Aero Wheelset

Bikespeed
Bikespeed Posts: 13
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi All

Could do with a little advise on Aero Wheels. I'm looking to do a few Time Trials next year, im not going to the expense of a TTbike as its for fun and at my age i don't think i could hold the position.
However i was thinking of a good set of Areo wheels that i can use on training and club rides as well as the odd TT.
Do i go for full carbon or wheels, or wheels with an Aluminum braking track. At the moment im leaning towards the Aluminum braking track wheels? Something along the lines of Shimano Dura Ace C50 or Campagnolo Bullet 50mm.

Id be grateful for any advise, as there is so much choice

Thanks

Comments

• Hi All

Could do with a little advise on Aero Wheels. I'm looking to do a few Time Trials next year, im not going to the expense of a TTbike as its for fun and at my age i don't think i could hold the position.
    However i was thinking of a good set of Areo wheels that i can use on training and club rides as well as the odd TT.
    Do i go for full carbon or wheels, or wheels with an Aluminum braking track. At the moment im leaning towards the Aluminum braking track wheels? Something along the lines of Shimano Dura Ace C50 or Campagnolo Bullet 50mm.

Id be grateful for any advise, as there is so much choice

Thanks

What's your weight and budget?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I have Shimano Dura Ace C50, but unless you are aware of some amazing deals, I reckon you could probably pick up something like a used planet X exocet for a couple of £100 more and this will be serving you well long after the brake track on the C50s has worn out.

the C50's are an awesome wheel and made a difference to my speed of about 10-15% over my fulcrum racing 3s on faster sections and were no slower on the hills.

They will however wear out in a couple of seasons if you take them anywhere near winter or wet riding.

A dedicated TT bike will give you more on standard wheels than any 50mm deep section wheeled bike on a 20 mile ride, if you get your position right.
  • Probably being a little biased here, but I would not recommend the C50's, I found that they had a very poor braking surface, took them back to the shop I purchased them from and without question Madison gave me a full refund...completely unexpected. Replaced them with Specialized CLX60's, same price as the C50's, they roll nicely on ceramic bearings and get up to speed fairly quickly. I use them for tt's (like you, just for fun), on the same bike that I use for club runs, so no aero-bars. The carbon braking surface was much better than the C50's, as long as you are aware of the extended braking distance in the wet they brake fairly well in the rain. As a bonus, they come with an excellent padded wheel bag.
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Setting aside the whole argument of whether you should or shouldn't (I'm sure there'll be plenty of advice along soon), I don't think you can beat a set of Zipp 60s. They are a bit weighty but I didn't feel this slows you down because they are a well built wheel so they feel good in most circumstances and they have real aero credentials (it's basically a top end well set that's now been superseded). I paid 700 euros or thereabouts.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Take a look at the Hed Jet or Swissside Hadron.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    On a TT bike you don't brake much so go with full carbon beside many carbon rims give excellent braking with the right pads.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.