Magura brake bleedng problem

Harrym56
Harrym56 Posts: 3
edited January 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a set of Magura MT six brakes and they needed a bleed, after following several videos and doing it exactly how it was described I had no luck and bubbles kept on appearing when passing fluid through the system. After many attempts I gave up and took it to a bike shop, they bled the brake and it was sharp but only for a few days, it has now gone spongey again.

One of the bleed port screws (EBT screws) is rounded so I have been using the port on the under side of the brake to bleed it, could this rounded/damaged screw be the reason that air kept on appearing when bleeding and the reason it has gone spongey again? If so would I just need to replace the rounded screw? Also has anyone got any tips on bleeding Magura brakes? Thanks.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You have to open lever and calliper to bleed it, or you won't bleed it, you'll just bodge it and still have air left.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    you can use the underside bleed port as long as you turn the lever the other way so the port faces up, the air always traps on the high spots so using the bleeding port facing down won't help at all.
    Maguras are easy to bleed but a bit messy
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • The Rookie wrote:
    You have to open lever and calliper to bleed it, or you won't bleed it, you'll just bodge it and still have air left.
    yeah, I put a syringe on both the lever and caliper, if that's what you mean.
    Harrym56 wrote:
    I have a set of Magura MT six brakes and they needed a bleed, after following several videos and doing it exactly how it was described I had no luck and bubbles kept on appearing when passing fluid through the system. After many attempts I gave up and took it to a bike shop, they bled the brake and it was sharp but only for a few days, it has now gone spongey again.

One of the bleed port screws (EBT screws) is rounded so I have been using the port on the under side of the brake to bleed it, could this rounded/damaged screw be the reason that air kept on appearing when bleeding and the reason it has gone spongey again? If so would I just need to replace the rounded screw? Also has anyone got any tips on bleeding Magura brakes? Thanks.
    yeah I did that last time and still air bubbles were coming out. Hoping it's just this damaged EBT screw