How to get rid of slight bike grime from wooden floor

damocles10
damocles10 Posts: 340
edited January 2016 in The cake stop
I have been renting a flat for 8 years and over this period the place I park my bike has become a little dirty, not too much, but it's noticeable. The dirt is from the tyres after wet rides and seems to be embedded in to small grooves in the wooden floor.

What's the best way to clean it?

Thanks

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    I used Cif cream the last time. But it wasn't long term ingrained.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I used Cif cream the last time. But it wasn't long term ingrained.

Thanks PBakeney, I shall look in to that.
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Pledge soapy wood cleaner seems to work well at drawing out ingrained muck and removing general dirt and dust.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Get some " Magic Squares " they are like a cross between Firelighters and Sponge. My Mrs works in Catering and brings them from work. They soak up Grease Oil like Well " Magic ". I use them on our Oak Flooring when I ve brought the bike into the Hall and its dropped Lube everywhere.

Can usually find them in Home Bargains or Pound land as well.

The other thing they are really good at is cleaning grease off my matt carbon Evo six, especially the White decaling.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944
    Not relevant here perhaps, but I used to use swarfega for getting grease out of my mums carpet. This usually happened when i was working on my motorbike and managed to walk it into the house. :mrgreen:

The older I get, the better I was.

• Have you tried baby wipes? They are surprisingly good at shifting all sorts of crud. Not sure about ingrained crud, though.
    If your landlord is riding your ass over this, then buy a cheap rug to cover the stain :mrgreen:
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Have you tried baby wipes? They are surprisingly good at shifting all sorts of crud. Not sure about ingrained crud, though.
    If your landlord is riding your ass over this, then buy a cheap rug to cover the stain :mrgreen:

It may be an issue later with the landlord....I will look in to the suggestions above. I have placed a plastic sheet on the floor for now.

Thanks guys
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    I use WD40 to get oil out of carpet, got to be worth a go.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Capt Slog wrote:
    getting grease out of my mums carpet.

I really hope that isn't a euphemism!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,317
    Get a Thai wife.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!