Commute fail Tuesday

tlw1
tlw1 Posts: 21,831
edited December 2015 in The bottom bracket
Lasts nights last minute decision to commute lasted 5 miles and then one of the Chinese lights failed - decided against gambling on the other one lasting for 2hrs and my back up English light only lasts an hour :(

So back home having a quick cup of tea and watching sooty with the rugrats. Then a boring drive to work where I have fun meetings and a chance to fully charge my light and hope (against all evidence) that it was charge related

Later will probably be a run now and not much else as I slept badly and got up early for no ferkin reason

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Not commuted since September 2014.
    May never again.
    Looking out the window, this is a good thing.

Final preparations for Christmas, and chill.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Commute fail for me too, wimped out as I'm fookin' exhausted and the forecast was more than a little blowy. Only on half day so getting home will be no trouble in the car. Knackered as we got a call to take the girl to the hospital for 5pm last night. We were there until 9:30 and they did loads of tests and gave her various things to try and none of it particularly worked. The only thing that helped was some anti dizziness medication. They've now referred her for an MRI to see if there is anything else going on. Hopefully the Christmas break will help.
    Better news is I cracked open the Pandoro I bought for the office, now have a second cup of tea to wash down another slice. Excellent.
  • Hello all.
    Motorised transport for me today too. Mrs BBG is working very hard on a work project with an unreasonable deadline so I have volunteered to do the shopping. Chocolate log will be involved.
    I have been invited out for drinks tonight but don't want to go. Bah humbug.
    Tomorrow's weather looks better so I might bunk off and go for a ride. Better clear my own desk first.
    Bye all.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Commute fail for me also. I discovered after removing my inner tube that my master plan to skive off work and fix my puncture had one major flaw, I don't have a pump at work :?

2 and a half days left, roll on Christmas!

Sorry to hear about your daughter V68, I hope all is ok and you have a worry free Christmas.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • veronese68
    Sorry to hear about your daughter V68, I hope all is ok and you have a worry free Christmas.
    Thanks. The problem is there is nothing seriously wrong with her in the medical sense. Like a brain haemorrhage or tumour. But it's serious enough to have kept her off school for 6 weeks. So whilst we know there's nothing life threatening, we know it can't carry on like this and are struggling to get much done. Frustrating doesn't really cover it.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Thanks. The problem is there is nothing seriously wrong with her in the medical sense. Like a brain haemorrhage or tumour. But it's serious enough to have kept her off school for 6 weeks. So whilst we know there's nothing life threatening, we know it can't carry on like this and are struggling to get much done. Frustrating doesn't really cover it.
    6 weeks! Sorry, I'd missed that if you mentioned it before. I can understand your frustration. Hopefully it's just some growing phase anomaly, that will disappear as quickly as it came and not return. Good luck.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Commute fail for me too, had to use the Mini instead of the Navara.

Today I'm going to add a chunk of money on to a job so that if we get it it pays well, if we don't then I'm not that fussed.

Giving blood later today as I'm a super rare AB- type of guy so it's important that I do.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I'm working from home today (which judging by the near horizontal trees outside seems like a good thing) so a bad day for commuting today it seems!

V68 - has your daughter recently had a growth spurt? I used to get dizzy quite often when i was younger (like when you stand up too quickly and get light headed), doesnt sound as bad as your daughter's though, and it was around the time i went from under 5 foot to about 6 foot in a short space of time. Hope it all gets sorted.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Still on leave so than you tax payers of Britain for buying me lunch and a 4 pack of Double Deckers.

Took The Hound for a walk, did good Samaritan bit by scraping woman off road who had fallen off her bike and am now just awaiting return of brother from Away, as they call it.

V68 - hope all goes well - rubbish to hear things like this at this time of year - or any other, in fact,
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Back from saving three lives according to the nurse. Enquired about platelet donation but thats not happening. 2hr donating time every two or three weeks and a round trip into manchester to do it.

Nope.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Evening

Did you get a picture of her Noorks whilst she was on the deck MF?

Chewsday almost over. Must go and cook for toots and sick mum.
    Feel half normal today - that's an improvement. If I improve at this rate, may go for an xmas day ride.

I bought some battery powered lights that are A1 TLW, if you want to know.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Matthewfalle
    Evening

Feel half normal today - that's an improvement. If I improve at this rate, may go for an xmas day ride.

Laters.

Unfortunately not, but was like a posh burd from the posh houses up the road, so the foundations have been laid for future noooork picture taking - I'll keep you informed. Bit of a cutie she was as well, even covered in road rash and gank.

Needed to clean and oil her chain though, but I didn't think it was the best time to mention it.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Commute fail for me too, wimped out as I'm fookin' exhausted and the forecast was more than a little blowy. Only on half day so getting home will be no trouble in the car. Knackered as we got a call to take the girl to the hospital for 5pm last night. We were there until 9:30 and they did loads of tests and gave her various things to try and none of it particularly worked. The only thing that helped was some anti dizziness medication. They've now referred her for an MRI to see if there is anything else going on. Hopefully the Christmas break will help.
    Better news is I cracked open the Pandoro I bought for the office, now have a second cup of tea to wash down another slice. Excellent.
    That sucks mate. Hope you get her sorted out soon.

A busy day doesn't really do it justice but currently trying to finish off at work so I can leave the minions to it over Christmas. Will try for a sneaky beer on the way home though :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Evening

Laters.

Unfortunately not, but was like a posh burd? from the posh houses up the road, so the foundations have been laid for future noooork picture taking - I'll keep you informed. Bit of a cutie she was as well, even covered in road rash and gank.

Needed to clean and oil her chain though, but I didn't think it was the best time to mention it.

I thought you were in Wales.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Matthewfalle
    Evening

Laters.

Unfortunately not, but was like a posh burd? from the posh houses up the road, so the foundations have been laid for future noooork picture taking - I'll keep you informed. Bit of a cutie she was as well, even covered in road rash and gank.

I thought you were in Wales.

By posh I mean that it looked like she had all her own teeth.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I managed today but burger me it was extremely windy - struggled to get above 12mph on a downhill section!
  • tlw1
    I managed today but burger me it was extremely windy - struggled to get above 12mph on a downhill section!

I didn't even do 12 miles :( and when I got to work the charger said the battery was charged :(
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    evening Lords and Witches

day out shopping, not sure it can be called a success. Have to wait and see.
    Managed to get out for 25 miles before the horizontal rain started n I thought I am pretty close to home here may ditch. Then got hit by a car who thought they would drive at me. Fun

MTB has problems too, rear brakes *hydr deore disk M468 IRC full lever is soft as anything and no brake movement. Suggestions anyone?

MF I feel sorry for you, I have students/tax payers/parents pay my salary and they send their teenage/20 something children for me to punish.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • tlw1

Managed to get out for 25 miles before the horizontal rain started n I thought I am pretty close to home here may ditch. Then got hit by a car who thought they would drive at me. Fun

MTB has problems too, rear brakes *hydr deore disk M468 IRC full lever is soft as anything and no brake movement. Suggestions anyone?

MF I feel sorry for you, I have students/tax payers/parents pay my salary and they send their teenage/20 something children for me to punish.

Hit by a car! Is the bike ok?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167

Soft brake lever might mean you need to bleed the brakes. Water or air in the system? Not sure about the no movement bit though.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Flâneur
    Yeah all fine thanks, maybe a bruised arm tomorrow. Was cycling down a road between parked cars either side, lady from the other way decides she wants to go too and just drives, I managed to squeeze a gap between her and a parked car, nailing both wing mirrors but otherwise all upright. She comes back and says sorry I didn't see you. Guess 1 chinese lamp, 1 cat eye 800 and a moon mask blinking isn't enough.

TBH I didn't think she was going to stop and turn around, I hung around just to see if she did and work out why she did it/let her know I was ok. TBH glad to just know she had a bad moment rather than hated cyclists/a total arsehole move

I slowed down but was soaking wet so thought the gap ws better than slow brakes and car bonnet.

No idea how to bleed brakes, quick bike shop tomorrow it is. Prob air I reckon from having to fuck around with it recently
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • tlw1
    Yeah all fine thanks, maybe a bruised arm tomorrow. Was cycling down a road between parked cars either side, lady from the other way decides she wants to go too and just drives, I managed to squeeze a gap between her and a parked car, nailing both wing mirrors but otherwise all upright. She comes back and says sorry I didn't see you. Guess 1 chinese lamp, 1 cat eye 800 and a moon mask blinking isn't enough.

TBH I didn't think she was going to stop and turn around, I hung around just to see if she did and work out why she did it/let her know I was ok. TBH glad to just know she had a bad moment rather than hated cyclists/a total arsehole move

I slowed down but was soaking wet so thought the gap ws better than slow brakes and car bonnet.

No idea how to bleed brakes, quick bike shop tomorrow it is. Prob air I reckon from having to fark around with it recently

Got a couple of good bike shops in Chester if any use. Simon owns the edge and Chris at Cheshire oak cycles - both helpful
  • Flâneur
    I tend to use Moreton Cycles as it is closer to home. The edge have always been good when I have rushed in tho. Nearly bought a new MTB in there the other week until sense took hold. Always next time
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • veronese68
    You can learn to fix a bike yourself, not quite as easy to fix yourself. Glad you only hit wing mirrors. Busy afternoon, but done all my shopping so Thursday afternoon can be spent in the pub.
  • Matthewfalle
    Errr - near Chester?

In the name of Yahweh, Allah, God and all things much, much, much more powerful than even I, please don't say that you live in Alsager.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Flâneur
    You can learn to fix a bike yourself, not quite as easy to fix yourself. Glad you only hit wing mirrors. Busy afternoon, but done all my shopping so Thursday afternoon can be spent in the pub.

I will in future but it is a time thing/getting a bleed kit in time. I generally start trying to do stuff, mess up/run out of time before needing a bike n run into the shop with beer or biscuits. Tends to work a miracle for the bill and instant fix.
    MF I don't believe that is for me as I don't
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • veronese68
    Epic bleed solutions for a bleed kit.
  • Matthewfalle
    Epic bleed solutions for a bleed kit.

Epic napalm solutions for napalming Alsager