Campag 10/11 speed compatability

rbarcan
rbarcan Posts: 206
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
I run Campag Record 10 speed from 2007. Works fine but having tried Dura Ace I realise how much more powerful dual pivot brakes are and also want to extend gear range.
Therefore looking to upgrade to either Record or Chorus 11 speed.
My issue is that the new 4 arm look is just plain ugly and I may as well bite the bullet and switch to Shimano if I opt for that.
So thinking of keeping my beautiful 10 sp cranks and upgrading everything else to 11sp. Will it work though with the 11 sp chain? Does anyone have any practical experience of doing this?
Thanks

Comments

• With this specific combination, no, I don't have practical experience

In the more general "10 speed cranks with 11 speed groups" sense, yes, I have. Chainring spacing is the same, and there's no difference in the internal "gap" size of the chain that meshes with the teeth. It works absolutely fine and dandy.
  • bontie
    bontie Posts: 177
    Absolutely, I have ridden chorus 11 with 10speed cranks for considerable time.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Should not be too big of a problem to source a pre-2015 Chorus 11 speed chainset? I have not tried, mind, i am using CX 11 speed crank.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    yup - loads of pre-2015 5-arm Campag chainsets about on ebay and the like.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    I run Campag Record 10 speed from 2007. Works fine but having tried Dura Ace I realise how much more powerful dual pivot brakes are

So 10 speed Record from 2007 has no dual Pivot brakes?
  • rbarcan
    rbarcan Posts: 206
    Thanks for replies. In fact my Record may be 2006 I realise -pre skeleton and front is probably dual pivot. Rear definitely not and I was really impressed by the dual pivots front and rear on the Dura Ace I borrowed when in the Pyrenees last year. Oh and my rear mech is aging and won't accommodate more than 12:27, while my knees are also aging and crave 12:29...