Can Tufo tubs be repaired?

trek_dan
trek_dan Posts: 1,366
edited December 2015 in Cyclocross
Suffered a big gash in my rear Tufo Flexus Cubus, I've tried sealing it but I think its just too big. Can Tufos be repaired? I understand they don't have a separate innertube like other tubs and trying to patch the outer skin from the inside rarely works. Anyone had any experience?

Comments

• VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    My thoughts are that if two separate attempts with Tufo Extreme won't seal it, it's probably a bin job. Try using more sealant for your second go, and let it stand for longer with the cut in the lowest position, periodically reinflating. Extreme is quite good at building up to fill big holes over time.

As you observe, the construction of the tyre defies other form of repair.
  • trek_dan
    Thanks VamP. I'll try putting the rest of the bottle of sealant in and leave it a while longer before inflating and see if it'll seal. Devastated as it was only 2 races old and lead to a DNF while I was on course for best finish ever.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    Unlucky!
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Get rid and get a decent set of tubs.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • trek_dan
    Update: I think its sealed. I can't see any sealant bubbling through and held pressure for an hour while I was on the turbo. I'll check tonight if its held for 24 hours or not. Pretty impressed with the sealant if it has considering how large a gash it was.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You could also try tubeless repair 'worms' for bigger gashes
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..