shamrock134
shamrock134 Posts: 714
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
Simple question, which front deep rim?

Zipp 808 Firecrest or Reynolds Aero 90?

Comments

• john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    I would go for the zipp 808 firecrest due to its shape.It has a toroidal u shape which is wider in the middle like a fish were as the Reynolds is more of a v shape.Both would be good in a direct head wind but the zipp will perform much better when the wind is gusting and coming at an angle(like it does most of the time).

just my thoughts and other opinions are available :D
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    The Reynolds will be quicker at higher speeds. Won't be much in it at lower speeds, zipp may edge it at lower speed in crosswinds.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    The Reynolds Aero 90 every time. Way easier to handle in crosswinds. In regards to overall aero performance, there isn't much in it (at higher yaw the Reynolds will be faster just because it's more controllable). If you were looking for a low yaw wheel, the original H3 or non-FC 808 would be quicker.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • napoleond
    Interesting that it'd be quicker at higher yaw too. I'm slowly starting to think about one of these bad boys myself...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Grill
    If you want to see how it will handle you can borrow my RZR 92... ;)
  • napoleond
    If you want to see how it will handle you can borrow my RZR 92... ;)

You'd never get it back! :D
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Grill
    Might have it up for sale soon...
  • Cheers guys.

Interestingly, Reynolds rate their Aero 90 and RZR rear wheels as more aero than their Element disc wheel.
  • Grill
    The Element is a solid flat disc (used to have one), but not the pinnacle of wheel tech. Keep in mind that frame design plays a huge role in whether a flat or lenticular disc (or even a deep rear) will be faster. Also, at low yaw a disc will always be faster.
  • In all honesty, my TT position and fitness need work before differing performance in wheelsets comes into play! It's purely down to vanity and bling which I'm not ashamed to admit. :lol:
  • Grill
    Dude, I know all about the bling. :D

12068419_10153127962761766_5710095471434718556_o_zpsqdaeuyah.jpg
  • Sold!
  • napoleond
    Heh, nice one :)
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Nice socks.
  • jrich
    jrich Posts: 278
    The Reynolds will be quicker at higher speeds. Won't be much in it at lower speeds, zipp may edge it at lower speed in crosswinds.

What's your reasoning there out of interest? Or maybe you have some data that shows the Aero 90 to be quicker?
  • napoleond
    Best off asking Grill as he races for the team that test such things...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Grill
    At zero yaw narrow and low watts to spin is key which is why the H3 is king. In regards to the Aero 90 vs. the 808 FC, read the executive summary on the RZR92 (effectively the same wheel) and you'll see there's not much in it. The fact that the Aero is infinitely easier to control in crosswinds and has proven hubs makes it a better choice. As far as data is concerned, I'm not at liberty to share mine.

http://www.reynoldscycling.com/uploads/RZR_Executive_Summary_rev1.pdf
  • jrich
    Hmmm interesting...I've always coveted a set of Aeros, either 90s for my TT bike or 72s for my road bike. Unfortunately I've never had the opportunity to try any and they don't come up for sale very often. What you say agrees with what I have heard though, especially with regard their handling characteristics in windy conditions. They seem to be a bit of a overlooked/neglected choice really. I shall keen dreaming for now...
  • Grill
    Had a set of 72's back when I had my Wyndy. Regret selling them, so nice.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have 88 mm deep v section rims on my tt bike and if it a bit windy it all a bit iffy and not pleasant to ride. Best left for the calmer days.

The zipp wheel would not get past the brake pads on my tt bike will they on yours.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • jrich
    The zipp wheel would not get past the brake pads on my tt bike will they on yours.

I have a zipp 808 FC which fits into my TT bike very snugly. I did have to modify the rear brake in order to get a reasonable pull on the brake lever but it wasn't too much of an issue. They front wheel has a standard caliper so that's fine.