Forks for teenage son's bike

BigAl
BigAl Posts: 3,122
edited December 2015 in MTB buying advice
My lad, 15, currently has a heavily upgraded Giant Revel - lots of parts from my spares bin. 9 spd XT drivetrain, Avid Juicy 5s and my old Pace XC39 forks (80mm)

It's now quite a nice bike, surprisingly light, but the forks, being 80mm, are a bit short (though obviously a massive improvement on the stock, coil Suntour XC?)

He's becoming quite a good rider and is looking to get himself a 2nd hand mid travel FS frame (most likely a Trance - as they're good value and abundant)

Obviously he'll need a much longer fork with a Trance

He's not likely to get a frame for another 6 months or so (he's saving). In the meantime I've said I'll get him some new forks. However these need to work with the Revel (ideally 100mm) and a future frame (ideally 120-140mm)

I've been thinking of RS air U-turn - probably a revelation or Recon. There's always Fox TALAS too though I no less about Fox forks.

RS seem to offer much better value - but any particular models to look for?

And what about Epicons - can they be internally altered between 100/120/140 mm?

26" wheels, straight steere, ideally QR (though I could upgrade his hub if it's the best option), budget £150-200

Any words of wisdom?

Comments

• brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    My lad, 15, currently has a heavily upgraded Giant Revel - lots of parts from my spares bin. 9 spd XT drivetrain, Avid Juicy 5s and my old Pace XC39 forks (80mm)

It's now quite a nice bike, surprisingly light, but the forks, being 80mm, are a bit short (though obviously a massive improvement on the stock, coil Suntour XC?)

He's becoming quite a good rider and is looking to get himself a 2nd hand mid travel FS frame (most likely a Trance - as they're good value and abundant)

Obviously he'll need a much longer fork with a Trance

He's not likely to get a frame for another 6 months or so (he's saving). In the meantime I've said I'll get him some new forks. However these need to work with the Revel (ideally 100mm) and a future frame (ideally 120-140mm)

I've been thinking of RS air U-turn - probably a revelation or Recon. There's always Fox TALAS too though I no less about Fox forks.

RS seem to offer much better value - but any particular models to look for?

And what about Epicons - can they be internally altered between 100/120/140 mm?

26" wheels, straight steere, ideally QR (though I could upgrade his hub if it's the best option), budget £150-200

Any words of wisdom?

I think your making it unnecessarily complicated ? why not pick him up some 100 mm forks for say 50 quid to do him for 6 months and then sell them for say 50 quid when the trance arrives and buy the decent ones then ?

NB Epicons are about 150 quid new and stand up very well against much dearer RS stuff. So you could buy both in your 200 quid budget
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I wouldn't put Epicon (Epixon now) on a Trance, the longer travel ones are a bit whippy and not really suited to what a Trance can do.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    I wouldn't put Epicon (Epixon now) on a Trance, the longer travel ones are a bit whippy and not really suited to what a Trance can do.

I dont profess to have your level of background knowledge, but he was quoting 120mmas his lowest requirement. I have ridden a Boardman with that size of Epicon on and its seemed better than OK to me, In fact it was excellent ?
  • The Rookie
    An Epicon is 'OK' at 120 (depending on use) I've read review at just 130 complaining of them being flexy, obviously QR v through axle may affect that in a satisfactory way....or not!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    I've managed to get hold of a set of Revelation Air U-Turn.

Buying 2nd hand forks is turning into a bit of a 'mare with all the different requirements
    3 wheel sizes
    straight or tapered steerers
    QR or numerous bolt through options.
    Then when you find one the right spec, the steerer is too damn short

Probably a bit flexy too at their longer end - but seeing as my son is about 8 stone wet through and quite a 'tidy' rider, they'll be fine.
  • The Rookie
    My daughter uses 130mm revs (32mm stanchion) with QR and they are pretty solid.