Aero//lightweight for big guy

smythy82
smythy82 Posts: 4
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I have been riding a Specialized Allez sport for the last 2 years and am to buy a higher tier bike. The Allez was a good bike but I need more! Traditionally all I have heard was light, light, light in regards to bike choice. About 3 months ago, I was taking to a well respected ex-pro, who`s opinion I highly respect, who very bluntly that I stupid for chasing a light weight machine and to go with the latest trend and get myself a road aero bike. He then proceeded to tell me that if I am 100kg and 6ft 3in, with not a stick of fat a light weight bike was pointless.

I can see the sense in his thinking? My latest bike visits have me looking at the Argon 18 Nitrogen.

Any comments please...particularly interested in aero road bike owners and big lads! :D

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Why do you need more. Do you race. Aero bikes do make a difference but I hope you are doing all the cheaper stuff first like an aero position (i.e can you cope with 120mm saddle to handle bar drop and then go on the drops for extended periods), were tight fitting clothing, shave your legs you see all of these things make as much difference and in the case of position more, difference than the aero frame will make.

You can be fast on a non aero frame you will be a few tenths of an mph quicker on the most aero frame compared to a round tubes bikes from the 80's. Enough to make a difference in a breakaway but not in a group.

At 100kg having a light bike is quite pointless.

I don't think in a cat 4 crit race having an aero bike will make any difference unless you can break and stay out in which case you be cat 3 before you know it.

This is all from a bloke who has just bought a Look 795.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Buy what makes you happy!