Nerdy section: Project Binky

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,195
edited May 2018 in The cake stop
Anyone been following this?

Episode 1 is here, there are 11 of them so far. Handy when the weather piddles on the pedalling chips.

@ TLW - Shropshire based, do you know where/of them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hCPODjJO7s

Farq me those boys are good.
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    That is a good watch.

It's amazing what you do if you throw enough money and time at something.

The older I get, the better I was.

• pinno
    That is a good watch.

When you get down to the latter episodes, you start to really appreciate their fabrication and mechanical skills - that money can't buy.
  • Yes been following this, watched their latest video last night. Impressed with the project, though in parts seems a bit over engineered, looking forward to seeing the finished result, just wish they would hurry up a bit :)
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Barstewards. Done all 11 in one sitting! too much time on my hands , but obviously not as much as them!

suppose I will Have to subscribe to the link to see the completed project. Real Triggers broom Job that Mini.
  • pinno
    Barstewards. Done all 11 in one sitting! too much time on my hands , but obviously not as much as them!

suppose I will Have to subscribe to the link to see the completed project. Real Triggers broom Job that Mini.

No you don't. They released the last episode a few days ago, it quickly becomes available on YouTube. We waited a couple of months for that one and we'll wait a couple more for the next one. I think this has been on the go since last January 2014.

Can you explain 'acumen' with the chassis set up?
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Can you explain 'acumen' with the chassis set up?

As a some times Teacher of Physics and Maths; Can I feck!

But I bet T47b's Bubble Car has got it in Spades, Especially after he's invented that New Bottom Bracket Standard.

On another note, any one know where I can get the rest of Banshee series 3 from. Cant catch up after watching up to the bit where the Squaw loses her Voice Box on the Spirit of Ecstasy .
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    I popped a couple of King pins into them t47b bottom brackets, works a treat on the bubbles's front suspension, perfect toe in :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pinno
    Episode 16 of Project Binky. Best one yet methinks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR1nU9IJsoM
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Quality entertainment that. Cheers!
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pinno

Have you seen the other 15 episodes? Worth starting from the beginning if you haven't.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Pinno wrote:

Have you seen the other 15 episodes? Worth starting from the beginning if you haven't.
    No, will start the series when I get a chance. Will share it with a mate I doubt has seen it either... just the other day he was turning up a new cylinder block complete with cooling fins for an old Norton restoration *on his own lathe at home*
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:

No, will start the series when I get a chance. Will share it with a mate I doubt has seen it either... just the other day he was turning up a new cylinder block complete with cooling fins for an old Norton restoration *on his own lathe at home*

Cool. Pics please :D
  • pinno
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Capt Slog wrote:
    That is a good watch.

I could never see the logic in this. Whats the point in buying an old car just to replace almost every part on it, including extra bracing and new panels, so the car really isn't the same? It would have been cheaper and easier buying a new car or making a kit car.

I appreciate the guys fabrication skills, but surely there's cheaper enjoyable hobbies out there?
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    ben@31 wrote:
    I could never see the logic in this. Whats the point in buying an old car just to replace almost every part on it
    ‘Cos it keeps me in a job.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I've just watched all 17 episodes in a marathon binge 24 hour watching session.
    My mind is blown at the extreme level of fabrication, like making the custom heater and blowers. There can be that many people around who still have those hand skills. I was thinking maybe now those brackets he had to cut, bend, weld, grind and fabricate could now be 3D printed as one solid piece ?

I wonder what the total build cost will be? He must really love that Austin Mini.

One of the comments on YouTube made me smile... Around episode 1 of Project Binky, they had just gave birth to a daughter. By episode 17, the daughter was starting school.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby