Cassette replaced under warranty but not chain.

StinkinHippy
StinkinHippy Posts: 160
edited December 2015 in MTB beginners
So my relatively new bike had a tooth break off the rear cassette, which was promptly replaced by halfords free of charge. They wouldn't however pay for the 'advised' new chain.

I'm aware that it can cause pretty bad wear to not change an old chain for new when changing drivetrain parts, but financially I simply can't afford that cost till the end of the month. (Yes money really is that right now that I can't afford 10-20 quid.)

The old chain has had maybe 500 miles on it, so am I risking doing major damage riding it as is?

Comments

• brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    So my relatively new bike had a tooth break off the rear cassette, which was promptly replaced by halfords free of charge. They wouldn't however pay for the 'advised' new chain.

I'm aware that it can cause pretty bad wear to not change an old chain for new when changing drivetrain parts, but financially I simply can't afford that cost till the end of the month. (Yes money really is that right now that I can't afford 10-20 quid.)

The old chain has had maybe 500 miles on it, so am I risking doing major damage riding it as is?

Im not saying its good practice, but no not major damage. It may cause the cassette to wear a bit faster till it fits the chain. but then you will be back where you were.. but then a new chain would wear faster as it doesn't fit the partly worn chain ring and vice versa SO ???? Unless your going to change all three at the same time, every time, there is always something not quite right
  • That's pretty much what I hoped it was. Accelerated wear to the point that things match.

I'm guessing there will also be minor wear above normal on the chain too while it beds down. But I'm not too stressed about that. Thinking of changing drivetrain next year anyway. Just debating the merits of 1 speed up front still.
  • JodyP
    JodyP Posts: 193
    Is the chain worn/stretched? If there is no wear and no visible signs of damage then you are risking nothing. There should be very little wear if the chain is sub 500 miles and its been looked after.
  • Is the chain worn/stretched? If there is no wear and no visible signs of damage then you are risking nothing. There should be very little wear if the chain is sub 500 miles and its been looked after.

Not saying I'm the kindest person in the world to my bikes, but this bike in 3 months has had more lube and cleaning than any other bike I've owned for years. Lol. Think I'll be fine. Taken a roll around on it and while the chain seems a little 'clicky' (best my brain can come up with to describe it. It seems to be sitting fine on the cog and isn't skipping or hesitating on gear changes up and down the cassette.
  • JodyP
    JodyP Posts: 193
    Should be fine if its been well lubed. Couple of quid on a cheap chain stretch tool would be a good investment when you can. Will save you money in the long run
  • Should be fine if its been well lubed. Couple of quid on a cheap chain stretch tool would be a good investment when you can. Will save you money in the long run

Sounds like a good idea, will stick one on the 'wish list'
  • Just make sure you use a quality chain lube, I use finish line wet lube almost all of the time but if you are a regular cleaner and maintenance person then get the Ceramic wet lube which is waxed based. It will last longer and protect your drivetrain better.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Should be fine if its been well lubed. Couple of quid on a cheap chain stretch tool would be a good investment when you can. Will save you money in the long run

Chain gauges are a waste of money. If gears are shifting fine then the chain is still good. I use mine long past the point where a chain gauge says they are dead.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This is getting monotonous. What he said. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools