Sick of being sick

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited December 2015 in Commuting chat
So. First I had the 'flu, the real deal, diagnosed-by-docs, actual Influenza. Miserable.

Then after two weeks recovery following two weeks off, ventured out on bike, nothing serious, well wrapped up.

Now have chest infection, which is SO much fun given that I'm asthmatic.

I am a pile of miserable microbes :evil:

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    I hear you sister/brother

I had a couple of pulmonary embolisms and although I feel fine the docs aren't keen on me exercising until the New Year

It's been the longest I've been off a bike since 1975 - it's doing my head in
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I feel for you, started a cold last week, tried cycling through it and now I have a full blown 'man flu' cold.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    I feel your pain,

Caught a cold off my 2 year old daughter Thursday the week before last, and it just won't go away.

I too, tried to ride through it, as I normally do (Gentle riding too) but that made it far worse, and it turned into something far more horrible - although perhaps it was going to do that anyway, who knows.

10 days in now, and I think I have a sinus infection, but at it's worst I was totally devoid of energy, and had a pounding headache.

Spot of vomiting in there as well, bloody horrible.

Currently living on 4 beachams during the day, and 2 night nurse to get me a few semi decent hours overnight - cautiously I think it might be on the way out. The cough is very annoying though, I expect for both me and those around me :-(

The bigget bugger for me is that my 5000 mile target for the year is now lying in tatters, can't see me being able to nail 350 miles before the end of the year, as I'm still not healthy, and by the time I am my fitness will have plummeted even further.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Chin up SS.I had this last year. It took a trip to A&E to confirm my poorlyness.
    What don't kill you, makes you stronger. Just take it easy, and recovery will come. Get well soon.
    And you have the moral advantage when the work hypochondriac sneezes and claims they have the 'flu, you can laugh at them for being a pansy.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Chin up SS.I had this last year. It took a trip to A&E to confirm my poorlyness.
    What don't kill you, makes you stronger. Just take it easy, and recovery will come. Get well soon.
    And you have the moral advantage when the work hypochondriac sneezes and claims they have the 'flu, you can laugh at them for being a pansy.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I feel your pain I had three Xmas in a row with sinus colds which meant I couldn't taste a thing, totally ruined Xmas for me :(
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    What has happened to this forum? There is only one correct response to the OP (and all the big girls blouses who posted after); why has nobody made it? MTFU. 8)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • secretsam
    What has happened to this forum? There is only one correct response to the OP (and all the big girls blouses who posted after); why has nobody made it? MTFU. 8)

Am sending some of my germs over to you. Enjoy.

• I don't have the flu - pretty sure it's just a cold - but it's been hanging around since last Friday and I still don't feel any better :(. Normally this stuff shifts in 2-3 days.
  • secretsam
    FWIW, 'flu vs cold symptoms:

Cold
    - Runny nose
    - Sneezy and snotty
    - coughs, etc
    - lasts a week or so, leaving residual yukkiness

'Flu
    - Total exhaustion
    - Shortness of breath
    - Sleepy
    - Feel like you just want to turn up your toes and move on to the hereafter
    - acute phase 2 weeks, symptoms stick around a month after

• The fact that I can still go to work means definitely a cold ;)
  • Never had flu but got a cold once that had me shivering and sweating into the sleeping bag in the bunk house I was in. A major ear infection in both ears only subsided after one ruptured leaking snot. Then a few complete blacking outs to hit the deck made me realise I was not in a good way. I put the aches down to all the walking I was doing despite being unable to eat. Still, after the NHS direct told me it wasn't worth a gp visit I soldered on another night before wimping out and visiting a gp. He saw me in his lunch break and dosed me on general anti biotics. 2 days later I completed the a very long distance challenge event. I'd spent too much time, effort and money to back.out of it. I guess it counts as MTFU but it was really down to money and effort I put in over a few years to become fit enough to do this event. I couldn't back out and at least if I failed after giving my best...

If you can ride then take it easy but use exercise to recover. If you can't ride then. Hot drinks, food and rest before getting out on the bike when you can. BTW don't ride if you're blacking out or have low blood pressure. Safety first. I do believe in keeping going.

To the OP obviously you couldn't keep going. I think with proper flu you're MTFU just to get a through it. A gp told me that if you can get out of your bed to get a £50 note before it blows out the window it's not flu. If you can only watch it blowing away then it's flu. That's why my worst case of viral infection was just a cold IMHO. I was able to get up just had to watch the blackouts and wipe my ear every couple of minutes. Not flu just a very nasty cold. I feel it gave me av taste of how bad real flu could be. Get better and get out again.
  • edrobbin
    edrobbin Posts: 173
    I have a hangover. I am significantly more ill than everyone else.

Plus, the curry is threatening to re-appear....
    Waterloo - White City

Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 2016
    Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 3 26" (Lefty) :D
  • Can't be a real curry if it's not already passed through. Must be a Korma or coronation chicken or something you lightweight!
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I'm relatively sure i'm immortal! I only had half a day off throughout all of my school days and have never had a day off work due to illness! Just thought you'd all feel better for knowing that :-)
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • I'm relatively sure i'm immortal! I only had half a day off throughout all of my school days and have never had a day off work due to illness! Just thought you'd all feel better for knowing that :-)

There was a bloke at work who considered days off "sick" as part of his holiday entitlement.
    His motto was "Never take just one day off as they will think you weren't ill enough to have a day off".

Great attitude eh?
  • itboffin
    I have a hangover. I am significantly more ill than everyone else.

Plus, the curry is threatening to re-appear....

^ yup this wins ^

a real hangover kicks any manflu into next week, i'm seriously worried about this weekend as both Sat & Sun are full on family xmas dinners, both all day events :shock:

i'm thinking of extracting some blood now to reinfuse in the mornings :?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Don't rush back to exercise after the flu (the real one not the man-flu variety) - your body can react in strange and pretty dreadful ways to hard exercise whilst still in the recovery phase of influenza
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    After 6 straight meals of buttered toast, I had my first real meal yesterday, all be it a simple one of chicken breast cooked in the oven with rice, peas and broccoli, and it tasted fab, and best of all stayed down!

Yesterday was the first day I actually started feeling myself, might get out on the bike at the weekend at this rate, my 5000 mile target isn't dead and buried quite yet, though still looking a very tall order.

Hope all those ill are improving nicely :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • secretsam
    To the OP obviously you couldn't keep going. I think with proper flu you're MTFU just to get a through it. A gp told me that if you can get out of your bed to get a £50 note before it blows out the window it's not flu. If you can only watch it blowing away then it's flu.

Alternatively, if a total hottie comes into your room wearing only a smile and says "Hey there, big boy, what do you fancy?" and you ask for 2 paracetamol and some orange juice, that's 'flu :lol:

• itboffin
    As if by fucking magic

Damn it :x
  • secretsam
    As if by ******* magic

Damn it :x

Much sympathy, mate

But they aren't my germs, long distance from here to Marlborough and against the prevailing winds :lol: