Challenge Limus vs Baby Limus Clinchers

skyblueamateur
skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
edited December 2015 in Cyclocross
What's the difference between the Limus and Baby Limus clinchers? Is it worth using latex tubes with these?

Comments

• VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    What's the difference between the Limus and Baby Limus clinchers? Is it worth using latex tubes with these?

Just the tread pattern, the Baby has finer blocks in the central section, for a more of an intermediate tyre ride. Latex tubes will give you a bit more suppleness and the option to drop pressures a bit lower than with butyl tubes.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Really though if your spending £10 a pop on Latex Tubes and £40 a pop on top end Challenge clinchers you should really think about investing in Tubulars.
  • VamP
    Really though if your spending £10 a pop on Latex Tubes and £40 a pop on top end Challenge clinchers you should really think about investing in Tubulars.

Pssst. I quite like the way everyone on clinchers is suddenly finishing ten places further back come the muddy half of the season.
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040

Pssst. I quite like the way everyone on clinchers is suddenly finishing ten places further back come the muddy half of the season.

I must be bucking the trend then as I am finishing ten places further up! I only run (wide) butyl inner tubes too.

I like clinchers as they are cheap (I run Michelin Mud2 and Clement PDX so these can be had at around £25 a pop) and can easily be swapped. The better guys in my races are not beating me because of my tyre choice but because of their talent and fitness. The only times I have felt at a disadvantage in muddy races has been because I only have one bike, as I see my competitors emerge from the pits on a shiny clean bike and promptly pull away from me.

I think many people on clinchers run far too high pressures.

I did a practice lap at York on my PDX clinchers at about 28/ 29 psi and then just let a bit out of both tyres at the start line, so probably was running mid 20s. Obviously you can run a fair bit lower on tubs, but I was getting good grip right round the course so clinchers have been good enough for me. I weight about 11.5 stone so am not a feather weight. I haven't had any punctures in 2 years. I run a bit higher for rooty courses.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    trust me 11.5 stone is a featherweight...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Quite a lot of our races in the NE (particularly in the non BC series) are muddy and have rocky/rooty sections so low pressure and clinchers just don't work. But agree as ever with everything cycling related its 99% legs and 1% bike setup.
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    Quite a lot of our races in the NE (particularly in the non BC series) are muddy and have rocky/rooty sections so low pressure and clinchers just don't work. But agree as ever with everything cycling related its 99% legs and 1% bike setup.

Yes, you do have to be fairly careful when dropping pressures a lot on clinchers. York had bits of stone on section of the course, presumably left over from the hardcore used for the building the track. Tree roots too on many courses, so you definitely have to pick your line to avoid puncture hazards.
  • VamP
    Obviously there's a technique versus equipment thing going on here, but I'd have to slow down a lot to hustle a bike round a muddy course at 25 psi. There's miraculous little grip advantages that suddenly become available even in small pressure drops say from 18 to 16 psi, which can gain you yards in one corner. I'm not very technically proficient, but always do quite well in these kind of conditions.
    A gifted rider may gain similar advantage from superior technique despite the equipment handicap.
  • Many thanks. Some great advice.

I'm a newbie to cross and my handling andtechnique is frankly shocking. With the amount of rain we've had my stock Conti CX kings are not cutting the mustard.

I've gone for the cheaper michellin mud 2. Fingers crossed they'll help.