chris217
chris217 Posts: 217
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
SYNAPSE CARBON DISC
DEFY ADV PRO 1
DIVERGE CARBON
BMC GF01
GT GRADE

appreciate i have given little info re what i intend to do with the bike but suffice to say i am;
mid forties, work in middle mgt , mid life crisis looming , not really riding enough, and thinks by spending few quid on bike = HAPPY
bit like most BR readers !!!!

cheers

Comments

• bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Looking at the bikes on the shortlist, I'm wondering why you have omitted the Trek Domane range?

When I was looking for a new bike I tested most of your list, and for me, the Domane 5.2 was a clear winner.
    Comfortable, fast and smooth - whats not to like!!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Save the cash and spend it on a bike holiday abroad. Mallorca or the South of France will make cyling seem a lot more interesting than just a more expensive bike in the garage.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Save the cash and spend it on a bike holiday abroad. Mallorca or the South of France will make cyling seem a lot more interesting than just a more expensive bike in the garage.

Rubbish as all you will wish is you had a nice shiny new bike to ride on said holiday.

Which one is the more desirable to you?

seriously I think they will all be great bikes but which one does it for you and will make you want to ride?
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • chris217
    Cheers , you make an important point ' it's about riding"' and any bike that encourages you to do that is the right bike.

Currently riding a basic but still very good Defy Adv 3 with mech discs and actually it currently looks like a cross bike given the amount of road muck on it.....but I love riding it

In a slightly delusional state the marketing hype for "Adventure bikes " has got to me and I think that I need a bike with off road capability

Having said that my Defy with 28mm tyres is not bad on rough tracks and with not actually sure I need much more

...think I need a holiday ,,,,!,,
  • I just bought a Jamis Renegade Elite - I don't think Adventure Bikes are hype - they're just a road bike kitted out with the bits that you want (rather than buying a different bike and changing the parts) - what's wrong with that?

Given that's not on your list (I'd thorough recommend looking if it's in your budget), I'd go with the GT Grade as it's almost as good from a spec point of view.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    I'm all for chucking some money at it to get riding again.
    I did a few months ago and it's worked for me, I was so off riding for getting towards a year and then saw a deal on a Cannondale and its helped no end ( as did the wheels, jacket and 3/4s !)
    Entered the Cat this year and going to have a much better time in Majorca this year than last I'm sure.
    Just need some dry weather to get out more.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If you love riding your current bike - why aren't you riding it enough ?

A week of winter sun and cycling - that's what you need ;-)
  • chris217
    mmmm All good points !

Anyone ridden a diverge ??
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    SYNAPSE CARBON DISC
    DEFY ADV PRO 1
    DIVERGE CARBON
    BMC GF01
    GT GRADE

appreciate i have given little info re what i intend to do with the bike but suffice to say i am;
    mid forties, work in middle mgt , mid life crisis looming , not really riding enough, and thinks by spending few quid on bike = HAPPY
    bit like most BR readers !!!!

cheers

There all 4 door saloons - if your having a mid-life crisis buy a ffffing race bike.
    Get a bike that makes you put you head down not up :twisted:
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • chris217
    Good idea , my worry is I might not get my head back up again !

• There all 4 door saloons - if your having a mid-life crisis buy a ffffing race bike.
    Get a bike that makes you put you head down not up :twisted:

There [sic] not. At worst the Grade is an All-Road if not 4x4 (God forbid the horrible car analogy). On my commute home the other night, the farmer had helpfully resurfaced the farm road I used - except he hadn't quite finished - mounds of Type1 aggregate, a dumper truck and a digger in the way. Scooted over the mounds on the Renegade then hopped down into the wet dirt and long grass past the machinery and back up onto the road. Would I have done that in my flash sports car (Foil)? Nope.

The point is that you can pedal just as hard but experience a lot more variety. And the epic rides in cycling aren't the smooth, clean ones but the Paris-Roubaix races of this world. Save your Sunday bikes for when you're old.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060

Rubbish as all you will wish is you had a nice shiny new bike to ride on said holiday.

Which one is the more desirable to you?

seriously I think they will all be great bikes but which one does it for you and will make you want to ride?
    Easily done. Go to Mallorca and hire a nice an Ultimate CF SLX or Aeroad SLX from Canyon for a week. I believe they have a rental centre there, correct?
    What's more special than riding a nice bike every day? - Riding a bike far nicer than you're used to while on holiday in the sun with great roads at your doorstep.
    I know I won't enjoy fancy rental bikes as much now that my own bike is of similar quality. Having said that, I don't regret it for a moment!