XT brakes - replacement pads? ...

Archie McB
Archie McB Posts: 2
edited January 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning "All" - after an injury I have dusted off my bike at last and had a ride yesterday. My brakes had NO stopping power and were "groaning" they were brand new just before I stopped riding (some 18 months ago). After a bit of "Googling" it seems to be a problem with Shimano pads if left unused and from what I have read the answer is to change the pads? I obviously have cleaned rotors and pad faces with brake cleaner and ensured correct operation. Assuming I am to replace the pads which would you recommend? In years past I used sintered pads from Superstar Components but this is my first Shimano system. Any advice/experience in this area would be greatly appreciated.

All the best A ...

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Superstar or Uberbike, all from the same factory AFAIK.

And depending on what you call brake cleaner, clean the rotors again with IPA or similar. Most brake cleaners are fine on cars, not so good for bikes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Think you've ruined the pads I wouldn't have put brake cleaner on them.

Fit a new pair and bed in the pads but before as Cooldad says clean the disc first, I've been there and made the mistake of not doing it.
  • Pwalo
    Pwalo Posts: 6
    Hiya,I have had a similar issue with xt pads but major problem turned out to be a tiny brake fluid leak in the calliper bodies and replaced by shimano on warranty. The pads ended up with oil contamination. Regular car brake cleaner would do the trick but if you want to try throwing them in the oven to make sure any contamination with oil is burn off with heat. Obviously when the wife's out and use oven gloves
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Regular car brake cleaner DOES NOT do the trick, it leaves a residue that car brakes get hot enough to burn off but bike brakes don't and won't. Bad advice I'm afraid.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.