Favourite Peak District Climbs ?

2»

Comments

• R0B75
    R0B75 Posts: 376
    Wardster00 wrote:
    This isn't strictly the Peak District but it's very close. I rode this climb yesterday and it's a cracker.

2.3miles long with an average grade of 7%. It starts off steep and feels like a series of ramps and then a bit of a drag towards the top. I combined it with a climb of Star Bank and both of them are pretty testing.

http://www.strava.com/segments/2579057

That looks decent on street view. I feel a route through there coming up very soon.

Did Rowsley Bar for the first time last Saturday. Into a head wind all the way up = brutal, especially for a chunky cyclist like me. :lol:
  • huwowen
    huwowen Posts: 5
    A few favourites in the White Peak area…

- Alport to Winster up to the Miners Standard.
    - Crowdecote near Longnor.
    - Cardelmere Lane climb out of Parwich up to A515.
    - The climb out of Ilam towards Alstonfield nr Dovedale.
    - Through Brassington up to Longcliffe.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Quite like the Crich one from Bullbridge.
    One I've only done once and thought it would never end (just to the house, just to that gate, the telegraph pole...) is out of Wirksworth showing on Google Maps as 'W End' (and Kiln Bank).
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    As someone has already mentioned, the Peak Epic sportive route is a good one. I've done the medium course a few times, 63 miles with 7,300ft of climbing and 7 categorised climbs. The long 100 miler has 13,000ft and 14 categorised climbs. Both start and finish in Bakewell. There's an immediate 1 mile climb out of Bakewell, my Garmin was reading 1.2 miles and 500ft of elevation, that's what you call warm up :lol:

For sheer steepness Riber road probably tops Winnats, I had never zig-zagged on a climb until I got to the top section of that! Going down it is just as bad, the hairpins are so steep it feels like you're going over the bars.

'Sir William Hill' is another good one, as is heading up to the gliding club at Abney from the other direction.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Quite an old thread....but someone else has revived it in recent months, so I've only just seen it. These are all right on my doorstep, so have been up lots (not so many of the tougher ones) and know of the ones I haven't!

Found a good one a couple of weeks ago heading from Combs (little village south-west of Chapel-en-le-Frith) over the hill to Dove Holes - its not a busy road by any means, but the steep bit is narrow, so if you meet a car, you'll probably end up stopping to get past, and then setting off again can be tricky, but there's a pretty good view once you're at the top.

Similar area too is Long Hill heading north out of Buxton towards Whaley Bridge. Not too steep, but its long enough and then a nice descent on the other side!! If you bear left at the top, you drop down to Errwood reservoir and then can go through to Derbyshire Bridge and up to Cat & Fiddle that other people have recommended.
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • Think these three are my favourite Peak District climbs:

Toboggan run up from Greenlands to Hollins Cross
    Ladybower Inn to the Whinstone Lee Tor viewpoint
    Hope Quarry climbs

See my recent blog on this for descriptions of what they're like:

https://gorillainthepeak.wordpress.com/
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Salters Lane, off Snitterton Road in Matlock, long, steep and gnarly :) Also climbing up through Bonsall village.
  • [quote="Schoie81"

Similar area too is Long Hill heading north out of Buxton towards Whaley Bridge. Not too steep, but its long enough and then a nice descent on the other side!! If you bear left at the top, you drop down to Errwood reservoir and then can go through to Derbyshire Bridge and up to Cat & Fiddle that other people have recommended.[/quote]

An absolutley lovely piece of road
  • My faves are blaze hill to pyms chair, the other side of that hill which is 'the street' and Holme Moss. Oh and Marple to Mellor.
    I live North end though so haven't explored the south too much.
  • My faves are blaze hill to pyms chair, the other side of that hill which is 'the street' and Holme Moss. Oh and Marple to Mellor.
    I live North end though so haven't explored the south too much.

Blaze hill followed by pyms chair is a proper lung buster
  • What about this one. Think they also call it Thorncliffe Bank locally.

Toughie is that.

https://www.strava.com/segments/8226265?