Traffic-free touring in France or Spain

bisikletci
bisikletci Posts: 13
edited December 2015 in Tour & expedition
I'm keen to do a few days/maybe up to a week of touring in France or Spain next summer. I'd like a scenic route that also incorporates as much traffic-free riding as possible (and no or next to no fast busy roads). I'm looking to get away from roads entirely, not ride alongside them - but at the same time not I'm not keen on full off-road heavy-duty mountain biking trails; what I need is something along the lines of the Routes Vertes/converted old train tracks/canal paths etc), but over a fairly long distance. Does anyone know of any good routes or resources dedicated to this? This would be my first tour so I'd also be looking for a route that isn't very arduous.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    You could try the Alsace region. Last year I rode from Strasboug to Geneva, the Alsace bit had plenty of routes besides river and canals. There was also a route through the vineyards, whilst this was not totally traffic free the only vehicles I saw were the odd tractor or farmer going to tend their vines.

You could do a circular route from Strasboug to Colmar and back. Easyjet fly to Strasboug.

http://www.cyclinginalsace.com/en/cycle-trails/waterways-and-vineyard-cycle-routes.html
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    I meant to Bescanson and back, Colmar is only 40 km from Strasboug.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Have a look at http://www.francevelotourisme.com/base-1/destinations/bourgogne

Gives lots of route suggestions using voies vertes. For example, there's a good circular 143km route between Chalon and Macon in south Burgundy, much of it on converted former railway line and riverside trail. I rode some of it this summer. It's an attractive area with plenty of interesting towns and places to visit.

The site's home page has plenty of other suggestions all over France. As mentioned above, Alsace has plenty of traffic-free routes through beautiful vineyards and flower-filled villages.
  • Thanks whoof and MM for the suggestions, they both look great. I'll have a look into both Alsace and Burgundy.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    I did Basel to Beziers this year. Mostly following the Rhine/Rhone cycle paths. hardly any on road stuff. It can get a bit boring as it's very easy, IMO but you can nip on and off the route to explore and hit some hills.