Paris-Nice 2016 pre-race chat

No_Ta_Doctor
No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
edited February 2016 in Pro race
OK, it's a bloody long way off yet, but what better than looking forward to the Race to The Sun to get through these dark months of power data, disc brake controversies and terrible new kits?

Inner Ring preview here:

http://inrng.com/2015/12/2016-paris-nice-route/
Warning No formatter is installed for the format

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513
    At the BR Xmas drinks, I'm sure one of the forumites was suggesting that the race was more highly prized than the Vuelta (logic being that even Kelly won the Vuelta, and he was a no show at P-N), so basically it is the third GT or the first one of the year or something.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    At the BR Xmas drinks, I'm sure one of the forumites was suggesting that the race was more highly prized than the Vuelta (logic being that even Kelly won the Vuelta, and he was a no show at P-N), so basically it is the third GT or the first one of the year or something.

Errr.... Who was this mysterious forumite?

Kelly won Paris-Nice 7 times in a row, 82-88.

SEVEN times in a row.

We demand an unmasking.
  • Depends who is in it as the field as T A has become so much more superior

Someone like Gallopin could win depending on the field - but depends on who is doing San Luis ...Dubai etc

When Kelly err yes that's correct...won there was a few more chunders trying to get into shape and in 1983 him and two teammates were 1 2 3 - one of those was a young Steven Rooks

That sort of thing would be frowned on now.....seems different teams had different levels of 'fitness' early season
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Depends who is in it as the field as T A has become so much more superior

Someone like Gallopin could win depending on the field - but depends on who is doing San Luis ...Dubai etc

When Kelly err yes that's correct...won there was a few more chunders trying to get into shape and in 1983 him and two teammates were 1 2 3 - one of those was a young Steven Rooks

That sort of thing would be frowned on now.....seems different teams had different levels of 'fitness' early season
    Something cockeyed there.
    The Vuelta started 5/6 weeks after P,N,
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Depends who is in it as the field as T A has become so much more superior

Something cockeyed there.
    The Vuelta started 5/6 weeks after P,N,
    what vuelta? oh you mean in the olden days - the olden days were just different all round Hinault was well known for using the first few weeks to bury himself before the proper racing started.
  • I'm a big fan of this race and still rate it above T-A. I might try and pick up the finish in Commentry in 2016's edition.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    There appears to be more big names this year than for the last few. Could be quite interesting.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    I'm a big fan of this race and still rate it above T-A. I might try and pick up the finish in Commentry in 2016's edition.

I think P-N v T-A is a bit like The Tour v The Giro.

In both cases the French race is usually the more balanced, while the Italian one has the savage climbs.

And being a well-rounded individual / boring old fart [delete as applicable] I prefer the French races.
  • I'm a big fan of this race and still rate it above T-A. I might try and pick up the finish in Commentry in 2016's edition.

I think P-N v T-A is a bit like The Tour v The Giro.

In both cases the French race is usually the more balanced, while the Italian one has the savage climbs.

And being a well-rounded individual / boring old fart [delete as applicable] I prefer the French races.

I think we are both singing from the same hymn sheet on this one Doc. I like your Tour v Giro analogy. On which point I think it makes for a better (very) early doors run out for the core of a TdF team.
    @JaunePeril

• At the BR Xmas drinks, I'm sure one of the forumites was suggesting that the race was more highly prized than the Vuelta (logic being that even Kelly won the Vuelta, and he was a no show at P-N), so basically it is the third GT or the first one of the year or something.

Errr.... Who was this mysterious forumite?

Kelly won Paris-Nice 7 times in a row, 82-88.

SEVEN times in a row.

We demand an unmasking.

Certaintly
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    I confess that my memory is a little hazy. We were def knocking the Vuelta but I don't recall suggesting that P-N was more highly prized...
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    INRNG says:
    Stage 1 looks set for the sprinters as it heads southwest to Vendôme using those flat exposed roads you see in Paris-Tours only this time there’s a genuine novelty: gravel roads. There’s one 600m segment and another of 1300m, both limestone gravel to be covered late in the stage and it features in the clip above. ASO uses things like this as a test so it might not be long until this kind of obstacle appears in the Tour de France. It’s made for TV with added drama given the track runs alongside a cemetery. It’s been used before in the Tour du Loir-et-Cher.

So can we have a big whinge about ASO shifting from tradition to cater to bike manufacturers' desire to sell gravel bikes...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    I confess that my memory is a little hazy. We were def knocking the Vuelta but I don't recall suggesting that P-N was more highly prized...

I said winning a competitive PN is better then winning an uncompetitive Vuelta.
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    The finish at the Madone d'Utelle on Stage 6 is a beauty...

2nqbexk.jpg

Note the snow poles...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    So no takers for forgetting Kelly won it 7 times?

Oh well.

You know you're out there.....
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513

Oh well.

To be fair, there are people old enough to drink now that were born 5 years after Kelly's retirement, and I don't know much about cycling before I was born.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Oh well.

To be fair, there are people old enough to drink now that were born 5 years after Kelly's retirement, and I don't know much about cycling before I was born.

True. I shall call off the Stalinist purge of BR Pro Racing. I just hope they've learnt their lesson.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245

Oh well.

True. I shall call off the Stalinist purge of BR Pro Racing. I just hope they've learnt their lesson.

It's certainly Stalinist to call for heads to roll after receiving 3rd hand reports of a conversation...!
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Oh well.

It's certainly Stalinist to call for heads to roll after receiving 3rd hand reports of a conversation...!

3rd hand? Are you claiming my informant didn't witness this conversation personally?
    How would you know, unless....

*Makes note in file. Locks file in cabinet.*

Tank you, Mr. Chasey. You've been most....... helpful.
  • The finish at the Madone d'Utelle on Stage 6 is a beauty...

2nqbexk.jpg

Note the snow poles...

Outstanding. I wonder if those snow poles will be in use at the time of the race?
    @JaunePeril

• sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    first proper stage race of the season, always liked this one more than T-A. Although with them both being on the same week makes for a busy evening of catch up TV.

I've driven up Col D'Eze twice hopefully one year i'll get to do it on the bike too. Nice is a great part of the world to do some cycling in.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    first proper stage race of the season, always liked this one more than T-A. Although with them both being on the same week makes for a busy evening of catch up TV.

I've driven up Col D'Eze twice hopefully one year i'll get to do it on the bike too. Nice is a great part of the world to do some cycling in.
    It's better in the car. Col d'Eze is just a big wide road with quite a bit if traffic and not much of a view for most of the climb. Many much better roads for cycling around there.
    Now, Madone d'Utelle, that is spectacular
  • Gilbert, Ellisonde , Moinard and Molard having a reccy of a stage not sure which one but it looks like Spring already( just had a look it has to be the Nice - La Modane on penultimate stage) CW68pTjUwAAYcXw.jpg

CW68pTfUoAAjjUt.jpg
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Turns out by luck rather than judgement - even though I've always fancied doing the race - that I'm in Nice all week of the race. Unfortunately fly out on the Sunday so won't be able to see much of the final stage.

Anyone know where the riders start from in Nice on the Saturday morning and best options to see more of the race that day? Fancy taking a few pictures. Also likely hotels - I'm very central near Place Massena.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    The yvelines department bought the right to the start for 5 years which they now extended so again it starts on my doorstep! I missed it last year because I was in China, and looks like I might be again this year. I doubly enjoy it because there's always a mass participation event the day before so it's a good weekend of cycling for us locals!
    I'm happy it's starts with a prologue too, much better for bike and rider spotting before the start,
  • At last! A proper race. Can't wait for this one. My money is on my man Porte

Dimension Data: Tyler Farrar, Jacques Janse van Rensburg and Youcef Reguigui
    Giant–Alpecin: Tom Dumoulin and Simon Geschke
    Orica-GreenEDGE: Michael Albasini, Michael Matthews and Adam Yates
    Etixx–Quick-Step: Marcel Kittel, Tom Boonen and Niki Terpstra
    Lotto-Soudal: Tony Gallopin, Thomas De Gendt and Andre Greipel
    Movistar: Alex Dowsett, Jesus Herrada and Jose Joaquin Rojas
    BMC: Richie Porte, Rohan Dennis and Philippe Gilbert
    Cannondale: Pierre Rolland, Tom-Jelte Slagter and Andrew Talansky
    Trek-Segafredo: Laurent Didier and Frank Schleck
    Ag2r–La Mondiale: Romain Bardet, Alexis Vuillermoz and Alexis Gougeard
    Fortuneo-Vital Concept: Pierrick Fédrigo and Eduardo Sepúlveda
    Cofidis, Solutions Crédits: Nacer Bouhanni and Julien Simon
    FDJ: Arnaud Démare and Arthur Vichot
    Direct Énergie: Sylvain Chavanel, Bryan Coquard and Thomas Voeckler
    Delko Marseille Provence KTM: Leonardo Duque and Yannick Martinez
    Team Sky: Geraint Thomas and Mikel Nieve
    Lampre-Merida: Rui Costa and Louis Meintjes
    Astana: Lars Boom, Lieuwe Westra and L. L. Sánchez
    Team LottoNL–Jumbo: Wilco Kelderman and Steven Kruijswijk
    Team Katusha: Alexander Kristoff, Simon Špilak and Ilnur Zakarin
    Tinkoff: Alberto Contador and Rafal Majka
    IAM: Jerome Coppel and Stefan Denifl
  • Turns out by luck rather than judgement - even though I've always fancied doing the race - that I'm in Nice all week of the race. Unfortunately fly out on the Sunday so won't be able to see much of the final stage.

Anyone know where the riders start from in Nice on the Saturday morning and best options to see more of the race that day? Fancy taking a few pictures. Also likely hotels - I'm very central near Place Massena.

I also just happen to be in Nice that weekend, I fly back on the Monday evening so will get chance to see both stages.

There does seem to be a lack of info available regarding a more detailed route map, stage timings.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Turns out by luck rather than judgement - even though I've always fancied doing the race - that I'm in Nice all week of the race. Unfortunately fly out on the Sunday so won't be able to see much of the final stage.

I also just happen to be in Nice that weekend, I fly back on the Monday evening so will get chance to see both stages.

There does seem to be a lack of info available regarding a more detailed route map, stage timings.

half way down on the right, all the details
    http://www.steephill.tv/paris-nice/
  • inseine wrote:

half way down on the right, all the details
    http://www.steephill.tv/paris-nice/

Cheers, that's exactly what I've been looking for.