London NYE Fireworks - What Should I Expect?

buckmulligan
buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
edited December 2015 in The cake stop
Hi, for the first time in many a year I'm going to hit the streets of London on New Year's Eve to watch the fireworks. I've got tickets for the Blue Area on Victoria Embankment, which is apparently open for entry between 7:30-9:30.

- How crazy are the queues for the ticketed areas and how early do we need to be heading down there early to be sure we actually get in?
- What is there inside the ticketed areas? Are there pop-up bars/food stalls or any kind of entertainment to pass the several hours until midnight?
- Will our party all have to stick together to make sure we're with the original ticket purchaser? The ticket T&Cs sound very severe to restrict reselling but surely they're not going to ID everyone on the gates?
- Any other bits of advice?

I live in London and went to the fireworks for several years before they bought in the ticketing scheme and I'm fully expecting it to still be complete chaos. Just interested in people's experiences from last year.

Comments

• I've not been since they do ticketing, in fact I wasn't even aware of the scheme until now. If the past is anything to go by, i'd expect it to be manic with that many people, with many drunk, waiting in line. I'd suggest getting there early.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Honest answer? It'll be chaos. If you're a massive fan of crowds and drunk wankers then you'll love it.

I'd go to Crystal Palace (a high point in London) and look out over the city, at several firework displays, for free. If we were still at the old place, I'd invite you to our roof for a can and the 3rd best view in London!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    I'd forgotten they are ticketed now. I went for the 99/00 fireworks. Rode up on a 60's Triumph Bonneville with the Mrs on the back. Parked up next to the barriers where the police on duty said to leave it so they could keep an eye on it. Walked to the river to watch the show then back to the bike and on to my folk's place a little after 1am to pick the kids up. My sister had to do the same trip by public transport and got back to Wimbledon about 7am. I thought it was a great night, my sister thought it was shite. Can't imagine why.
  • ukiboy
    ukiboy Posts: 891
    Honest answer? It'll be chaos. If you're a massive fan of crowds and drunk wankers then you'll love it.

I'd go to Crystal Palace (a high point in London) and look out over the city, at several firework displays, for free. If we were still at the old place, I'd invite you to our roof for a can and the 3rd best view in London!

Second this. As an emergency services worker in town I can think of better ways of seeing in the new year than
    sharing my space with 'drunk wankers' etc.
    Top of Primrose Hill and/or Parliament Hill will also afford great views of the noisy explosive colourfull
    things...
    Outside the rat race and proud of it
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Primrose hill?
  • Thanks for the suggestions, Primrose Hill and Parliament Hill sound good but surely they would be even worse for overcrowding?! If you go up there on a sunny weekend it's usually rammed, let alone NYE!

As I mentioned, I've already got tickets so I was mostly interested in people's experiences of the ticketed areas last year.
  • Surely there's got to be one person on this forum who went last year? Any input appreciated!
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Surely there's got to be one person on this forum who went last year? Any input appreciated!

well perhaps the lack of comment tells you all you need to know about it :lol:
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Lot of loud bangs?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Thanks for the suggestions, Primrose Hill and Parliament Hill sound good but surely they would be even worse for overcrowding?! If you go up there on a sunny weekend it's usually rammed, let alone NYE!

As I mentioned, I've already got tickets so I was mostly interested in people's experiences of the ticketed areas last year.

There was a report on the London news last night and the general gist was that there were big problems at Primrose Hill last year, drunk wankers and litter, and there were going to be a lot more restrictions there this year. Can't remember the specifics as I wasn't really paying proper attention as I have no intention of ever going again to central London for the NYE.