Bargain basement CX bikes - help choosing

kitkats
kitkats Posts: 8
edited January 2016 in Cyclocross
I live in rural Norfolk and I want to get a back into cycling which I used to love in central London (in the 2000's, before it was quite so busy). I like going off-road: on dirt tracks, the sides of fields and back lanes, as well as plenty of tarmac. So an entry-level CX / all-rounder / gravel bike seems ideal. I always used to prefer steel to alu in London, but maybe the fatter tyres on a CX would make up for the lack of flex.

I'm trying to keep it fairly cheap for one reason or another and so far am looking at 2 options: Halfords are doing the Voodoo Limba for £300, WIggle's Verenti Substance for £420. Or I could wait and find something second hand from eBay.

Voodoo Limba
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/voodoo-limba-cyclocross-road-bike
Pros: Cheap, nice paint job, stock tyres probably more useful in the short term,
Cons: Possibly poor front tyre clearance, No rack mounts

Wiggle Verenti Sora 2015
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-substance-sora-2015/
Pros: Build quality, Steel, Better kit
Cons: Costs more, drab colour

I'm not that au fait with geometries but I think they're pretty similar.

I'm interested to hear anyone's opinion. I know these are pretty cheap bikes and you get what you pay for, but maybe the Voodoo is actually slightly better value for money?

Comments

• Ebay in about a months time. CX season ends and you will be able to pick up a bargain. A Boardman CX Team would be right up your street.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    A Boardman CX Team would be right up your street.
    The Boardman Comp is available for a shade over £400 - this is with the current deal of 10% off everything before midnight Xmas day

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-cx-comp-bike
  • That Halfords Boardman for £405 would be really tempting but they only have up to the 55.5cm, and I'm 6'2" - dang. There's a nice Cannondale CAADX going on eBay today that I'm thinking about bidding on.
  • Any thoughts on this one? Someone has put Campag 9 speed shifters and rear DR on it with Shimano cassette. Maybe the carbon forks and optional carbon seat post would soften the ride a bit.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/252200341494
  • Reading around it looks like the 55.5cm might be the best size for me anyway, I do prefer smaller frame manouverability. Looks like decision time is tomorrow.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Norfolk flat right?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-isolation-cx12-singlespeed-2015/

Steel SS Reynolds 725 version...

£329.40 would be a bargin price for that framset only?
  • Single speed definitely no good around here. South Norfolk and the fens, maybe. But there are some hills here. I am thinking that second hand is the way to go, if I can feel confident about the seller and the bike.
  • Single speed definitely no good around here. South Norfolk and the fens, maybe. But there are some hills here. I am thinking that second hand is the way to go, if I can feel confident about the seller and the bike.

Did you get something or still looking?

I have one of the revolution CX bikes, fairly cheap and heavy but they all are at this price point new. I put some decent tyres on which made it a far better bike, I use it for mixed bridleways/roads since I'm a MTBer in the main.
  • I bought a CAADX Tiagra on eBay
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/cyclo-cross-bikes/cannondale-caadx-tiagra-cyclo-cross-bike
    It's got a few scratches and scrapes here and there, but I think I did the right thing and got a lot more bike for my money than something new. It came with Gatorskin tyres so I have a pair of Schwalbe CX Pro's on order to get me off-road.

The only thing I'm less than happy about is that the downtube seems very thin and I'm wondering if it's been dented slightly. If I hold a steel rule along the word 'CANNONDALE' there is a distinct dip of around 1 - 2mm at roughly the letter A, below the bottle cage mounts, on both sides. Maybe this is the designed profile of the tube or maybe someone's feet have caught it when out of the pedals, though there aren't really any scratches there.

Anyone else got a CAADX could see if their downtube is pinched the same way?

I haven't been able to get out on it yet due to family duties but it feels like a lovely bike.
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/cyclo-cross-bikes/cannondale-caadx-tiagra-cyclo-cross-bike
    It's got a few scratches and scrapes here and there, but I think I did the right thing and got a lot more bike for my money than something new. It came with Gatorskin tyres so I have a pair of Schwalbe CX Pro's on order to get me off-road.

The only thing I'm less than happy about is that the downtube seems very thin and I'm wondering if it's been dented slightly. If I hold a steel rule along the word 'CANNONDALE' there is a distinct dip of around 1 - 2mm at roughly the letter A, below the bottle cage mounts, on both sides. Maybe this is the designed profile of the tube or maybe someone's feet have caught it when out of the pedals, though there aren't really any scratches there.

I haven't been able to get out on it yet due to family duties but it feels like a lovely bike.

I purchased a new Caddex 105 on Saturday and will take a look for you today.

I purchased a new Caddex 105 on Saturday and will take a look for you today.

Ok just had a look, if you are talking about the down tube from the seat I'm afraid mine is dead straight, might be worth contacting the seller although sadly not everyone is honest. Maybe take it to a bike shop to get it looked at today because you do have protection buying through eBay if it has a fault that's not mentioned on the listing. I also saw the add for the bike and it was never pointed out in the listing.
  • Oh thank you that's really good of you. I was talking about the big fat down tube, as opposed to the seat tube.

I think I'll get my LBS to take a look, mentioned it to him today and he knew the frame.
  • Oh thank you that's really good of you. I was talking about the big fat down tube, as opposed to the seat tube.

I think I'll get my LBS to take a look, mentioned it to him today and he knew the frame.

I did wonder so took a look at that also but it also looked dead straight.
  • duke 2
    duke 2 Posts: 1
    I've got the Verenti. Bought it in October as a winter bike as I didnt fancy putting my Genesis Volare through a harsh winter.

I really can't fault it for the money to be honest, though here are my highs and lows after around 1000 mile:

Pros:

-Geometry - committed enough to be fairly quick on the flat but super comfortable too.
    -Finishing kit is great quality despite the price, something which is normally lacking on a budget bike
    -Its tough, I use alot of the really rough tracks around Newcastle on my commute and I havent so much as had a headset slacken off, a wheel need truing - nothing!
    -The sora groupset is a treat - only 9spd but the gearing spread is perfect for the genre of bike, shifting is quick, accurate and hasnt degraded in 3.5 months of winter muck. I am seriously impressed with it.

Cons:

-Despite being steel, it doesnt give a particurly forgiving ride quality. The forks are large in diameter and I think the wall thickness of the frame tubes must be quite big. Its harsh compared to my Genesis.
    -Weight - its around13kgs in size 58 and you can feel it on a long climb - to be expected from a cheap tough bike.
    -Brakes, avid BB5's - pretty crap to be honest, you could upgrade to BB7's but I despise all cable disks.
    -No front mudgaurd mounts despite them being on the back! :evil: - they have addressed this on the '16 bike.

Overall, I would definetely recommend it but only if you cant find a good second hand bargain. I got bored of looking for something second hand in my size which was local enough to pick up as most eBay stuff seemed to be collection only at the time.
  • dnrc
    dnrc Posts: 159
    where are you doing/planning to do your riding mate?

i live in norwich and have got a similar type of bike for the same reason as you.

I live in rural Norfolk and I want to get a back into cycling which I used to love in central London (in the 2000's, before it was quite so busy). I like going off-road: on dirt tracks, the sides of fields and back lanes, as well as plenty of tarmac. So an entry-level CX / all-rounder / gravel bike seems ideal. I always used to prefer steel to alu in London, but maybe the fatter tyres on a CX would make up for the lack of flex.

I'm trying to keep it fairly cheap for one reason or another and so far am looking at 2 options: Halfords are doing the Voodoo Limba for £300, WIggle's Verenti Substance for £420. Or I could wait and find something second hand from eBay.

Voodoo Limba
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/voodoo-limba-cyclocross-road-bike
    Pros: Cheap, nice paint job, stock tyres probably more useful in the short term,
    Cons: Possibly poor front tyre clearance, No rack mounts

Wiggle Verenti Sora 2015
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-substance-sora-2015/
    Pros: Build quality, Steel, Better kit
    Cons: Costs more, drab colour

I'm not that au fait with geometries but I think they're pretty similar.

I'm interested to hear anyone's opinion. I know these are pretty cheap bikes and you get what you pay for, but maybe the Voodoo is actually slightly better value for money?