Tour of Europe 2015

raboldi135
raboldi135 Posts: 20
edited January 2016 in Tour & expedition
I finished my tour around a month ago and only recently sorted out a few photos to share.

143 days, over 6500 miles.

Here's a map of the basic route i did. This is not the actual route, i just marked each place and let google directions sort the route. I'll have to make the actual route one day.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zmXArYGvW898.kWIUsSU84sUg&usp=sharing

Here are some photos too.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137948730@N02/sets/72157659317296604/

Hope you enjoy!

Comments

• cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    this is incredible

thanks for posting

chapeau
  • Thats epic, well done!

Now get a hair cut...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • F@cking brilliant, mate. What an adventure - some lovely photos in there too. Well jealous here. Where next?
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Thanks for sharing these. The pics are amazing and it looks like a great route. I've done quite a few sections and others are on my to do list. How did you find Southern Austria for camping, we are planning to ride from Venice to Vienna next summer and looking for some places to see stop at in Austria (lakes for swimming etc).
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Inspirational. Good for you! Especially on that road bike. I take less than that on my Dawes Galaxy! Thanks for sharing. Send them to Decathlon.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Inspirational Sir!

Just looked through all off your pictures, what an adventure and experience :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    Much respect... Well done that man. Great photos. I couldn't get the map to load but would like to see the route. May be a temporary glitch.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    Update... map seems to work OK now.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • How did you find Southern Austria for camping, we are planning to ride from Venice to Vienna next summer and looking for some places to see stop at in Austria (lakes for swimming etc).

I was only in Austria for around 4 days i think, just riding Austria's highest pass. In general it was fairly easy to find a wild camping spot in any valley. A lot of farmland, i found most of it to be just grass with open gates. Probably for their cows to roam.

Shouldn't have trouble finding a place to sleep or to swim. One of my favourite places was on the Italian border, about 2000m up.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/137948730@N02/23102296556/in/album-72157659317296604/

Then rode downhill into Italy to this lake. Lago di anterselva.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/137948730@N02/22734381008/in/album-72157659317296604/
  • F@cking brilliant, mate. What an adventure - some lovely photos in there too. Well jealous here. Where next?

You tick one adventure off the list and add 10 more on to it. In a few years time i am thinking Alaska to Chile. So best start saving now.

I also want to ride around the Stan's, they are supposed to be wonderful touring places.
  • Nice! I cycled all the way round Spain last summer. What was your tent? I think I would have wanted a bigger one if I was going to be living in it for 4 months!
  • patpalloon wrote:
    What was your tent? I think I would have wanted a bigger one if I was going to be living in it for 4 months!

I used a Wild Country Zephyros 2. Not cramped in there. The porch was a little small to cook in but still manageable. I was in the middle of some pretty wild storms and it held up well. Kept me dry at all times. Main reason was weight, in at 1.8kg.

What parts of Spain did you ride and enjoy most?

I've cycled the north coast before, beautiful part. The south, there were just too many olive trees. Like 200 miles of them. I really liked some of the villages dotted around the mountains though.
  • raboldi135 wrote:
    patpalloon wrote:
    What was your tent? I think I would have wanted a bigger one if I was going to be living in it for 4 months!

I used a Wild Country Zephyros 2. Not cramped in there. The porch was a little small to cook in but still manageable. I was in the middle of some pretty wild storms and it held up well. Kept me dry at all times. Main reason was weight, in at 1.8kg.

What parts of Spain did you ride and enjoy most?

I've cycled the north coast before, beautiful part. The south, there were just too many olive trees. Like 200 miles of them. I really liked some of the villages dotted around the mountains though.

I loved Andalucia. Particularly when I got away from the busy coastal areas and headed inland through Tabernas and the Alpujarras. The route through the mountains from Gib to Seville was fun too. And I also liked the Basque region between Vittoria and San Sebastian.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Great stuff and some amazing photos! Superb adventure!