Garmin Edge 1000 etc...

MiniMalts
MiniMalts Posts: 266
edited January 2016 in Tour & expedition
Anyone have any experience of turn by turn GPS systems for bikes?

Also, if I wanted to cycle NCN 7, is there an option on the GPS to select this specific route or do they only have roads like the car GPS systems?

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    I do.
    Also, if I wanted to cycle NCN 7, is there an option on the GPS to select this specific route or do they only have roads like the car GPS systems?
    To do that I would use a website to create a route following NCN 7 (or any route I wanted to follow) and then put that route on the Garmin. Then the Garmin can give you turn by turn directions along the route you specified (if you have suitable maps installed).

I (almost) never just select a destination on my Garmin and have it create a route for me to follow. I always create a route beforehand. I use RideWithGPS to create my routes.
  • Great, thanks. :)

I'm looking to cycle NCN 7 and the Trans Penine Trail next year. Looking at the route of the TPT on a map there are a lot of turns at the start (West) and don't want to waste time stopping to look at maps all the time. :/
  • And what do you mean by "suitable maps"?
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    edited December 2015
    I think that the Garmin GPSes come with Open Street Map mapping. These will show NCN cycle routes. If you need to, you can also download OSM maps in Garmin format. My favourites are from openfietsmap.nl

You can set the 'autorouting' so that it prefers cycle routes and bike-friendly roads. The results can be a bit hit-and-miss so always keep an eye on what it is telling you to do. Also it's best to use it over shortish stages, as the longer the distance the more chance of an error. I prefer not to use this, and use tracks instead, but with the NCN you should be OK.

Oh and if you just want to follow a route then a Edge 1000 is way more than you need - it has lots of features that are useful for training, but if you don't want these, I would look at something like the Edge Touring or even eTrex 20.
  • wongataa
    And what do you mean by "suitable maps"?
    Some devices come with pre installed maps. Some don't and you would have to provide suitable maps (of the correct area, with routing etc) yourself.
  • And what do you mean by "suitable maps"?
    Some devices come with pre installed maps. Some don't and you would have to provide suitable maps (of the correct area, with routing etc) yourself.

So from what I can tell, both the Garmin Edge 1000 and Edge Explore 1000 both come with base maps only and any further detailed maps will have be added separately? at further cost no doubt?

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/catalog/product/compareResult.ep?compareProduct=134491&compareProduct=522791&compareProduct=112912

What devices with come with full maps?
  • MiniMalts
    wongataa wrote:
    I do.
    To do that I would use a website to create a route following NCN 7 (or any route I wanted to follow) and then put that route on the Garmin. Then the Garmin can give you turn by turn directions along the route you specified (if you have suitable maps installed).

I (almost) never just select a destination on my Garmin and have it create a route for me to follow. I always create a route beforehand. I use RideWithGPS to create my routes.

OK, so I've planned my route in the 'PLAN' section on RideWithGPS. How do I upload the routes to my Garmin Edge 1000?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    To do it manually you save the file to the New Files folder on your Garmin (treat it as an external drive). Restart the Garmin and it should appear in Routes.

The issue with Garmin 1000 is with certain settings (I think with Turn Guidance turned on) it calculates a route which isn't necessarily the one you uploaded. You should also turn off the "stay on roads" setting too.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • MiniMalts
    To do it manually you save the file to the New Files folder on your Garmin (treat it as an external drive). Restart the Garmin and it should appear in Routes.

The issue with Garmin 1000 is with certain settings (I think with Turn Guidance turned on) it calculates a route which isn't necessarily the one you uploaded. You should also turn off the "stay on roads" setting too.

Yeah, that bit is fine. It turns out I have to pay to be able to download the file. :/

Are there any websites like this that are free?
  • meanredspider
    The Garmin connect site is acceptable. I've been able to put routes in - where it goes a bit wrong is if you let it choose routes - it's taken down some bizarre routes. But if you know where you want to go, it's fine. Then you can just "upload to device" which is easier.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I think RidewithGPS will allow you to download a GPX file which you can copy onto the Garmin yourself. I think you only have to pay if you want it to send the route directly to the device.
  • You need to install decent maps
    The base map only has major roads.
    You can do this the expensive way . Or the free way!!!

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/down ... 00810.html
    Then use strava route builder, ride with GPS or whatever and imoprt to the Garmin for full TBT
  • MiniMalts
    apreading wrote:
    I think RidewithGPS will allow you to download a GPX file which you can copy onto the Garmin yourself. I think you only have to pay if you want it to send the route directly to the device.

Really? well if someone can tell me how I'd be extremely grateful. :)
  • meanredspider
    You need to install decent maps

Then use strava route builder, ride with GPS or whatever and imoprt to the Garmin for full TBT

Which 1000 are we talking about? Mine has sandy seaside Dutch bike trails pre-installed.
  • MiniMalts

Which 1000 are we talking about? Mine has sandy seaside Dutch bike trails pre-installed.

I was just thinking that the maps on my 1000 are pretty good but the link posted suggests it just has a few streets. I'm currently in a village in East Yorkshire and I can see all the streets around me...

I have this one. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-100 ... 5360654525

I notice there is a cheaper version of the 1000, perhaps this has less maps?
  • apreading
    MiniMalts wrote:
    apreading wrote:

When viewing the route, on the right hand menus, there should be an Export tab - scroll down to GPX track, click on the link and save the file. If the 1000 is like the older Garmins, then copy this file to the \Garmin\New Files\ folder on the device. When you turn it on it should be there.

Alternatively, on your Routes page, where they are all listed, select the route and underneath (where the details are) you can click to export at GPX, TCX or KML (do either of the first two).
  • meanredspider
    MiniMalts wrote:

I was just thinking that the maps on my 1000 are pretty good but the link posted suggests it just has a few streets. I'm currently in a village in East Yorkshire and I can see all the streets around me...

Same as me - you don't need extra maps.
  • MiniMalts
    apreading wrote:
    MiniMalts wrote:
    apreading wrote:

When viewing the route, on the right hand menus, there should be an Export tab - scroll down to GPX track, click on the link and save the file. If the 1000 is like the older Garmins, then copy this file to the \Garmin\New Files\ folder on the device. When you turn it on it should be there.

Alternatively, on your Routes page, where they are all listed, select the route and underneath (where the details are) you can click to export at GPX, TCX or KML (do either of the first two).

Yep, when I do that a pop up box appears telling me about Basic subscription for $6/month.
  • MiniMalts
    MiniMalts wrote:

Same as me - you don't need extra maps.

Great. :)
  • MiniMalts
    It turns out Strava Route Builder is free. :)
  • apreading
    MiniMalts wrote:
    apreading wrote:
    MiniMalts wrote:
    apreading wrote:

Yep, when I do that a pop up box appears telling me about Basic subscription for $6/month.

Strange - I dont get that, it just downloads the file and I dont pay - my account level is called 'Starter'. Unless it lets me do it because I registered in 2010, but I wouldnt have thought so.
  • MiniMalts
    Which navigation files should I use for my Edge 1000. .tcx or .gpx?
  • wongataa
    MiniMalts wrote:
    Doesn't matter that much. TCX can contain course points and GPX can't so if you have course points use TCX. Just make sure you use the track option for whatever you choose. I use GPX files personally.
  • MiniMalts
    wongataa wrote:
    MiniMalts wrote:
    Doesn't matter that much. TCX can contain course points and GPX can't so if you have course points use TCX. Just make sure you use the track option for whatever you choose. I use GPX files personally.

Course points? Track option? :?: :?
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    I have a Garmin Edge 800 with City Navigator maps. It's route planning is worse than you could ever imagine. It will send you on massive detours for anything over about 5km. What I did on my last two tours was to plan the route on ridewithgps and then export it to my Garmin. I think ridewithgps uses Google Maps so you have to be careful it doesn't send you down rough trails not suitable for a Tourer. Not perfect but better than using your Edge to plan routes.