Upgrading Trek Marlin 7 2015

LJpalo
LJpalo Posts: 3
edited December 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys,

So I've had my Marlin 7 for almost a year now..
And it feels like my groupset is at it's end. (the standard shimano altus stuff).
After a few crashes my crankset has become a little bit wobbly and my cassettes are getting rusty. (I live on an island so lots of salt).
So i'm looking to upgrade my groupset with a Shimano SLX M675 10speed. Now, i found a great deal for this online but does anybody know if it will fit on my bike or are there any other better groupsets?

I mainly use my bike for going to work and back home. Wich is about 40 min's everyday. Apart from that I go on some trails 3/4 times a week. The island has a lot of hills so it's a alot of climbing everyday.

Not really new to mountainbiking but this is the first time I would upgrade something by myself. Never really got into the technical part of mtb before.
Any suggestions or maybe help?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Any grpoupset will fit as ;long as you get the parts compatible with your bike, such as the BB fitment, from what I can find of your frame its standard English BB shell, so the SLX stuff should fit fine, it will also go rusty if you don't take care of it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    Any grpoupset will fit as ;long as you get the parts compatible with your bike, such as the BB fitment, from what I can find of your frame its standard English BB shell, so the SLX stuff should fit fine, it will also go rusty if you don't take care of it.

An occasional blast of WD 40 will keep it in tip top( non rusty) condition
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just like magic?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I clean it about 3 times a week. (the whole groupset) to keep the rust off but the salt is just corroding it away.
    Anyways thanks for your help. :D
  • The Rookie
    What lube are you using, cleaning it removes the protection from corrosion so you need to replace it.

For my commuter (where the front wheel washes the chain, chainset and cassette with salty water in winter) I use a good quality wet lube like finishline or Muc-off, its messy and you have to clean the gunge off, but it protects!

WD40/GT85 are OK for dispersing water but won't do anything to lubricate or protect in use.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sssssshhhhhh.
    Don't talk too loud or brianbee will argue for the next gazillion pages.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • brianbee
    What lube are you using, cleaning it removes the protection from corrosion so you need to replace it.

For my commuter (where the front wheel washes the chain, chainset and cassette with salty water in winter) I use a good quality wet lube like finishline or Muc-off, its messy and you have to clean the gunge off, but it protects!

WD40/GT85 are OK for dispersing water but won't do anything to lubricate or protect in use.

We have done this !, but what ever is lubrication qualities, WD is very good at protecting exposed metal from corrosion, Which is the problem the OP was concerned with, re his cassette. Personally I would bury the whole cassette in lithium grease. but that may be a bit messy for some ?
  • The Rookie
    WD40 won't protect anything subjected to something that will remove it, it's fine for storage, not on a chain in use.
  • brianbee
    WD40 won't protect anything subjected to something that will remove it, i.
    yes but that is true of anything
  • The Rookie
    Chain lube lasts more than ten seconds though......