Increasing mud clearance

Moonbiker
Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
edited December 2015 in Cyclocross
Last cross race I did I only managed 1 lap before the wheels jammed with mud so pretty much ran the whole couse after that for 1 hr :x

Mud collects under the front fork jams the front wheel, & then behind the bottom bracket jams the rear.

Annoying thing was many other people bikes didn't clog as bad & at end of race looking at them It seemes to be beacause they had a few more mm tyre frame clearance.

My bike is a 105 ridley xbow canti. (clement crusader tyres)

Was thinking of the possible modfications to try increase mud clearance.

Possible things:

mtb 29" rigid carbon front fork instead of the cx one = bigger trye fork clearance.
Narrower rims & tyres.
Top pull cx front mech, to get rid of the little pulley which clogs with mud
Single ring & mtb clutch mech. (this combo doesn't require bash guard or chain catcher aparently?)
Different brand canti brakes (not sure this makes any difference.)

Or new bike with disc wheels :lol:

Comments

• VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    edited December 2015
    Your cheapest option is different tyres. The PDXs come up big. Try Limus.

Single ring is always worthwhile, don't need MTB mech, narrow-wide works fine with road mech.

Edit: to say don't go mad after one cloggy race, these conditions aren't all that common.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Definitely get rid of front mech. Avid Shorty Ultimate come highly recommended for mud clearance.

Although when it gets really muddy the best option is having a pitman and a spare bike.
  • Moonbiker
    Yeah the pdx do seem wider then some other tyres.

Only one bike allowed in the league and no pit men etc allowed.

Its not a BC registed league its independent so they banned 2 bikes & pit etc to make fair for people who don't want spend too get 2 bikes. Also mtbs are allowed but i don't have a decent mtb.

This weekends course gonna be alot more muddy than in was earlier in the season as desmond = torrential rain flooding & all over the palce. 8)

Video of the course from earlier in season that will re-running that this weekend :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPmmm2gcXaw

Info it anyone fancies it .

http://nwcycloxgroup.ning.com/profiles/blogs/evolution-bikes-round-8-sunday-13th-december-amlwch-ynys-mon?xg_source=activity
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Your cheapest option is different tyres. The PDXs come up big. Try Limus.

Single ring is always worthwhile, don't need MTB mech, narrow-wide works fine with road mech.

Edit: to say don't go mad after one cloggy race, these conditions aren't all that common.
    All of the above.

I did a season on Clement tyres, including the infamous nationals at Derby where I ran most of the course carrying what felt like a 20kg bike, and was consistently clogging more quickly than the riders around me. Narrower tyres really do make a huge difference in those conditions, even though the difference doesn't look that significant. Limus sounds like a good suggestion.

Probably not relevant here, but you sometimes get courses where the mud isn't too bad except for a short section of really sticky stuff. If you get this, consider running that section, even if it's rideable, just to preserve the bike. Also, make sure you start the race with a clean bike; it's amazing how many people don't. You don't need a pressure washer to clean a CX bike reasonably quickly, you can do a pretty good job with a bucket of water and a dishwashing brush. If you're married, just make sure you clean the brush thoroughly before putting it back in the kitchen.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Robb0
    Robb0 Posts: 90
    All excellent advice I think.
    you sometimes get courses where the mud isn't too bad except for a short section of really sticky stuff. If you get this, consider running that section, even if it's rideable, just to preserve the bike.
    That's the mistake I made on Sunday I think - if I had run through the really deep stuff it might have left my bike rideable.
    Looking at a spare bike, preferably a disc one. I had a look at a Cannondale CAADX disc in Evans today and was surprised how little chainstay clearance it had with standard 35mm cross tyres - less than 1cm.
  • Moonbiker
    A monstercross bike but with normal cx wheels/tyres so has huges clearances would be ideal for mud.

1NY8ZZDX-MonsterBikecopy.jpg
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Monstercross? Looks like 29er with drop bars and brifters to me. Hideous.