xc/trail forks 100-120 29er

eric_draven
eric_draven Posts: 1,192
edited December 2015 in MTB buying advice
Right i'm looking at replacing my fox 32 CTD forks with some thing a little more compliant as the 32's are harsh an awful,I have been looking at three options for replacements,looking at about £400 max

Marzocchi 320lcr 100-120mm
Rockshox Revelation RCT3 120mm
Rockshox Reba RL solo air 120mm

these will be going on a Cotic Solaris,they don't need to be super light
any opinions on these or other options

Comments

• Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    New Yari?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Yari is more of an enduro / freeride fork. Very heavy as a trail fork.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The REV RCT3 has a better damper than the Reba RL and probably slightly better suited to a Solaris IMO, otherwise they are much of a muchness and share a few parts.

Don't know much about the mazza so won't comment.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Twelly
    In 120mm 29er form it is a small weight penalty (3-400g) for a fork which will be much stiffer than Rev/Reba/Sid and should perform better.
  • rockmonkeysc
    In 120mm 29er form it is a small weight penalty (3-400g) for a fork which will be much stiffer than Rev/Reba/Sid and should perform better.

I doubt it will perform better than a decent Revelation, the Yari has a pretty basic damper.
    300g is quite a lot and a 120mm 29error isn't really designed for the sort of riding where a stiff fork becomes beneficial plus to get the benefit of a stiff fork you need a stiff set of wheels which could easily push the weight penalty up over 500g.
  • Ive got Rockshox Revelatio RCT3 on my Parkwood in 140mm form and as far as i can tell they are pretty good forks. Surprisingly good small bump sensitivy and always seem smooth and controlled over big stuff. Wouldnt bother with a Yari, even with 32mm stantions on a 29er fork my revs seem stiff enough with the 15mm maxle.
    Framebuilder
    Handbuilt Steel 29er https://goo.gl/RYSbaa
    Carbon Stumpjumper https://goo.gl/xJNFcv
    Parkwood:http://goo.gl/Gf8xkL
    Ribble Gran Fondo https://goo.gl/ZpTFXz
    Triban:http://goo.gl/v63FBB
  • eric_draven
    The Revs were pretty much what I was looking at,the only 120mm ones i can find are in the States but still not badly priced even with the import charges,still considering the Zocchi's as they can be picked up stupid cheap if you shop around,but can't really find much info on them
  • Twelly

I doubt it will perform better than a decent Revelation, the Yari has a pretty basic damper.
    300g is quite a lot and a 120mm 29error isn't really designed for the sort of riding where a stiff fork becomes beneficial plus to get the benefit of a stiff fork you need a stiff set of wheels which could easily push the weight penalty up over 500g.

I think a Solaris definatley is the kind of 120mm 29erererrrer that might need a burly fork, especially if rider weight is above average, OP said weight is not a priority. Seen a fee Solaris' at enduro races. One pervert even had his set up singlespeed...

I'm only suggesting the Yari because I am in the process of building a short travel 29er which can take a beating but still be good for all day mile munching. I am 95-100kg with gear on and I definately find 15mm Maxle Revs a bit noodly, I had some QR Rebas a while ago and they were terrible through fast corners. I'm going with a Yari or a Pike if I can find one in 120mm form.
  • Twelly
    The Revs were pretty much what I was looking at,the only 120mm ones i can find are in the States but still not badly priced even with the import charges,still considering the Zocchi's as they can be picked up stupid cheap if you shop around,but can't really find much info on them

If you want to go down the light and XC route, CRC have some carbon Zocchi's on sale at the moment, can br adjusted to 120mm apparently and silly light.
  • eric_draven

I think a Solaris definatley is the kind of 120mm 29erererrrer that might need a burly fork, especially if rider weight is above average, OP said weight is not a priority. Seen a fee Solaris' at enduro races. One pervert even had his set up singlespeed...

I'm only suggesting the Yari because I am in the process of building a short travel 29er which can take a beating but still be good for all day mile munching. I am 95-100kg with gear on and I definitely find 15mm Maxle Revs a bit noodly, I had some QR Rebas a while ago and they were terrible through fast corners. I'm going with a Yari or a Pike if I can find one in 120mm form.

I'm running Fox 32's at the moment and find them more stiff enough for what i'm riding on it,I'm around 90/92kg,just that I don't really like the CTD settings as i cannot get them to feel like what i want,the yari's actually seem a tad to heavy
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm with RMSC (sorry), the Yari is too much fork for the bike, I disagree that you would ride a Sokaris like that, it's not a hardcore Hardtail and adding 3-400g and a worse damper for similar money seems the wrong step.

In your shoes I'd get the Rev, but I'm not familiar with Mazza's and like the easy to work on nature of the RS offerings
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I've seen Boardman 29ers and Specialized Hardrocks at enduro races, doesn't mean they're hard riding enduro bikes.
    The Solaris is a trail bike, a Revelation would be perfect. Stiffer and better damped than a Fox 32.
    The X Fusion Trace is also a good option. Lighter than a Pike and stiffer than a Revelation