Bruce Berkley and that "Record"

BikeRadarAdmin
BikeRadarAdmin Posts: 909
edited July 2017 in The cake stop
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/the-worlds-oldest-toughest-cycling-record-is-under-threat-45827/

Bruce is looking to embark on this record from the 1st Jan, starting in sunny Oz.

I know Stephen Abrahams is currently undertaking this record too.

Both mad! Good luck to both of them.
BikeRadar Communities Manager

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Some of the guys I ride with know him.

Apparently he has significant sponsorship, good luck to him!
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Good luck to him.

Kurt Searvogel looks on track to raise the bar by maybe 1000-2000 miles in the remaining 40 or so days he has to run.

Steve Abraham is on a second attempt after having been knocked off his bike in March and is battling some challenging weather conditions on a daily basis currently!

Anyone know how old Bruce is? (i.e. what category he will be in under UMCA rules?).
  • I think he's early 50's. I've ridden with him a few times in my previous job and he's a really nice guy.

Very determined and as mentioned seems to have the right infrastructure in place to get it done (Canyon etc.)!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Is that an article about Bruce or simply an advert for Canyon?
  • marcusjb
    Same age-category as Kurt then.

Kurt has 'only' :wink: around 8000 miles to go in the next 40 days. So, he's in a reasonable position to overtake Tommy Godwin's record, though even that relies on some good luck!
  • Is that an article about Bruce or simply an advert for Canyon?

It's about Bruce! It is simply highlighting the importance of the bikes. This is from Bruce: “At 185 watts on the Aeroad and new Ultimate CF SLX I’m going 1km/h quicker than on the my old Ultimate CF SL, 1km/h over 365 days, that’s going to be the difference between breaking the record or not.”
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,238
    Milan San Remo and a bit every day?

Guess the two main problems will be: not falling off and getting ill.

Take one day off and that's an extra 10km a day for a month.

In fact, the more I look at it, the less belivable the original record is...!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I think Bruce is 47. He took the miles-in-a-month record in January of this year.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    Milan San Remo and a bit every day?

Guess the two main problems will be: not falling off and getting ill.

Take one day off and that's an extra 10km a day for a month.

In fact, the more I look at it, the less belivable the original record is...!
    Long distance cycling was a common training method back in the day.
    I guess it could just be an extension of that assuming he didn't have to work.
    Is that an article about Bruce or simply an advert for Canyon?

It's about Bruce! It is simply highlighting the importance of the bikes. This is from Bruce: “At 185 watts on the Aeroad and new Ultimate CF SLX I’m going 1km/h quicker than on the my old Ultimate CF SL, 1km/h over 365 days, that’s going to be the difference between breaking the record or not.”
    I wonder how light and aero Godwin's bike was?

Godwin's Law in action?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Berkeley is going to start his attempt on what many call the ‘world’s oldest, toughest cycling record’ in Australia on the first day of 2016, before heading back to the UK in April to finish his record attempt, mostly in London's Richmond Park.

If true, what a dreary and uninspiring way to do it.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,238
    Berkeley is going to start his attempt on what many call the ‘world’s oldest, toughest cycling record’ in Australia on the first day of 2016, before heading back to the UK in April to finish his record attempt, mostly in London's Richmond Park.

Quite. Surely you'd base yourself somewhere very flat and go wherever the wind blows?

Can always hop on a train to get home.
  • Berkeley is going to start his attempt on what many call the ‘world’s oldest, toughest cycling record’ in Australia on the first day of 2016, before heading back to the UK in April to finish his record attempt, mostly in London's Richmond Park.

I missed that bit. Why on earth would you put through this kind of mental torture? The same roads again and again.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593

I missed that bit. Why on earth would you put through this kind of mental torture? The same roads again and again.
    I've never been to Richmond Park but surely that is going to have an unnecessary level of obstructions?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    He won't be short of wheels to draft, that's for sure.

<product placement>
    Not that he needs this with his new Cannondale ultra slippy aero, saving 25 gigawatts per mile, available online now.
    </product placement>
  • I've never been to Richmond Park but surely that is going to have an unnecessary level of obstructions?

There are, but at the same time there are no traffic lights, junctions are all roundabouts and he lives about 2 mins away so can pop home for breakfast/lunch/dinner without too much of a detour!

Plus there is plenty of wheels to sit on!
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVNj00fyFeQ

Bit more of an insight into Bruce on a personal level, his motivations etc.

Really cool video.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    It's a great plug Josh (whichever way you look at it) but did our very own Steven Abrahams get a similar headline piece on BR and if not why not?

viewtopic.php?f=40007&t=13009906
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • It's a great plug Josh (whichever way you look at it) but did our very own Steven Abrahams get a similar headline piece on BR and if not why not?

viewtopic.php?f=40007&t=13009906

We haven't had the access to Steven or Kurt although we have been paying attention.

I'm sure Bruce is going to have to readjust his target over the coming months as Kurt finishes (in January?) and Steven finishes his concurrent in August.

Plugging aside, I know Bruce personally and truly believe he's got the mettle to beat Tommy, Kurt and Steven. I just hope he stays fit and healthy.
  • any ideas when Bruce Berkeley might start writing blog entries? I'm really interested in how he does it, what does he do to take care of his joints, will he go for the 500day record if everything goes well, what does he think about while riding, etc. maybe if he doesn't have the time, he could start a weekly podcast while riding. call it 30kph podcast.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Did I read somewhere that he's not followed the correct protocol to get this record registered or has that blown over - something about not paying the correct fee or something?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I thought he'd been disqualified?
  • marcusjb
    Did I read somewhere that he's not followed the correct protocol to get this record registered or has that blown over - something about not paying the correct fee or something?

That was with the UMCA (the body that officiated Kurt and Steve's years). He fell out with them over a small issue with the fees and not being willing to carry a live tracker that was publicly visible (one of their requirements, both Kurt and Steve carried SPOT trackers throughout their years).

No-one seems quite sure what he is up to - he may or may not have registered with Guinness for the attempt, or he may just be doing it for his own pleasure and Strava kudos.

I hope the guy gets a year together, though currently the wheels seem to have fallen off and he has fallen a way behind the target Kurt set.

Seems the chap is good at a riding a bike, not so good at the admin side of things (which, like it or not, is essential for anyone trying to prove they have broken a record). It's a real shame.
  • stretchy
    stretchy Posts: 149
    I get the feeling he's paying for all that climbing he has been doing.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    In another place, there are whispers that Bruce has abandoned the attempt. No sources quoted. He had been reporting knee problems and his daily mileage had dropped a lot.

Josh, are you close enough to him to verify?
  • pinno
    Josh won't be replying any time soon - he's been in Dubai and has sunstroke, apparently.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Pinno wrote:
    Josh won't be replying any time soon - he's been in Dubai and has sunstroke, apparently.

Some bloke or sunstroke?
  • marcusjb
    If he has not abandoned, then he's going to have to step things up very soon. After a decent start, his mileage has plummeted. At this stage, even a 100 mile day will add a third of a mile onto every day for the rest of the year. 3 days of 'only' 100 miles means an extra mile needs to be ridden every single day for the rest of the year.

This record is unforgiving. Anything more than a very small handful of off days and your attempt is in jeopardy.

I wish him well, but unless he gets back on the distance very soon, the attempt is over.

He needs to go back to the drawing board, sort out his knees, sort out proper validation (eat some humble pie, and talk with the UMCA ideally) and give this another go. He has the ability, but does need to get those knees sorted.
  • I haven't heard anything... Nothing on FB etc.

Will post if I hear anything.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    He's been dq'd from the attempt under the proper rules hasn't he though? Something about he wasn't prepared to use a GPS tracker? So he might get a record but not the record. You'd think with all the hours of effort you'd want it done properly.
  • pinno
    What's up with his knees? Oh, and his reasoning?