Help me choose the right gear.

northcliff66
northcliff66 Posts: 187
edited December 2015 in Vintage bikes forum
I am new to this sort of bike, so forgive me if these are stupid questions.

I have recently acquired this 1986 Raleigh.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pki4ye2sygxq6ur/File%2008-11-2015%2C%2017%2038%2017.jpeg?dl=0

From my research it seems it was built in the early part of the year, but only sold as a frameset and only in the USA.

In the past someone has clearly built it up. Seems to have a lot of things that are correct for the era, so may be original, but I really do not like the old 105 derailleurs and the universal brakes.

So, as the hubs, fork, dropouts, and seatpost are Campagnolo I was thinking of changing to that for the bits I need.

What models would be correct from the era, and where do I get them from please?

Comments

• andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Knock yourself out:
    http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/Manufacturer+Archive/Campagnolo+Archive/Campagnolo+Catalogues/

Ebay or Retrobike ads are probably the best bet for sourcing
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • Thanks for the link.

I have decided to sell all the bits and pieces that are non Campag so will be listing them on ebay.

Not too sure about the frame. Actually it is in VGC. Could get it resprayed so would be like new with new decals, but unsure about its value. Its perfectly useable as is. Took it out for a spin yesterday and it is fast, light and absolutely silent. A quick spin of the wheels and they are still turning after I made a cup of tea. Must have been tuned by Sean Yates'z Dad!

TBH I wouldnt care about the cost if it was an ideal fit, but the geometry is not perfect for my aged inflexible spine. Might be easier to just get an old style frame built for "my geometry".

Rebuild project anyone?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Those red Raleighs were sold in the UK - there was a seller in Cycling Weekly at the time but they weren't too expensive. Cost of resprays vary a lot - 1-colour powdercoat from £50 to £300+ for a top-class job - best to sell as-is as you'll likely not get your money back. Retrobike best for finding parts.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Those red Raleighs were sold in the UK - there was a seller in Cycling Weekly at the time but they weren't too expensive. Cost of resprays vary a lot - 1-colour powdercoat from £50 to £300+ for a top-class job - best to sell as-is as you'll likely not get your money back. Retrobike best for finding parts.
    Thanks. I like the project so I am having a top notch respray and rebuild with all 1986 NOS Campag stuff.
    Will def lose money on it, but it will look fab.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I like your floor - is it a bugger to clean with the dirt getting under the ridges or does it actually work out not too bad?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I like your floor - is it a bugger to clean with the dirt getting under the ridges or does it actually work out not too bad?
    Very easy. Lithofin stone sealer.
  • Matthewfalle
    I like your floor - is it a bugger to clean with the dirt getting under the ridges or does it actually work out not too bad?
    Very easy. Lithofin stone sealer.

Ah - nice. We use the same. We also use an Eco cloth (white) and an Eco cloth (blue) each night on it plus a steamers once every 3 or 4 days to keep it all nice. Stops the bambini infecting The Hound with their germs.

Good work that man!

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Ouch. We sealed the stone 12 years ago, wash it every 3 years and sweep it every 3 months.

Must discuss this with the staff.
  • Matthewfalle
    Ouch. We sealed the stone 12 years ago, wash it every 3 years and sweep it every 3 months.

Must discuss this with the staff.
    Is it limestone? Ours is - big slabs that have been polished.

When we first got it TDV decided she wanted to get some skank off the grout so got the Jif out and destroyed the finish on a couple of them.

Unpteen products used trying to get the finish back later, used some olive oil - perfect job. Thank the permeability of the limestone helped.

I'm liking yours though - the lumpy effect not only looks cool but provides the perfect backdrop to vintage bicycle pictures.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.