Another Tyre thread... Sorry

lawman
lawman Posts: 6,868
edited December 2015 in MTB buying advice
Not been hugely impressed by Schwalbe tyres (Magic Mary/Nobby Nic) on the Foxy recently so looking to change things up a bit. Needs to be a decent 2.3" size, 650b, Tubeless and not Schwalbe! Usual suspects are Maxxis HR's and Minions but availability is patchy, not sure how many there are out there. Got £30-40 budgeted for each tyre, would prefer something slightly faster rolling at the back if poss as well. Any suggestions?

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    WTB Trail Boss TCS Tough - High Grip for rear thats fast rolling but not going to be too good in the current damp.

shorty for the front maybe
  • What didn't you like about the Schwalbes? Might help if you also said what versions you have (as it makes a big difference) and what conditions you want your new tyres to excel in :) .
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I don't like my magic Marys. They only work in very specific conditions and are so soft that the nobbles tear off.
    I quite like High Roller II's good all round tyre, better all rounder than Minions. They grip best when really leant over in turns, a little bit vague feeling if you aren't pushing on.
  • wmorgs
    wmorgs Posts: 113
    Im trying out tubeless for the 1st time and impressed with these tyres on 2.25" size:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/onza-ibex-mtb-tyre/rp-prod120181

They also do 2.4", doing everything at afan seems good only done 3 outings so far.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    I don't like my magic Marys. They only work in very specific conditions and are so soft that the nobbles tear off.
    I quite like High Roller II's good all round tyre, better all rounder than Minions. They grip best when really leant over in turns, a little bit vague feeling if you aren't pushing on.
    Why are highroller 2s better? I heard that minions were faster rolling on hardpack and grippier in loose,or is this not true? Also interested in minions so very interested to hear your thoughts.
  • Just get high rollers... tried ad tested, you can't really go wrong
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    What didn't you like about the Schwalbes? Might help if you also said what versions you have (as it makes a big difference) and what conditions you want your new tyres to excel in :) .

They're the top of the line Evo models, trail star magic Mary and a trail star Nic. The Nic isn't that bad grip wise but feels kind of harsh and not very supple, even at lower pressures. The Mary is a monster in the gloop but on harder surfaces it can feel a little washy at times. It's perhaps a little too much for most of what I ride. I ride a pretty much 50/50 split between firm trail centre trails and sloppy natural trails, so need a solid all-rounder really, wouldn't mind something that still rolls well on the back. High roller 2/ardent seems like a popular combo, and the specialized butcher and purgatory also seem very popular too. Anyone used either of these combos?
  • hmmm doing alright on my Onza Ibex good all round grip in all levels, not hugely outstanding in any condition but consistent in all conditions. and its 2.4 possibly a little draggy though.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    High Rollers are better in more British (moist) conditions. You do have to ride hard through the corners to lean the bike over and get those side lugs digging in.
    Not much in it in the dry and if you like a more relaxed riding style then Minions are better.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I like the Ardent as a rear tyre, just be sure you get the right size as the 2.4" is not only wider than the 2.25" but also has much larger tread. Minion on the front sounds perfect if you find the Magic Mary to big.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • High Rollers are better in more British (moist) conditions. You do have to ride hard through the corners to lean the bike over and get those side lugs digging in.
    Not much in it in the dry and if you like a more relaxed riding style then Minions are better.

Yup, I found High rollers good but there is a gap in the grip as you lean over front the centre knobs to get into the shoulder, while the minion is far more consistent as you go.. I always enjoyed minion up front high roller rear set up.. though I never found the volume to be that good. always felt like a small tyre compared to the competition.
  • WTB Trail Boss TCS Tough - High Grip for rear thats fast rolling but not going to be too good in the current damp.

shorty for the front maybe

Big fan of the Trail Boss, but it's a three season tyre that doesn't clear mud particularly well.

Vigilante is a superb all-rounder that works in the crud as well.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris