Crank squeak when pedalling

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited December 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I was out on a longer ride earlier today on my hybrid when I noticed a squeak coming from the crank area when I pedalled. It wasn't there all the time. If I stopped pedalling then the squeak went away (bicycle was still in motion).

The squeak was happening at one point of the pedal stroke only - and always at that same point.

The squeak stopped if I stopped pedalling.

Any ideas on where I should look to determine the problem? The bike is over 4 years old now. New recent parts fitted are pedals, chain, cassette, seat post, seat post clamp and saddle. The drivetrain was cleaned and lubed a few days ago, as were the shifter cables.

I'm going to check the following to start with: quick-release levers secured properly, chainring bolts tightened (it's a triple), pedals tightened properly and lateral play in the cranks (with chain off the chainrings). I don't have the required tools for the cranks and bottom bracket if those are the issue so I may have to ask my LBS to have a look at it if I can't locate and resolve the issue myself.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would try servicing the pedals.
    Well, actually to be perfectly honest I would probably just ignore it. It may be a minor annoyance but it's not really a problem.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Try pedalling on each pedal in turn, if the squeak goes away its that pedal not the cranks.....I had a click I could have sworn was the Bb And was actually a pedal.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rumbataz
    Couldn't reproduce the creaking noise today. I took the pedals off and did notice that they came off quite easily, so I cleaned out the threads and put some anti-seize on and tightened them down with a lot more force. I also retorqued any bolt that I could and checked the seat post, seat rail clamp and seat post clamps.

Took the chain off the chainring and turned the pedals by hand and they turned smoothly with no lateral play.

I squirted a bit of GT85 here and there so we'll see if the creaking noise comes back.
  • rumbataz
    A quick update - no noises at all on a 20KM ride this morning. It must have been components bedding in as I've upgraded/replaced quite a few bits on the bike over the last month or so: chain, cassette, bar grips, inner tubes, tyres, brake rotors, brake pads, saddle, seat post and seat post clamp.

I went over the whole bike and checked all torque settings and realigned the brakes before setting off. This time the bike was silent and smooth, so fingers crossed it was just stuff bedding in.