Front Chainring..

skooter
skooter Posts: 264
edited December 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm thinking on buying a mtb perhaps a Trek X-Caliber which is fitted with a 38x22 front chainring so would it be OK if I went to perhaps 42x28
I would need a longer chain but would that be OK to do?

Cheers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes and yes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • skooter
    Thanks Rookie.. I have to buy each ring separately I suppose which is know problem?
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Thanks Rookie.. I have to buy each ring separately I suppose which is know problem?

Just make sure you buy chain rings that are compatible with 2 or 3x front gear setups so you have the shift ramps on them for the chain to move up/down.

A lot of chain rings these days are made for 1x gear setups and wont work on double or triple gear setups.
  • skooter
    Thanks sword 1..
    Just got myself a Trek Superfly 5 in the end and not the X- Caliber as the Superfly was just silly money and too hard to say no at the price.. But it still has the 38/22 so I will still change them?

Cheers
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why not just try it and see?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • skooter
    I will give it a try for sure, but its only a pleasure bike not a racer? :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What's that got to do with it?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • skooter
    edited December 2015
    Its got a lot to do with it...

Over here most of the mountain bikers race..they do all rough terrain riding over gravel, rocks, and boulders with 30% plus steep bits on 5 to 7 klm climbs.
    When I get the bike back to the UK I will be very tame doing bridle ways and foot paths plus roads too rough for a road bike? a bit tame I know.
  • Thanks Rookie support issues
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    If it's just for casual riding it's a costly change to a brand new bike and probably won't make a blind bit of difference..

I dont even know what number of teeth are on my chain ring! I'll only care about it when it wares out and I need a new one :oops:

I wouldnt bother changing the rings.
  • skooter
    I will just try it out first for sure but I wanted to know if I could change the front chain ring because once I've rode the bike I can't take it back to the shop and I would be well hacked off if I wanted to change it and I couldn't.. :)