Frankenbike Commuter!

John Wh
John Wh Posts: 239
edited December 2015 in Your mountain bikes
Hey All,

Been building and modifying my commuter MTB for a while now and I'm getting to the point where it's spot on for my needs.

The plan is to make it light and strong (without spending silly money). Eventually, I'll change the wheels, but the next cheapish things are going to be a carbon seatpost and bars. The old Tektro brakes are quite heavy too!

I might change the Tyres to these too: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/michelin-wild-run-r-slick-mtb-tyre/rp-prod48134

Any advice/input on how to make it lighter will go down well :)

Spec

Frame: No name Aluminium frame (20")
Fork: Onza Fly Guy Aluminium
Wheels: Voodoo Hoodoo Wheels
Brakes: Tektro Gemini
Crankset/Chainset: Shimano Alivio (single speed config)
Tyres: Schwalbe City Jet 1.9
Pedal: Shimano M520 SPD
Saddle: Charge Spoon
Seatpost: Voodoo Hoodoo 27.5mm
Bars/Stem: On One 680mm bar with Voodoo Stem
Grips: Specialized Half Lock on Grips

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

Comments

• brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    No one has commented so I will

I like that, I take it you had some hoodoo bits knocking about ? I suppose the easiest way to lose weight would be, as you suggest to get lighter tyres and then to look to replace the wheels with something better ?

Dont go mad though, part of its appeal is it cost next to nothing and looks ace. Any one can build a great bike if they spend loads of money

What does it weigh now ?
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    I'd fit some lightweight puncture resistant tyres, your city jets are heavy and those Michelins look like they'd punture far to easily, have look at conti sport contacts, they're a similar weight to the Michelins (460grams for a 1.6) but are very punture resistant, fit some lighter tubes.

Looks like a good solid reliable bike.
  • John Wh
    Cheers for the replies and opinions guys (especially on tyre options).

Yeah, the Voodoo bits were what I had left from my old bike. Some cheapish wheels will be on the cards.

I honestly don't know what it weights at the moment, I never ended up buying scales. at a guess I would say around 13.5kg. The brakes are surprisingly weighty. I will be using the Deores from my Stumpy when I upgrade those.
  • brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    Cheers for the replies and opinions guys (especially on tyre options).

Yeah, the Voodoo bits were what I had left from my old bike. Some cheapish wheels will be on the cards.

I honestly don't know what it weights at the moment, I never ended up buying scales. at a guess I would say around 13.5kg. The brakes are surprisingly weighty. I will be using the Deores from my Stumpy when I upgrade those.

Unless you have used a particularly heavy frame, I would be surprised if it wasnt a good bit lighter than that. Its mostly hoodoo bits, so should be about the weight of a hoodoo minus the saving on the teliforks and single gear set up, So 14ish kg minus quite a lot ?

If your intent on saving more weight it would seem a good idea to find what it actual does weigh, so you can see if what you are doing is worth while

push it into Boots the chemist or similar and weigh you and then you holding the bike
  • John Wh
    It's possible that it is lighter than that. I think it's because the back feels a lot heavier since I swapped the fork (front weighs nothing now!)

I'm going to invest in some hanging scales, they aren't that expensive. I can imagine I'd get a few funny looks carting a bike into Boots and holding it while I stand on the scales :)