Vote Armitstead.
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• +1

John
  • 'Mon the Lizzie
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Yeah, come on Lizzie, such a great year she's had.

There's not many countries where a two-times Tour de France winner woulnd't have been sports personality of the year, mind
  • Yeah, come on Lizzie, such a great year she's had.

There's not many countries where a two-times Tour de France winner woulnd't have been sports personality of the year, mind

Unfortunately I dont think Lizzie stands much of a chance. Her profile is minimal here, and Lizzie herself isnt bothered about doing much in the way of mainstream interviews, apparently. That's not a criticism, its just that its not high up on her priority list.

SPOTY will be a two-up battle tween Jess Ennis Hill and Andy Murray, methinks

*scurries off to Billy Hill*

• SPOTY will be a two-up battle tween Jess Ennis Hill and Andy Murray, methinks

Lewis Hamilton or Tyson Fury.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    #teamlizzie

Shame really that cycling has two nominees (Who'd ever think that could be possible? :mrgreen: ) as the vote will be spilt and diluted and neither will win.

Its Lizzie for me, great acheivements, would be a great boost for womens cycling and also on the basis that Froome doesn't really (seem to) make any effort for UK based fans at all, with regards for any appearances, events etc.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner

• SPOTY will be a two-up battle tween Jess Ennis Hill and Andy Murray, methinks

Lewis Hamilton or Tyson Fury.

Hamilton won last year - consecutive wins are as rare as hen's teeth

And Fury,,,people will take blandness, but not the sh&&e that comes out of his gob
  • Never underestimate the power of the boxing vote when it's corralled properly. The thing that may stop Fury is that he divides the boxing world almost as much as the general public so may lose the "collective voting" that saw Calzaghe and Fatton etc. picking up awards.

The Davis Cup win may help Murray to another win.

Word Titles and Santander ads are all very well but they don't capture the public the same as an Olympic year so I'm not convinced about Ennis-Hill (or Farah).

Armitstead should get it, but won't. But if you're going to nominate her then why isn't Rachel Atherton in there as she's WC and World Cup Champ AGAIN? It could be argued that she's the Marianne Vos of Team GBR - but on an MTB.

There's a good case for all of them but it'll be the sports that can muster the votes again and, as has been pointed out, there's a potential problem there for cycling.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Rachel Atherton is immense. But presumably the panel have struggled to understand that there is a sport such as Downhill, so the voting public...no chance

Its not right. It just is.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Rachel Atherton is immense. But presumably the panel have struggled to understand that there is a sport such as Downhill, so the voting public...no chance

Its not right. It just is.

For context a google of her 2015 palmares:

World champ
    1st overall in World Cup
    First in all 7 rounds except round 1 where she was 2nd....
  • I know. The brains trust that was the nominee selection panel need educating.
  • Quite. Hence my comment.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Davis cup team will be a shoo-in for the team award. As for the SPOTY itself hmmm...difficult. Perhaps the Faux Marrow but athletics has taken a bit of a beating lately. Having said that Jess Ennis's return was pretty emphatic and she is a national treasure
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    Does anyone have nifty list of the contenders they can copy and paste? All I can find is the ones with pretty pictures and descriptions. I feel like this thread needs a list.

Comparing different sports is always fraught with difficulty, but why do the BR pundits have Lizzie Armitstead ahead of Froome?
  • Davis cup team will be a shoo-in for the team award. As for the SPOTY itself hmmm...difficult. Perhaps the Faux Marrow but athletics has taken a bit of a beating lately. Having said that Jess Ennis's return was pretty emphatic and she is a national treasure

Nah, not the Marrow. Nominated twice, not made the podium either time (and I need to get out more...)
  • Does anyone have nifty list of the contenders they can copy and paste? All I can find is the ones with pretty pictures and descriptions. I feel like this thread needs a list.

Comparing different sports is always fraught with difficulty, but why do the BR pundits have Lizzie Armitstead ahead of Froome?

World Champ AND winner for 2nd year in a row of the UCI womens World Cup. No 1 womens roadie of the season. Won throughout the season right from the Ladies Tour of Qatar onwards. National champ. etc etc
  • Much as I love Lizzie, for me it has to be Kevin Sinfield for all of his achievements.

Nah, not the Marrow. Nominated twice, not made the podium either time (and I need to get out more...)

Ah but now he has secured the Quorn vote...no you're right, not really a contender.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Does anyone have nifty list of the contenders they can copy and paste? All I can find is the ones with pretty pictures and descriptions. I feel like this thread needs a list.

She has achieved a lot more than Froome this year. That said, I've never really warmed to her, and can't quite put my finger on it... I've got a lot more time for Froome. But rightly or wrongly the Great British public don't see him as properly British so I can't see him ever being a real contender.

It's all academic anyway, it'll be Andy Murray or Jess E-H. And I bloody LOVE Jessica Ennis-Hill, so would have no problem with that.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Athletes Jessica Ennis-Hill, Mo Farah and Greg Rutherford are included, with tennis player Andy Murray, F1's Lewis Hamilton and footballer Lucy Bronze.

Boxer Tyson Fury, cyclists Chris Froome and Lizzie Armitstead, swimmer Adam Peaty, gymnast Max Whitlock and rugby league's Kevin Sinfield are nominated.

We're spoilt for choice these days. I remember the dark days of the 90's when Damon Hill was winning for losing the Drivers Championship and Greg Rusedski for losing the US Open.

Greg Rutherford is as worthy as anyone on that list.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    So long as it's not the *****.

Hamilton's back to back WCs and Team Murray winning the Davis Cup set them up for top 2 (plus no dilution of their respective votes) with Jess in third.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Underestimate Kevin Sinfield at your peril. Rugby League fans are an evangelical bunch and they'll vote in their numbers, even non-Leeds fans. He'll be top three I reckon.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    It'll be fixed, it always is.

A complete waste of time, reflecting most of BBC Sport's output.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    SPOTY always reminds me how 'uni-sport' I am.
    It's a shame that the most interesting factoid the BBC can come up with about Lizzie is that she has porridge and a cup of coffee for breakfast...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/34845334
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    The Davis Cup Tennis was on BBC TV and only recently so SPOTY is a certain for Murray.
    You can vote for who you like but you won't rub the BBC pencil out. (probably already engraved)

Edit
    Our "Enry", Sir Henry Cooper won twice and Damon Hill did also. So a second for Murray is on the cards.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243

It's hipster to show you're into women's cycling #onlyhalfjoking
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

She has achieved a lot more than Froome this year.

Has she? Froome may have 'only' won the Tour but in doing so he beat a really high quality field. He beat every single active Grand Tour winner*, four of which filled the rest of the top five and have 12 GTs wins between them. And it was a repeat success.

(*i consider Wiggins and Horner semi-retired.)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • And God knows, Lizzie was on her own for the final 5 laps of the 8 lap Worlds race. All her GB team mates had blown/fallen away by the end of the 3rd lap.

That was a hell of a race she rode, all in all.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

She has achieved a lot more than Froome this year.

Has she? Froome may have 'only' won the Tour but in doing so he beat a really high quality field. He beat every single active Grand Tour winner*, four of which filled the rest of the top five and have 12 GTs wins between them. And it was a repeat success.

(*i consider Wiggins and Horner semi-retired.)

In no way am I downplaying Froome's achievement in winning the Tour, it was a superb performance against a top-class field. But this:
    World Champ AND winner for 2nd year in a row of the UCI womens World Cup. No 1 womens roadie of the season. Won throughout the season right from the Ladies Tour of Qatar onwards. National champ. etc etc
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • As an aside, no place for Joe Root? England would've been quite shit without his batting this year.