Like-for-Like or Options for Shimano CS-HG31-8?

seajays
seajays Posts: 331
edited December 2015 in Commuting chat
OK looks like a couple of the rings on my cassette are worn! I'd had some small slips on one, replaced the chain with a new one at the weekend, and now one of the gears is unusable, and another is slipping.

I have Shimano CS-HG31-8 hub currently. Is it best just to replace like for like, or are there other options?
Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
My Strava

Comments

• Pretty much any 8-speed Shimano/SRAM compatible cassette will do. I tend to go for SRAM, or whatever is on offer.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Personally prefer Shimano cassettes to SRAM, but any 8 speed cassette will do, the 31 is bottom end so something better will be lighter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    Just a by the by, I had the same symptoms once, and it wasn't the cassette - the freewheel needed replacing. So if you replace the cassette and you still get slips you know what it might be.
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    Just a by the by, I had the same symptoms once, and it wasn't the cassette - the freewheel needed replacing. So if you replace the cassette and you still get slips you know what it might be.

Thanks - I'll double check, but fairly sure it is the chain slipping. Also when I look at the teeth on that ring you can see they are worn compared to the others. I think I have a tendency to grind rather than spin as well...
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava