The shortest day

slowmart
slowmart Posts: 4,480
edited December 2015 in The cake stop
summer is coming

Slowly but the nights will start drawing out after Christmas
“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu

Comments

• Sorry to disappoint you but the shortest day is the 22nd this year. The winter solstice is tomorrow morning. I hadn't realised the shortest day can vary, it's possible to be on 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 23rd. It's only on the 19th and 23rd every hundred years or so. After that bit of excitement I'd better get back to sorting my paper clip collection.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Sorry to disappoint you but the shortest day is the 22nd this year. The winter solstice is tomorrow morning. I hadn't realised the shortest day can vary, it's possible to be on 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 23rd. It's only on the 19th and 23rd every hundred years or so. After that bit of excitement I'd better get back to sorting my paper clip collection.

And sunrise continues to get later for the next week at least. Only about half a minute per day, but still no lighter mornings before the new year.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    longest day over here...
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Roll on. Get Jan and Feb out the way.
    I'm wishing my life away aren't I?
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    :twisted: Sorry to be pedantic, all days are the same length, just the amount of daylight which varies.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    if it's the shortest day can I leave work early ? :D
  • I like winter because it means skiing, however this wet weather can sod right off.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    A crisp, sunny, frosty morning is the business. Wind, rain and darkness can all do one though. Hate winter. Roll on the sunny evening rides :D
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Feels lighter all ready ! :)
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Total joy arriving at work in total darkness (at about 0830) after just over an hour's ride. Still, only a couple of vicious, squally heavy showers - one for the first half hour and one for the second.
    Last commute of the year, and a bit of geekery tells me that the day will be 15 minutes longer when I next do. Whoopee.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,866
    Slowly but the nights will start drawing out after Christmas
    They actually start drawing out about ten days before Christmas :)

http://earthsky.org/earth/winter-solstice-and-late-sunrise