Racing at Lee Valley circuit - practicalities

topcattim
topcattim Posts: 766
edited December 2015 in Road general
I'm planning to enter a circuit race at Lee Valley in a couple of weeks' time. I've raced at a couple of circuits in the South, at Thruxton and Ludgershall. At those, you can just drive up and park your car, unload etc. From my previous experience going to the velodrome (but I know I'll be on the track circuit, not the velodrome!), I think it might be a bit more complicated at Lee Valley as I've not noticed a lot of car parking space by the circuit. Can anyone advise what the practicalities are like in terms of parking your car, getting to the track etc?

And any other advice about what the track circuit is like would be much appreciated, too! Thanks

Comments

• JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    There is a fair amount of parking right next to the circuit and velodrome on Eton Manor Walk. I spent a lot of time there on the velodrome last year and parking was always available except when the big events were on and the car park was full of storage containers.

Haven't actually ridden the road circuit so can't comment on that I'm afraid!

Aerial view of car park here https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.550085,-0.0139883,288m/data=!3m1!1e3
  • There is a fair amount of parking right next to the circuit and velodrome on Eton Manor Walk. I spent a lot of time there on the velodrome last year and parking was always available except when the big events were on and the car park was full of storage containers.

Haven't actually ridden the road circuit so can't comment on that I'm afraid!

Aerial view of car park here https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.550085,-0.0139883,288m/data=!3m1!1e3
    Ah, that's great, thanks Jack. Hadn't thought of Google Earth. Great view of the track circuit too.
  • The Westfield shopping centre has 10's of thousands of spaces if need be - right next door
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I like the circuit - suits the, ahem, more "powerful" physique. There are a couple of hairpins and moderate inclines, but overall it is pretty undemanding and wide and fast. Having said that, there often seem to be crashes in the 3/4 races, perhaps due to the fact that the races have a tendency to stay in a bunch as it is quite tough to get away and stay away, and with large numbers involved people are often tempted to try stupid moves to get to the front.
  • I like the circuit - suits the, ahem, more "powerful" physique. There are a couple of hairpins and moderate inclines, but overall it is pretty undemanding and wide and fast. Having said that, there often seem to be crashes in the 3/4 races, perhaps due to the fact that the races have a tendency to stay in a bunch as it is quite tough to get away and stay away, and with large numbers involved people are often tempted to try stupid moves to get to the front.
    Thanks Mat (BigMat!) I'm a Cat 4 in search of my last point for promotion, so will have to brave the crash risk!
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I like the circuit - suits the, ahem, more "powerful" physique. There are a couple of hairpins and moderate inclines, but overall it is pretty undemanding and wide and fast. Having said that, there often seem to be crashes in the 3/4 races, perhaps due to the fact that the races have a tendency to stay in a bunch as it is quite tough to get away and stay away, and with large numbers involved people are often tempted to try stupid moves to get to the front.
    Thanks Mat (BigMat!) I'm a Cat 4 in search of my last point for promotion, so will have to brave the crash risk!

Too late...points reset 1st Dec.
  • Thanks Mat (BigMat!) I'm a Cat 4 in search of my last point for promotion, so will have to brave the crash risk!

I think you may have missed the boat Tim, as the race season closes on 30th November. Winter series points scored count towards the following year's total, so please don't risk crashing!

edit - the chap above beat me to the reply!
  • Thanks Mat (BigMat!) I'm a Cat 4 in search of my last point for promotion, so will have to brave the crash risk!

I think you may have missed the boat Tim, as the race season closes on 30th November. Winter series points scored count towards the following year's total, so please don't risk crashing!

Ah. Oh. I had thought that it was a calendar year. that's really helpful to hear. Oh well, back to Thruxton Cat 4s next season.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019

Ah. Oh. I had thought that it was a calendar year. that's really helpful to hear. Oh well, back to Thruxton Cat 4s next season.

A real shame Ludgershall is dead and there isn't an early season set of races at Thruxton. This area is missing a winter series! I like to use them for getting back into race shape for March...I'm gonna have to go up to Stourport!!
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    outside of that you have the winter series at Hillingdon, which is in my opinion one of the best run series for people starting racing, the standard is ok to be honest. the only issue is the amount of people on the circuit.
    Cyclopark, which is more a test of your sanity than any other thing. helps if you can sprint up shallow pitched inclines and navigate hairpins at stupid speeds. its a tough course as its exposed. usually if a strong group get organised, then you'd have to hang on to them. its very attritional.
    Velopark is a great circuit, but there are a fair few pedal strikers that I've had to ride round when they fall off at the hairpin!

I've had a couple of club mates finish on 11 points for the end of November, and both are really gutted. I'd try the velopark races and the Hillingdon crits if you can get a space. they are usually pretty booked up.