British Astronaut

bianchimoon
bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
edited December 2015 in The cake stop
Just watching pics from pre launch inside capsule. WTF can't the get a decent image and one that doesn't drop the signal when on earth, it's a digital age, looks like its been played from a cr@p 8mm cine film :(
All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Being one that is obsessed with all things space, this is one of the few times I am am wildly, wildly jealous of someone.

Hi, what do you do?
    I'm an astronaut.

Soooooooooooooooooo cool.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bianchimoon
    Being one that is obsessed with all things space, this is one of the few times I am am wildly, wildly jealous of someone.

Hi, what do you do?
    I'm an astronaut.

Soooooooooooooooooo cool.

Aye he's a very lucky, but also humble man, seems a really nice guy, best of luck to him
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bianchimoon
    trying to watch the BBC feed from science museum, who the hell thought of putting all those school kids in the audience, as soon as they start talking its all screaming waving flags like a pop concert :( over to sky news for me!
  • bianchimoon
    very exciting watching the pics from inside capsule, just can't imagine the thoughts they must be going through with just 5 mins to go :D
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    are they there yet?
  • RideOnTime
    no then
  • bianchimoon
  • bianchimoon
    amazing thumbs up, clenched fist big smile, his excitement is infectious :D
  • RideOnTime
    may be just needs the toilet...
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    B L O O D Y M A R V E L L O U S !
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • RideOnTime
    he'll be there by 5
  • bianchimoon
    he'll be there by 5
    Aye, it's ok i've put kettle on ;)
  • Matthewfalle
    At least they haven't got a burd astronaut on this time so there won't be any parking issues...

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Thought the Americans have Astronauts and the Russians have Cosmonauts.So technically speaking surely he must be a Cosmonaut!
  • Matthewfalle
    But he's not Russian. In fact I'm assuming he's taking his time.........

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    trying to watch the BBC feed from science museum, who the hell thought of putting all those school kids in the audience, as soon as they start talking its all screaming waving flags like a pop concert :( over to sky news for me!

this is why you watch the NASA tv or ESA direct feeds instead, no inane presenter babbling,full mission comms & people who know what they are talking about.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Thought the Americans have Astronauts and the Russians have Cosmonauts.So technically speaking surely he must be a Cosmonaut!

technically anyone who has flown above the Karman line, 62 miles/100km, is classed as an astronaut
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    At least they haven't got a burd astronaut on this time so there won't be any parking issues...

Wouldn't be too sure about that. The ISS orbits at an altitude of 400km, and they took 6 hours to get there in a spaceship capable of travelling at several thousand km/h. Sounds a bit like my wife was at the controls.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    This is when we need a Manc33, GRHS, to explain it all to us sheeple.
  • Matthewfalle

this is why you watch the NASA tv or ESA direct feeds instead, no inane presenter babbling,full mission comms & people who know what they are talking about.

NASA TV rocked today - had it on all morning. Even para commando bloke I share an office with stopped whatever crazy stuff he was planning to eat from my big box of pain au raisin and gawp.

It rocked and I am soooooo jealous of him.

I reckon he's lying in his bed up there at the moment looking down on us just giggling to himself.

Sooooooooooo jealous.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    wellshgetext97fmitm10.jpg
  • Matthewfalle
    I'm intrigued that there is so much interest in this. Has there not been a British Astronaut before?

To me it's not just the fact that it's a Britiash astronaut but I'm mad, sad, bad ultra mad on all things space. It's just sooooo cool.

Just get really child like excited about anything like this.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    I'm intrigued that there is so much interest in this. Has there not been a British Astronaut before?

Yes she was called Helen and visited the Mir station in 1991, but that wasn't backed by the government just British companies, Tim is the first to be back by the government £16,000,000 and yes would be so cool to go to space

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Sharman
  • Cygnus
    Cygnus Posts: 1,879
    He's the first British astronaut to go the the International Space Station and will be the first British astronaut to stay on the space station for 6 months.
  • Matthewfalle
    The lucky, lucky, lucky b'stard has got 6 months peace and quiet - no two weeks leave in the middle to have to go home and do three months of chores - six hassle, chore, nagging child free months.

Lucky, lucky fit.

And when he gets home he can do anything he wants because all is he has to say is:"No. I'm not doing it. I'm an astronaut".

Or: "Yes, you will do that because I'm an astronaut and you're not".

On a serious note, if this gets one child away from XBox Killer shoot 'me and into science/space/aeronautics/whatever it's worth every bloody penny and calorie we have all wasted typing away last couple of days.

It's the most uplifting (no pun intended) thing Britain has done in decades.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    I was relived he got there okay.

There was a lot riding on his success, not just the cost but the interest of a lot of youngsters. It would have been devastating for a lot of people had something gone wrong.

After the Challenger explosion in 1986, which carried "the first teacher in space", Christa McAuliffe, there were reports of kids in the USA needing councilling. I remember thinking at the time "typical Americans", but yesterday I could see the reasoning.

Good luck to the man, and I agree he's a very lucky chap.

(where it doesn't really matter, I put down my profession as Astronaut, like in my profile on here. I've always considered this my true calling, I just was never asked :mrgreen: )

The older I get, the better I was.

• mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    According to Helen Sharman (first Brit in space), Tim Peake's mission is the only government funded flight on the books. Once he returns in 6 months, that is it. 6 years of training and at present no possibility of any further missions unless he changes nationality. This is exceptionally short sighted and sad, considering that the UK is a leader in developing and manufacturing space technology.

It was great to see the public caught up in the excitement of this mission. For me it was reminiscent of watching the Apollo missions and early Shuttle launches. I hope that in my time I will be able to see a return to the moon and the first mission to Mars.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Keith47
    Keith47 Posts: 158
    I've just finished reading An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth by Chris Hadfield. Absolutely fascinating, it makes you realise just how much work it takes to get selected to go into space, decades of preparation, with no guarantee that you will ever make it into space at all. I would recommend it to anyone who is even vaguely interested in ISS. :)
    The problem is we are not eating food anymore, we are eating food-like products.
  • Well reading through this thread has put me back in my box, I turned FiveLive over yesterday morning to a music station as I was getting ready for work because they wouldn't stop banging on about it and I was genuinely perplexed and irritated by the coverage. Turns out I was in a minority it seems!