Anyone heard of this company?

SCBronsonCC
SCBronsonCC Posts: 42
edited December 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi everyone,

I was browsing a few sites, Facebook etc when I came across this company which caught my eye;
http://chirubikes.com/

Their website isn't great but there Facebook page is regularly updated and they seem to be quite a large company with numerous team riders pulling in good results;
https://www.facebook.com/CHIRU-Bikes-115992431759424/

Anyway their 100mm 29er carbon frame caught my eye and I am quite tempted to pull the trigger and take a punt on it, Frame price is about £1400-1500 with the exchange rate, thats complete with 5 years warranty, I managed to get some tech info and it should be suitable for what I need and pricing seems ok.

Just wondering if anyone on here has heard/used/seen one before and what your thoughts were?
There is a few other frames I shortlisted but having something a little less common is appealing and the frame does tick a box for me.

Here is another link I found on them:
http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/12/17/chiru-adds-unique-new-29er-650b-full-suspension-hardtail-mountain-bikes/

I would probably go for a 2 x 11 XT set up, Fox 32 100/120mm forks, Mavic or DT wheelset.

Cheers!

1HeDJxV.jpg

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Good luck with that. Website sucks balls.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    If you've £1500 lying around to take a 'punt' then go for it.

I wouldn't.
  • No problem with questions etc. Spoke to a couple of there dealers as well.
    There website is terrible but from what I see they sell direct to dealers who then have the correct info etc.
    The site could do with an update though lol.

I was considering a Tallboy but at £1800 for the aluminium version this makes better sense and to be honest I love the look of it!
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    No problem with questions etc. Spoke to a couple of there dealers as well.
    There website is terrible but from what I see they sell direct to dealers who then have the correct info etc.
    The site could do with an update though lol.

I was considering a Tallboy but at £1800 for the aluminium version this makes better sense and to be honest I love the look of it!

Look, it's your money to spend in the best way you see fit.

But...

I'd want to feel a bit more secure in terms of the provenance of the frame. A Santa Cruz is hardly a cheap option, and the badge carries a huge premium, but if it was my money I'd take a proven frame with after sales back-up ahead of the carbon frame you're considering.

And I wouldn't be shedding £1.5K because 'I love the look of it'. Bikes are for riding not looking at
  • Appreciate the feedback, food for thought!

Il have a sleep on it tonight and consider other options this week. No mega rush for a frame so won't be jumping out of bed in the morn to buy it lol. Hopefully make a decision this/next week then look at ordering.

Cheers!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    There are so many extremely good options at that price I don't think I would be buying a frame by an unknown brand with a terrible website, limited information, questionable spares backup and no reviews. Plus from experience I can say that shock is absolute rubbish.
  • Thanks again.

I agree about the site but luckily I have spoken to dealers and questions are answered quickly so I haven't really had any problems directly with the site/company them selves.

I am still thinking on it so will keep you all updated.

Cheers!
  • Correct there is plenty of reviews online.

Was hoping someone on here may have tried one so I could get some feedback from UK soil.

Looks unlikely though lol
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    There are so many extremely good options at that price I don't think I would be buying a frame by an unknown brand with a terrible website, limited information, questionable spares backup and no reviews. Plus from experience I can say that shock is absolute rubbish.
    Did you google it I found lots of reviews going back to about 2010.

I couldn't find recent reviews for this model.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Which isn't unusual, bikes only go out to the press just after a launch, you keep the same one going and there is no need, 100mm 29er XC bikes haven't really changed much in the last 5 years so it's as expected really!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.