SPOILER ALERT. Star Wars

Flâneur
Flâneur Posts: 3,081
edited January 2016 in The cake stop
Well what are your thoughts should you have seen it?
Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
Crudder
CX
Toy

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Please tell me it was good, please please and tell me through the eyes of a Star Wars fan.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Flâneur
    Yeah it was mate. I'm not going to say anything n spoil it but I felt it best to put spoiler alert for when it happened
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • I'm afraid the disasterous Episodes 1, 2 and 3 totally ruined it for me.....
  • mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    Have no fears, it's all good. Star Wars as we knew it. It's a bit episode iv redux, but I think that's entirely deliberate. Nicely set up for next film. Kylo Ren an interesting villain too.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    Just got back. If you like the 'original' you'll love this!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    I wanted to go on Christmas Eve, it certainly would have been a great way to spend the night, especially as I declared my religion as Jedi on the last census. What better way to spend the eve of a largely Christian country's most religious day, by watching the origins of my new found spiritual saviours. It was that or watching some washed up celebrities in sequined outfits whizz around the dance floor to the excitement of the elderly and infirm.
    However my wife in a rare moment of excitement has booked the family a visit the wonder that is Screen 1 at the Bournemouth Odeon for a showing just before midnight! Tonight. Now I genuinely do think that Screen 1 is great, it is a pretty damned big screen. But midnight! The last time I ever ventured out to Bournemouth at this ungodly hour was back in my early 20s to 'strut my stuff' to that seminal classic of the 80s 'The Look of Love'.
    I have endured weeks of my daughter bemoaning about the heroic new characters being 'A' typical Disney cloned young adults with picture perfect features. 'And they've done this and that'. All but writing off the film before seeing it.

All that aside I am really looking forward to the movie and keeping my fingers crossed that no Gungans even make an appearance, even as an extra on the horizon of a panoramic shot.

May the Force be with You.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Flâneur
    I'm not sure you can call these characters picture perfect. Daisy is hardly the Jen lawrence and John Boyega is hardly a pretty boy.

Jaja Binks is the twist, he features in every scene, and the question raised by the Supreme Commander is how does it he do it
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    loved it, laughed, cried, cheered, it IS Star Wars is I think the best compliment you can give it in that JJ Abrams has totally captured the essence of the originals, in a way the prequels never did or possibly could.

and Im so glad I managed to avoid any of the key spoilers,as genuinely not knowing what was going to happen next, or just waiting for such and such to happen really does make it a better film watching experience.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    I just saw it and I thought it was a great return to form.

The story didn't pretend to be a deep politico mystery like the last three it was just cowboys in space again.

Thinking about it a bit more critically, the plot was pretty much the same as the first film but different characters were in the same situations as the original characters, who were still there and some of them were doing exactly what they did in the first. It had all the elements of the first film such as bars full of weird looking aliens and an alien band. Han was the same dodgy rogue in trouble again with the same dialogue. This made me say out loud a few times 'same old thing'. Sadly a favourite character bites the dust as did Obi-Wan in the first film.

Carry Fisher was unrecognisable. If she has had plastic surgery then she wasted her money. Mark Hamill looks like a genuine old Jedi master now. The girl who plays Rey, a kind of female Luke, is a bit of a carbon copy of Keira Knightley. IMO that's a missed opportunity because we have a Keira Knightley already so we don't need another. They should have cast someone who could bring something new.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    I just saw it and I thought it was a great return to form.

The story didn't pretend to be a deep politico mystery like the last three it was just cowboys in space again.

Thinking about it a bit more critically, the plot was pretty much the same as the first film but different characters were in the same situations as the original characters, who were still there and some of them were doing exactly what they did in the first. It had all the elements of the first film such as bars full of weird looking aliens and an alien band. Han was the same dodgy rogue in trouble again with the same dialogue. This made me say out loud a few times 'same old thing'. Sadly a favourite character bites the dust as did Obi-Wan in the first film.

Carry Fisher was unrecognisable. If she has had plastic surgery then she wasted her money. Mark Hamill looks like a genuine old Jedi master now. The girl who plays Rey, a kind of female Luke, is a bit of a carbon copy of Keira Knightley. IMO that's a missed opportunity because we have a Keira Knightley already so we don't need another. They should have cast someone who could bring something new.

Same thoughts as you really. It was a great action adventure set in a 'Far Far Away Galaxy' and I loved it. Full of momentum that doesn't really let up for quite a long film. Great SFX, JJ Abrams has done a great job and brought the franchise up to date. Looking forward already to next one.

Yet the day after I felt that maybe I had seen it all before. I think that a lot of the mysticism has been taken out of this reboot, as it is explained who everyone. Is that a Disney influence? And for the new Sith Lord to take of his helmet! It's a no, no. Carrie Fisher sounded half cut to me. Han Solo and Chewie definitely the stars. Mark Hamill as you say does look like a true old Jedi master. Also if you remember in the original trilogy the senior officers in the empire were of an age that all senior officers should be ie Peter Cushing. In this they all appeared to be young whipper snappers. Captain Phasma is also another, weird one, thought this character would play a bigger role considering the marketing hype.
    Great to see more of the Tie Fighters, I really liked that.
    Daniel Craig is also in the film as a Stormtrooper. I guess just like all of us he just loves Star Wars.
    Biggest downside for me was 3D. Clever stuff but at times your focus is drawn to whatever it its poking out of the screen and you miss the rest of the shot. I think I shall go and see it again in the new year at my local picture house and this time in normal 2D.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It was not as good as I was hoping but guess its just there to set the scene for the next ones.
    Far too much of a love in, and far too similar to episode IV (but guess I kind of secretly like that :oops:)
    Welled up a couple of times :lol:

Some drunk d1ck gave the spoiler away last night, but to be honest I was looking forward to it by the time it happened!
    What an ugly son they had!!!

Really not keen on the dated and worn out looking 'resistance', thought they were rebels?

Loved the ball droid and his scenes with R2D2.
    Did not like C3PO
    Liked Rey (is she Han Solos daughter? Would explain why there were no pretty genes left for her brother!)
    Loved it being filmed in Puzzlewood
    Not keen on new Tie Fighters
    Loved the 'Alien' like destroyer wreckage.

It was a bit cheesy and 'that was then this is now', but am looking forward to episode VIII
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Biggest downside for me was 3D. Clever stuff but at times your focus is drawn to whatever it its poking out of the screen and you miss the rest of the shot. I think I shall go and see it again in the new year at my local picture house and this time in normal 2D.

it was filmed and framed for 2d, and just a bit of IMAX, so the 3d is a digitised conversion, which is why it doesnt really work that well in 3d, theres one bit on the falcon where you are sitting thinking get those damn cables out the why they are blocking what I want to look at, but I didnt know that either when I ordered my ticket else I think Id have picked the 2d, 2d IMAX is supposed to be the best if you can get to it.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I liked it - a good balance of fan service to actually having a decent film.
  • I just saw it and I thought it was a great return to form.

She stole the show for me, I don't care if she does look a bit like Keira Knightley, and I'm not sure what you mean by a missed opportunity? Daisy Ridley as Rey kicks ass!
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Keira Knightley was in the Phantom Menace - all associations with the Phantom Menace should be avoided.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    At around 30, I'm in the "between generation" that was too young for the first ones and too old for the second ones so, although I like them, I'm just not a super fan like some people. That said I really liked it. It's like a warm, nostalgic hug of a film. If you know what a light sabre is or you ve seen the Family Guy Parodies you know enough to get the most important references.

The acting was terrible but I never quite got the hate for the first 3/second 3 but that's certainly been sorted out in this one. Adam Driver is Adam Driver - the guy from girls but with a light sabre now - and is probably the most shaky character as he still has a touch of whiny Generation Y'er about him. Daisey Ridley was awesome I thought - there is a real talent there and I suspect we ll see her in a bunch of Eddy Redmane/Benedict Cumberbatch type films afterwards.

I liked all the old guys and their parts. C-3PO's entrance was great I think. I'm slightly concerned about how it plays out now. Yes Mark Hamill looks proper epic but "awww look it's old stuff" will not string out a further 2 films...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff

I liked all the old guys and their parts. C-3PO's entrance was great I think. I'm slightly concerned about how it plays out now. Yes Mark Hamill looks proper epic but "awww look it's old stuff" will not string out a further 2 films...

I thought it had enough to stand up on its own without relying on the nostalgia card (although obviously fan service was a big part of it)... I went to see it with someone who had never seen Star Wars (other than watching one of the "Star Wars in 5 minutes" things on youtube the day before) and she said she actually enjoyed it. And she usually hates scifi.
  • ddraver
    As a film, yes...but 2 more?

Lets hope so though!
    - @ddraver
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    saw it a few days ago and really enjoyed it. It was only a few days later that I kind of thought, they've done this story already.

Apart from the " I have a bad feeling about this" line there weren't too many instances of replaying old scenes and lines like they did with Star Trek.

Only thing I didn't like was they have ditched the expanded universe and come up with their own storylines that universe for this. Do I have to bin all my Star Wars books now ?

Not sure what was going on with Carrie Fisher, very strange voice and she looked like she had far too much botox as no real movement of her face.

Plan to see it at the Imax over Christmas too
  • ddraver
    (In fairness to Carrie Fisher that fact that she is still alive and hasnt died in some extreme bipolar attack is an achievement in itself)
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    (In fairness to Carrie Fisher that fact that she is still alive and hasnt died in some extreme drug overdose is an achievement in itself)

FTFY
  • seanoconn
    True but

2AC7C698-A778-4ADB-B219-753BC5C03D69_zpsfqlrzzay.png

She deserves a place in our hearts.
  • ddraver
    (In fairness to Carrie Fisher that fact that she is still alive and hasnt died in some extreme drug overdose is an achievement in itself)

FTFY

Well yes, I think one follows the other basically...

Well put Sean!
    - @ddraver
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934

She stole the show for me, I don't care if she does look a bit like Keira Knightley, and I'm not sure what you mean by a missed opportunity? Daisy Ridley as Rey kicks ass!

I thought her expressions, accent and general demeanour were too similar to Keira. There must be actresses with different styles, why can't we see some. As someone else suggested she is probably Hans daughter so maybe she has to be a bit regal.
  • seanoconn
    I've found The Force Awakens on a dodgy film site but the force is strong within me so I'm resisting the urge and will watch it in the cinema after Christmas :)
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Took the kids to see it yesterday (like I needed an excuse) - thought it was pretty good. Certainly did all it needed to to undo all of the bad work from those other three films, what with real props, sets etc it definitely had the look & feel of the Star Wars that was THE cultural reference for our generation. With that said, I did end up thinking that I'd seen the whole thing before - X-wings tearing down a trench to blow up something, large planet like weapon, "take the shield generator down" etc But hey, most of the more subtle nods to the original hit the mark & it put a massive smile on my face, so happy days.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • seanoconn
    Saw it last week and really enjoyed it but I went into the cinema with the frame of mind that I was going to enjoy it no matter what. Fans will love it but a pretty decent film for the neutral but could have been better, SPOILER ALERT! the bad guy needs to be less wimpy and should not have removed his mask and the CGI for a couple of characters was unnecessary and felt out of place. But all in all, great stuff. 8.2/10 on the Seano film scale.

I am now officially changing my name to Han Solo, he rocks :D
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569

I thought her expressions, accent and general demeanour were too similar to Keira. There must be actresses with different styles, why can't we see some. As someone else suggested she is probably Hans daughter so maybe she has to be a bit regal.

Having now seen it I think the actress came across as fresh out of stage school - the one the that produces Eastenders actors, X factor contestants and CBBC presenters, but she did better than Natalie Portman in the prequels, mostly thanks to better direction and script.

It's always a big risk to give young unknowns the job of carrying a major franchise, which is probably why they invited the old cast back.
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    Been so see it twice now. Once in regular and once in IMAX3D.

Such a fun movie. Better in 3D! And I'm not too keen on 3D.

People are picking holes in the narrative and plot but I think everything will fall perfectly in to place during the 2nd and 3rd film. There are some interesting speculations floating around.

If you plan to watch it in IMAX3D, try and get to either Empire Leicester Square or Cineworld Sheffield, where it's being projected at full 70mm IMAX 8)
    tick - tick - tick