Adjusting the 'travel' on hydraulic brakes

jezza10181
jezza10181 Posts: 4
edited December 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Merry Christmas to you all, before we start :)

I have recently bought a Norco mountain bike, and I am pretty pleased with it. But over the weeks that I have had it, I have noticed a small change in the 'travel' of the brake levers.

Meaning, that I am having to pull in the brake levers a greater distance in order to feel the 'bite' of the brakes. I have put this change down to a 'bedding in process', meaning that a new bike will experience changes perhaps in cable tensions etc. So, I am thinking that maybe the oil level in the hydraulic reservoirs has fallen slightly, due to use, which has increased the travel on the brake levers.

How would it be possible to lessen the travel? Is this as simple a process as merely adding more oil to the reservoirs which are near the brake levers on the handlebars?

Thanks
Jeremy

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Have your pads worn? Winter conditions can wear pads very fast.
    The fluid level won't drop unless you have a leak. Some brakes have lever travel adjustment.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What brake?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Reduction in oil level won't cause increased travel unless it's fallen so much that it's let air in which will significantly reduce performance of brakes, probably stopping them from working at all. Brakes are designed with enough fluid capacity to allow fluid level to fall when pads wear without affecting brake performance. If fluid has fallen far enough to cause problems it will be due to a leak. Brakes should be auto adjusting to allow for brake pad wear. Adding fluid won't reduce travel.
    Could need a bleed, could be contaminated brake pads, as said some levers have adjustment for travel but as said need to know what brakes.