no shock but….weightloss really does make you faster!

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited December 2015 in Road beginners
just really stating the obvious but might give a little push on for those who have been looking to lose weight too.
generally i have been anything between 15st lbs and unto near 17st! but our household is full of people on diets so has helped me also get on the losing weight thing. i weighed in at the end of last week just under 14st (not been that light for about 12 years). anyhow been up 2 local climbs over the weekend roughly 1.8 miles long say 7-8% ave….and took nearly 2 mins off one and about 30 sec off the other. the difference was remarkable and unlike when they ramped up at the end and i used to then be in granny cog struggling, this time i was able to hold a higher gear and maintain the speed. it was quite enlightening, i aim for another stone yet and i can only imagine how i ail feel if i make it down to target weight.
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• just really stating the obvious but might give a little push on for those who have been looking to lose weight too.
    generally i have been anything between 15st lbs and unto near 17st! but our household is full of people on diets so has helped me also get on the losing weight thing. i weighed in at the end of last week just under 14st (not been that light for about 12 years). anyhow been up 2 local climbs over the weekend roughly 1.8 miles long say 7-8% ave….and took nearly 2 mins off one and about 30 sec off the other. the difference was remarkable and unlike when they ramped up at the end and i used to then be in granny cog struggling, this time i was able to hold a higher gear and maintain the speed. it was quite enlightening, i aim for another stone yet and i can only imagine how i ail feel if i make it down to target weight.

Excellent, soon you'll be climbing like Froomey! Keep up the good work. :D
  • I am very similar to you, was 16 stone now just under 14. My climbing improved dramatically but when I lost a further half stone I was as weak as a kitten. So put a bit back on, to where I am now and it's a happy compromise. Think you can overdo weight loss with a resultant loss in power.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Me too but on a smaller scale; 11st 4 lbs down to 10st dead. Much easier up hill. And so it should be; 18 pounds is like carrying an extra bike!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you lose the weight by training on the bike its win win too :wink:
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    i am aiming for 13st but if i do feel the lack of power i will aim to put a bit back on. i was just so gobsmacked by how goos it felt, especially since i won't be as fit as even just 6 weeks ago. i am keeping the training up as much as i can…i have made sure i have my turbo spec ready for the days the weather is too rough. the other thing, using live segments is fab…well it is when your ahead and not behind!
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • Amazing, after a huge crash, and taking over a year off the bike. Along with hectic work schedules, i have put on 2.5 stone, aiming to be back down to 12 by the end of next year.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Me too but on a smaller scale; 11st 4 lbs down to 10st dead. Much easier up hill. And so it should be; 18 pounds is like carrying an extra bike!

You'll blow away in a light breeze :lol:
  • I'm currently anchoring HMS allez with my 15st 8lb lump of lard.

Hopefully it'll go down as I try (again) to shed some bulk before christmas but its that time of year as very little riding gets done, casseroles and mash are the choice instead of lean meat and salad and a nice glass of red seems a much better idea than doing an hour on the turbo.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • 13st at the moment but at 5'6" I need to be 11st at the most just to not be considered overweight! <10st would be entirely realistic for my height. That's 19kg! Or 2.4x the weight of my entire bike - just in excess weight, urgh :(
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    17 stone 8 down to 13 stone 6. The difference is night and day although a big part of losing the weight was riding 300-400km a week and that amount of riding made a massive distance
  • Well done thindaz!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • 17 stone 8 down to 13 stone 6. The difference is night and day although a big part of losing the weight was riding 300-400km a week and that amount of riding made a massive distance

The trick I've found is to be strict about your diet, cutting out almost all the snacks, as well as riding. My problem is that I often don't have time for the riding but I can always find time for the snacks!

I'm hoping that now I've got a turbo I'll be able to get on that for a bit most mornings through the week - unlike last year where I pretty much only rode at weekends.
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    You just need to be careful about how quick. I dropped from 76 Kg to 70 Kg in just over a month. Was slightly too quick and loss some power in the process. All about making sure you shed fat not muscle mass
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    I've put on a couple of stone over the last few years, big hills are a bitch but overall I'm a bit faster.
  • Its a fact that heavy people need to produce more power than lighter people to cycle the same speed unless going down hill. Therefore if you loose weight and still cycle at the same speed you are producing actual less power.