Hope Pro II Evo rear hub bearings

loudog
loudog Posts: 136
edited January 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Is there a cheap alternative where these bearings can be purchased? At £37 for a replacement set from CRC seems like a swizz. Ive been browsing some proper bearing websites but understandably its a bit of a headache, but they generally are going for around £4 a bearing - cash back!.

Any help much appreciated!
It matters not, win or lose, it's how you ride the bike

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Don't go for cheap ones, they be dead in no time, it's a false economy. Use either SKF or Koyo bearings. Check which bearings are dead, you might not need all of them.
  • As much as i would love to support a british company, I can't when it comes to Hope hubs. The best thing to do when hope hub bearings wear out ( usually after 6 months!!) strip the wheel down and throw the hub in the bin and get a decent one, cant fail with Shimano! If you really want to keep the hub, i would take the advice of the other member that posted here and get the very best bearings you can afford as the hub lets all the muck and water in to drown the bearings,so you need good seals on the bearings.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ignore the dufus above as the bearings don't even come from the UK, listen to RMSC, get quality bearings of the right size.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ignore the dufus above as the bearings don't even come from the UK, listen to RMSC, get quality bearings of the right size.

Isn't that what i said!!?? Get good quality bearings! :roll:
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    any bearings from koyo, ntn or skf will work just fine, and much cheaper than OE and quality items as well, don't buy ceramic and other marketing spoofs for the sake of your wallet
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • rockmonkeysc
    There's nothing wrong with Hope hubs. I've got one set still going solid at eight years old and I usually get two - three years at least to a set of bearings.
  • The Rookie
    Ignore the dufus above as the bearings don't even come from the UK, listen to RMSC, get quality bearings of the right size.

Isn't that what i said!!?? Get good quality bearings! :roll:
    No, you also suggested binning the hope hubs, as you can see if you read your own post.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    while we are on the subject, any advice about greasing up the pawls and ratchet part of the hub.

ive recently had a wheel rebuilt with one, xt hub failed due to rubbish seals.

how often have you found this needs to be done?

going back to the original question, hope should list the bearing types on there site or its been mentioned on crc.
  • loudog
    I've seen a few alternative sets on eBay . There are stainless steel sets. I like the idea of buying only what's needed (2 bearings), but surely it's best to replace all the bearings at the same time
  • rockmonkeysc
    There is no reason to replace all the bearings. Just change the dead ones, any more is just wasting money.
  • loudog
    Then I shall just purchase the two!
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    while we are on the subject, any advice about greasing up the pawls and ratchet part of the hub.

ive recently had a wheel rebuilt with one, xt hub failed due to rubbish seals.

how often have you found this needs to be done?

going back to the original question, hope should list the bearing types on there site or its been mentioned on crc.
    Advice is take it easy with the grease in winter as it can get thicker and hold the pawls in which means you will die. Also when you pull off the cassette be careful not to lose the pawls. It is a normal maintenance. Once now and once when spring arrives. Oh and nothing wrong with Hope Hubs - I hope.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • FishFish
    There is no reason to replace all the bearings. Just change the dead ones, any more is just wasting money.

Do you meed to buy a special tool to get the bearings out and put them back as woth the BB tool or can you just drift them out? Cheers.

• FishFish
    There's nothing wrong with Hope hubs. I've got one set still going solid at eight years old and I usually get two - three years at least to a set of bearings.

...when you say 'still going solid' I guess you mean still not going solid! 2016 pedantry. 6000 miles on my SS bearings on a Hope BB.

• WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099

Do you meed to buy a special tool to get the bearings out and put them back as woth the BB tool or can you just drift them out? Cheers.

You can drift them out with the right size sockets.
    The correct tool kits are only about £30 though.
  • The Rookie
    Just knock them out and in with whatever suites.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I use a pair of suitable sized socket and a bit of studding and nuts to pull out and press in bearings. I prefer not to knock them in or out with drifts.