Colnago E1

inseine
inseine Posts: 5,786
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi guys. Can't find out much about the E1. I've been looking for an extreme C to be honest but one of these has come up, with Super record 11 speed for £550. Got to be a good deal, no?
On the minus side, the E1 seems to have been a cheaper model than the C50 for example and it's semi monocoque. On the plus side it was the last made in Italy monocoque.

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    10 yrs ago it was considered a great, tough, stiff but comfortable frame. Monocoque front triangle, individual seat and chainstays.
    Not the lightest (especially compared to an extreme c) but that wouldn't matter.

Go for it!!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • inseine
    Thanks. I'm really waiting for a Saronni paint scheme (probably an extreme C) but they never come up in my size whereas the E1 might be OK for me. It would keep my Colnago bug at bay.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    You wouldn't lose anything on it. Bit of a no brainer at that price!
    It took me 5 yrs of waiting and looking for the right frame/size/paint job combo to come up for me. But my word it was worth it.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • At that price it sounds a bargain, if the sizing is right. At £550, you could try this for a few months and if you like it, you could send it to be re-sprayed in Saronni colours (at Argos cycles or Atlantic Boulevard, who both paint carbon frames). I like my C40 so much I had it re-sprayed in a colour scheme of my choice.

The E1 was only out for a year (I believe). Colnago have always had a good history of producing pro bikes for the One day classics. They tend to over-build their frames, rather than go for the lightest weight. I ride a C40, which pre-dates this by a year or two and still love the comfort and stiffness combination. It fits well, too, which is the key factor.

Let us know what you decide to do.

David
  • inseine
    Looks like i hestited too long...... :|
    Don't feel sorry, I have 14 bikes and really it's getting out of hand.