
    We've had that combo on 2 of our bikes this year and even with the clock spring in the 6800 GS mech wound up we've struggled to get enough tension in the chain to keep the chain firmly on the chainring. We are actually using X01 narrow wide chainrings/spiders on Force CX1 cranks. We swapped one over to a Rival CX1 2.1 rear mech last week and it worked better but my bike which is full Force CX1 has also suffered dropped chains in the muck and I've resorted to a K Edge catcher now so dont expect 1x to be a cure all. A decent Ultegra 2x setup with an SS mech will probably be more secure. Front mechs are for more than just shiafting.
  • indyjones
    We've had that combo on 2 of our bikes this year and even with the clock spring in the 6800 GS mech wound up we've struggled to get enough tension in the chain to keep the chain firmly on the chainring. We are actually using X01 narrow wide chainrings/spiders on Force CX1 cranks. We swapped one over to a Rival CX1 2.1 rear mech last week and it worked better but my bike which is full Force CX1 has also suffered dropped chains in the muck and I've resorted to a K Edge catcher now so dont expect 1x to be a cure all. A decent Ultegra 2x setup with an SS mech will probably be more secure. Front mechs are for more than just shiafting.

Bit confused... I have gone for double, 46/36 the rest will be 5800 105 bar the shifters which will be the shimano non series hydraulic ones. Thanks for your point on chainlength might be better with the short cage! A k edge will be a good idea, though I think I will just go for the cheap superstar components one :-)