Giant Anthem SX 1 2016

Uvbntangoed100
Uvbntangoed100 Posts: 9
edited March 2016 in Your mountain bikes
Just got myself one of these, yet to give it a good run out, but can't wait.
Previously ridden a hard tail boardman comp, so the difference between the bikes is massive.
I tried out a few bikes at a local demo day and this one felt so light and fast I loved it.
Anyone else have one of these as finding reviews etc online for this new model seems almost non existent for now.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/anthem.27.5.sx.1/25018/90548/

That's the link to the model any comments on spec etc welcomed and anyone with one or had a shot of one please let me know what you thought.

Also I seen some posts stating that giant were dropping OD2 system in 2015, but it would appear they have not as all 2016 models still have it.

Cheers

Uvb

Comments

• they have dropped it...
    only 2014 models are OD2, 2015 and 2016 are back to industry standard 1 1/8
  • Ok on Giants official website most 2016 models seem to still be specced with OD2 unless they have made a mistake
  • My 2015 has an OD2 sized stem but it has been fitted with a shim under it. The steerer is normal size. I think this is where the confusion is coming from.
  • Ah maybe that is what's on mines then. Not that it matters much it was just so if I decided to shorten the stem a little I would order the right part.
    Went out for a xc cycle with a local group last night and gave my bike a good wee run in. Very muddy though.
    Can't compare the shimano 2 cog system to my 11 speed, but I like the 11 speed and the sram gears, in my head I couldnt get my head around the 11 speed gearing and how it would give me enough low gears etc, but it seems to be great compared to my old 3 cog bike.
    Found the rear a bit sciterish last night, but it really was very muddy and the tyres probably are not perfect for those conditions.
    I'm thinking I need to try and adjust the handle bar position a bit or possibly get a slightly shorter stem as this bike has wider bars than my old one so will have to get used to the difference.
    Maybe next time I'm out I will try and get a shot of a medium sized anthem to compare how they feel as mines is large.
  • I had a change to ride one of these.. One of my favorite bikes to ride so far. I am hopefully going to get the 2016 been waiting for that one for a while now too. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Cheers :P
  • Just a wee update on how I'm getting on with the new bike :D
    Due to buying the large version I've shortened the stem to 60mm and now my handling etc is much better.
    Might try going shorter still at some point just to see if it gets better or worse.

Started racking up some great times on strava etc now on this bike
    Just converted to tubeless in the last few days and so far loving it. It comes tubeless ready so rude not to.
  • I have been using a 50mm stem for a good while now on my large Sx and it seems to work fine as far as I can tell. The stock stem seems a good bit too big in my view. I have however also fitted some slightly wider and straighter bars. The bend on the stock bars in particular seemed to put my elbows in a slightly odd position. I am toying with the idea of trying a 40mm stem just to see what it feels like. Probably not the norm for an xc type bike with a steepish head angle but I actually quite it because it feels nimble but I dont have the front wheel right under me when I am going downhill.