MTB & Wahoo KICKR / Tacx NEO - Advice Needed

Welsh_Wizard
Welsh_Wizard Posts: 84
edited December 2015 in Health, fitness & training
Hi,

I am getting into a bit of a tizz trying to work out which one to get. I have recently had a shoulder operation which means i am out of any serious MTB for awhile. I obviously want to keep up my fitness so i have decided to invest in one of these machines.

I am getting confused though as to what i need to buy to actually make the bike fit on the machine.

My bike is a 2x10 (shimano) with a 142mm rear through axle..

If I was to get the KICKR, which comes with an 11-speed cassette attached, am I right in saying that I am going to need to buy a 10-speed cassette and a spacer (to replace on the KICKR??). I am also going to need the 142mm adapter kit. This will, at the very least, get me riding again??

With the NEO, as it doesn't come with a cassette, i just need to buy a 10-speed cassette and away i go...No spacer needed ????

Help!! - so flippin' confusing !!

regards and thanks in advance,

Simon

Comments

• Further checking shows that i can completely discount the Tacx Neo as my rear axle is a 12x142mm, which is just simply not catered for..

So it's just up to the Wahoo now..

Hopefully someone can help with the questions on cassette/spacers etc..

Thanks in advance..

Simon
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Basically yes, it's as you say. 142mm adopters needed, and probably a 10 speed cassette. Given 11 speed road cassettes are wider than MTB 10 it may be close enough to work. I'd at least try it.

Id also question whether going straight to a Kickr is necessary given their epic expense.
  • Expense is not so much the issue, it's whether it'll fit (my bike) and it ticks the boxes I need it to tick, and it does.
  • njee20
    Well yes, as said, it'll fit. Worst case you'll need a 10 speed block. I suspect it may work alright. No reason you can't fit your own cassette if the 11 speed doesn't work, if you're not using your bike in a hurry. Will be better for chain wear too.

I just don't quite understand spending £1000 on a turbo trainer and not owning a road bike.
  • Sorry mate, confused. Have you got one? I can't tell whether your talking from a knowledge point of view or just guessing. I'm looking for specific advice on what I need to purchase. I know I absolutely have to buy a 10-speed cassette as the KICKR comes as 11-speed standard and my bike is 2x10. It's daft to suggest using a 11-speed road cassette supplied on the KICKR with a 2x10 MTB set up. I can buy a 10 speed MTB cassette for £20 and swap that off the KICKR. The 142mm adapter kit was causing me issue too as I didn't know where the spacer came from - the adapter kit or from the box itself.

And why do I need to buy a road bike? Confused at that one. I ride a MTB and have done all my riding life. I'm buying this to assist in training/off season work/power meter analysis training which is extremely useful but not a regular feature in MTB-world.
  • njee20
    I don't have one, and nor am I guessing. It's not difficult. You need this to get your bike to fit.

Just fit your existing cassette rather than buying a new one. Only a pain if you're still using your bike, which you aren't.

You could buy a power meter and a decent turbo, which is more versatile. But as long as you know what you're doing. You answer your own question though - power training isn't common on the MTB, if you want to go down that avenue I'd do it on a road bike with a power meter you can use outside or on the turbo. You talk about wanting a turbo for a bit of rehab, now you're wanting something with power for all the training and analysis. If you've never trained like this before then why now? Just seems a bit confused to me.

Edit: and it's not daft to suggest trying an 11 speed block. They're wider than 10 speed MTB ones, likely to be pretty damn close, particularly when you're not really using your gears...!
  • I have no interest in buying a road bike though. That's the crux of the matter. I ride enduro and XC and it's the first time I've had a long lay off. I don't want to lose fitness and I can't actually ride a road bike anyhow as I've had my shoulder re-built so can't lean over the hoods.

Why would I buy a bottom to middle of the range road bike AND a bottom to middle of the range turbo when I can buy the top of the range turbo and utilise my existing bike. I'll buy a cassette as a 10 speed XT is £20 so it'll saves me taking the wheel apart.

I guess it's more the proliferation of roadies using turbos more than MTB'ers which means the data on the internet is heavily favoured to the roadie. Lots of MTB'ers do but it's just hard to find MTB specifics - perhaps I should have been clearer on this point. Once I've managed to get over the injury, I am hoping the turbo work will add to the base level plus I am massively into numbers so don't see the point in buying the middle range turbo that doesn't tell me exactly what's going on.

Either way I was initially confused about buying the adapter kit and using a 'spacer' to fit the cassette - wasn't sure where the spacer came from. I know now and all things being proper the KICKR will be delivered Wednesday :D
  • njee20
    Spacer is additional, and will be required, because 10 speed cassettes are narrower than 11 speed. That's nothing to do with the mountain bike or the 142mm thru axle.

Depending on how old your chain is I'd replace that too. You'll trash the turbo cassette otherwise.
  • The spacer comes in the box, the KICKR BOX - that was my question. Did anyone know where the spacer came from as it wasn't in the adapter kit and it didn't specifically say on the Wahoo website. I'm getting a cassette chain combo from CRC so that's catered for.
  • njee20
    A 1.8mm cassette spacer is needed. This should be included with the trainer. They're pennies if not. The adapter is nothing to do with this whatsoever.