Specialized Power Saddle....

arranj
arranj Posts: 66
edited March 2017 in Road general
I ordered a Power expert last week to give a go as I was struggling to get along with the Romin I previously bought, however I just can't seem to dial it in.
I spend the majority of my time on the hoods, however was getting constant saddle sores due to the nose of the Romin so the Power seemed like a great option. Although I'm not sure it is as I can't get comfortable!

Does anyone have one and how are you getting on with it?
How did you achieve the desired fit vs previous measurements? (Saddle tip to Centre of handlebars)
Do you feel the wings of the saddle dig into your hamstrings if you push yourself back on the saddle?

Things I have tried to far:
5mm/10mm further back (Saddle tip to centre of bars)
2 degrees up at nose (Due to Romin like shape)
1 degree up at nose (Due to Romin like shape)

Currently with it at the same setback as the Romin (plus 3cm due to shorter nose) and 2 degrres up at front, I feel that I'm sitting more on soft tissue than I am my actual sit bones.
I was testing a 168mm Romin, and this is a 155mm, so either angle is wrong (although 2 degrees is recommended) or I've gone too narrow.

Any info on getting this fit fit better would be greatly received, as otherwise I think I'll have to try a Toupe.

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I ordered a Power expert last week to give a go as I was struggling to get along with the Romin I previously bought, however I just can't seem to dial it in.
    I spend the majority of my time on the hoods, however was getting constant saddle sores due to the nose of the Romin so the Power seemed like a great option. Although I'm not sure it is as I can't get comfortable!

Does anyone have one and how are you getting on with it?
    How did you achieve the desired fit vs previous measurements? (Saddle tip to Centre of handlebars)
    Do you feel the wings of the saddle dig into your hamstrings if you push yourself back on the saddle?

Things I have tried to far:
    5mm/10mm further back (Saddle tip to centre of bars)
    2 degrees up at nose (Due to Romin like shape)
    1 degree up at nose (Due to Romin like shape)

Currently with it at the same setback as the Romin (plus 3cm due to shorter nose) and 2 degrres up at front, I feel that I'm sitting more on soft tissue than I am my actual sit bones.
    I was testing a 168mm Romin, and this is a 155mm, so either angle is wrong (although 2 degrees is recommended) or I've gone too narrow.

Any info on getting this fit fit better would be greatly received, as otherwise I think I'll have to try a Toupe.

Sounds like a bike fit issue - are you sitting to upright - so the saddle is taking all the load

Whack the saddle up - lower the bars

Theres a big misnomer around at the moment that an upright position is best, IME you need to be leaning forward - this means the bars take some of your weight.

The Romin is a great saddle - it really cradles your ass - but I was actually digging into the saddle to such an extent that you could see indentations on the romins hard surface (and that was going through padded shorts as well)

I gave up and brought a leather brooks - *FOR ME* that was much better
  • I love my Power saddle (have a 143 mm S-Works model on my Crux and another on my Tarmac).

I also wondered about saddle setback, and from what I understood, you have done it correctly. You are meant to think of the saddle now not from the nose, but from where you sit. So it would be your normal saddle setback PLUS the difference in length of the short nose compared to a normal saddle.

Regarding width: I was recommended to have a 155 mm saddle instead of a 143 mm, but my Selle Italia saddles were always 138 mm, so it seemed odd to go even wider...but I might try a wider one (although they don't have any loan S-Works saddles, so then I can't tell as the padding will be different as well... :roll: )

I am getting a bikefit on Thursday on my new Tarmac (haven't had a bikefit for a few years, so all my bikes have the same base measurement, but I have changed a few things, such as the saddle, pedals, handlebars on most of the bikes). I will see if they do anything drastic with the saddle and let you know :)
  • arranj
    Sounds like a bike fit issue - are you sitting to upright - so the saddle is taking all the load

Whack the saddle up - lower the bars

Theres a big misnomer around at the moment that an upright position is best, IME you need to be leaning forward - this means the bars take some of your weight.

The Romin is a great saddle - it really cradles your ass - but I was actually digging into the saddle to such an extent that you could see indentations on the romins hard surface (and that was going through padded shorts as well)

I gave up and brought a leather brooks - *FOR ME* that was much better

I had a bike fit earlier in the year, so my position should be pretty much correct where it is.
    I completely agree with the leaning forward comment, and I am, but I do spend the majority of my time on the hoods as oppose to drops, which is probably more of a core issue than anything.
    The problem I have is that I cannot find any comfort with the saddle and am trying to dial it in, no no avail.

The Romin was good, it just didn't get along with my big thighs, which the Power handles amazingly, as there is no nose there is no discomfort there. Just the soft tissue / sitbone situation.
    jasonbrim wrote:
    I love my Power saddle (have a 143 mm S-Works model on my Crux and another on my Tarmac).

I also wondered about saddle setback, and from what I understood, you have done it correctly. You are meant to think of the saddle now not from the nose, but from where you sit. So it would be your normal saddle setback PLUS the difference in length of the short nose compared to a normal saddle.

Regarding width: I was recommended to have a 155 mm saddle instead of a 143 mm, but my Selle Italia saddles were always 138 mm, so it seemed odd to go even wider...but I might try a wider one (although they don't have any loan S-Works saddles, so then I can't tell as the padding will be different as well... :roll: )

I am getting a bikefit on Thursday on my new Tarmac (haven't had a bikefit for a few years, so all my bikes have the same base measurement, but I have changed a few things, such as the saddle, pedals, handlebars on most of the bikes). I will see if they do anything drastic with the saddle and let you know :)

Excellent please do let me know how you get on.

Do you not feel the wings of the saddle attacking your hamstrings when you push back on the saddle?
    I definitely wouldn't go thinner than a 155, my sitbones are ridiculously wide.
    Maybe this power is just too thin for me, I really don't know!
  • pirnie
    pirnie Posts: 242
    If the Power is anything like my ISM Adamo, (which I believe is based on a similar principle) then the trick I found is to put the nose down more. I have the front end of the saddle level which means the back end is sloping down towards the bars. This keeps the weight off the soft tissue and on the sit bones (so long as you don't end up sliding forwards onto the nose)
  • kingrollo
    Cycling mostly on the hoods is ringing alarm bells for me.

Just try briefly going onto the drops - does that feel better ?

I had major ass issues - I went for a fitting but as an older guy he fitted me in a more upright position, probably with the best intentions - but it just didn't work - I stumbled on a position whereby I can easily switch from hoods to drops.

You might want to sort that core issue out - I left it and cycled through the discomfort. In the end I was 3 years off the bike with ass pain. - I now think I am the expert is ass related issues - so keep in touch if you don't get it sorted .

[feels level of interest in another cyclist ass is unhealthy !!!!]
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Try the new Romin Evo. Completely different from the old one and 1 cm shorter. I prefer it to the Power.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Or try a Giant fitting saddle - they use a similar system to Fizik but it sos easy to use rather than guess.
  • arranj
    Stuck with Specialized options now due to their 30 day test etc. Not sure you can get a refund, just swap for other Spec saddles?

Found a little more comfort making a few adjustments, leaning forward more gives a lot more comfort, which leads me to believe that I do maybe need a saddle more suited to upright riding.
    I also felt that leaning forward more the saddle was giving more pressure to the inside of my sitbones, which backs up my suspicion that this shape and size is too narrow.
  • arranj
    Well I decided to get a wider version so I've put that on the bike now in the same position.
    Will give it a go tomorrow and fingers crossed it feels nice!
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610

Wut? Most road cyclists spend most of the time on the hoods...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • jasonbrim wrote:
    I love my Power saddle (have a 143 mm S-Works model on my Crux and another on my Tarmac).

Excellent please do let me know how you get on.

Do you not feel the wings of the saddle attacking your hamstrings when you push back on the saddle?
    I definitely wouldn't go thinner than a 155, my sitbones are ridiculously wide.
    Maybe this power is just too thin for me, I really don't know!

Hi again! My bikefit was good, and it seems my position with the saddle setback was the same before the fit as after, so I clearly found the right position. (Although we dropped my saddle 4 mm...I suppose that could be seen as a lot and not very much depending on how you see it.)

So my setback is 100 mm with my Power saddle, and I used to have it at about 50 mm with my "normal" saddle. I am trying out the 155 mm width at the moment, and it felt very comfortable on the 2 short rides I've done. I will need to compare it to the 143 mm version a bit more before I decide which one to put on the new bike (currently out of stock in the black S-Works version, so I have both widths on order). I definitely felt more stable on the 155 mm though, but it did feel different (undecided if good or bad) when in the drops.
  • kingrollo

Wut? Most road cyclists spend most of the time on the hoods...

Yes I know - but presumably most of those aren't experiencing problems like the poster mentioned.
    I had a hip and hamstring injury which meant sitting on any hard surface caused me discomfort. I had a bike fit from Adrian Timmis, and whilst it didn't solve my problem, one of the things he showed me was that it should be easy to change position from the hoods to the drops - which it now is ..I ride on the drops much more now.

Message to OP - ugly as it looks - whack a Brooks on your bike - i have the B17 with a cut out - its got me back on the bike after 3 years out....
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Brooks saddles make me want to ride headfirst into a bus.

Spending more time on the drops is pretty unnecessary in most cases.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • I went from Romin to Toupe but have now switched over to the Specialized Phenom Expert. Most comfortable I have tried.
  • arranj
    I've tried and tried and tried to get along with the power, but it's just not for me I don't think.

Going to drop down to Sigma and exchange it for a Toupe, failing that I might try the new Romin or Phenom.

There must be one Specalized saddle out there that fits my fat arse!
  • kingrollo
    I've tried and tried and tried to get along with the power, but it's just not for me I don't think.

Going to drop down to Sigma and exchange it for a Toupe, failing that I might try the new Romin or Phenom.

There must be one Specalized saddle out there that fits my fat ars*!

The b17 is where your heading mate - don't fight against it - embrace.....
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,208
    I spent a long time getting the right saddle which for me turns out to be the S-Works Power. I got measured in the Concept Store in Harrogate at 155mm. Previously I was measured at another store (I won't mention which) at 143mm where I bought a Phenom Expert in that size. That was a 30 mile saddle, i.e. after 30 miles it felt like my harris was splitting apart. Many many saddles later I now have the Power which just disappears under me.
    The trick for setting it up is to get the knee over the pedal spindle for the fore and aft adjustment, measure it with a plumb bob. The front part of the saddle should be level, this can be set up utilising a level app on a smart phone and laying it across the front part of the saddle. Just remember to calibrate the app first.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Can anyone with a 143 power saddle measure the actual width for me?

I ride a 143 Romin Evo at the moment. I tried a 155 (according to my 'sit bones' I should be between a 155 and 168) and it cut into my hamstrings causing some quite acute discomfort. I measured it and found the widest part of the 155 is actually 164mm.

I am curious to know what the width of the 143 is, compared to my 143 romin which is actually 143mm.