Worth upgrading front suspension?

ClearBlueSky
ClearBlueSky Posts: 4
edited December 2015 in MTB buying advice
I have a Specialized Hardrock Disc 2013 and want to upgrade to something rather better. I love racing down the Surrey Hills trails and my front suspension takes a heck of a hammering. I would like a full sus but no way can I afford it so was thinking upgrading my existing bike. Is it worth upgrading this to a better FS or would the money be wasted on this bike?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    DEpends what forks are on there now, and what you want to put on, but if it came with undamped Suntours decent forks will make a huge difference.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    I think that just upgrading your fork will already be a huge difference.

Here is a basic, but in no specific way bad, fork which I can recommend for the price:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/rockshox-xc-32-tk-solo-air-forks-9mmqr-2015/rp-prod109687

If you have a bit more money you should maybe go with this one:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/rockshox-reba-rl-solo-air-forks-9mmqr-2016/rp-prod136307

I have had both, and they do their job. The Reba is a bit better, and you do notice this on some really rough decents, so you might want to look ahead at your increase of skill and confidence and get the Reba. The XC is't a bad fork though either.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    XC are tapered, Reba is straight. So without more detail and a budget from the OP suggestions are a bit pointless.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    A brief check on the web suggests straight for 26" or 29". Needs to be confirmed.

I would go for the cheaper fork if it comes straight (not tapered) as spending too much more would start to make a replacement bike better value, especially second hand.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    A Suntour Epicon would be a major improvement over the standard fork, better than the Rockshox XC32 suggested above as well.
    If you can, it's worth upgrading the front wheel at the same time to one with a 15mm axle.
  • Thanks for the advice! I will get some more info about my bike. I have a budget of around £200 - £400 but is the bike really worth it? It cost £500 originally and it just seems a bit odd spend almost as much on new forks. But if this is money well spent and I can't afford a grand on a new bike then this may be the way to go.

Perhaps a better question to ask would be "I have £400 to spend on upgrades. Is the bike worth spending on and if so what would be the advised upgrades, eg new front suspension"
  • kajjal
    To give you a comparison this bike sold for £400 second hand and brand new was £1200 new a couple of years ago.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-Carve-Comp-2013-Mountain-Bike-EV175459-Originally-1200-/141822792449?hash=item21054c1301:g:4l0AAOSwwbdWK52r

May not be the type of bike you are after but gives you the idea if you are confident buying second hand. It is a much better bike than a hardrock spec wise even if you did some upgrades.
  • brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    Thanks for the advice! I will get some more info about my bike. I have a budget of around £200 - £400 but is the bike really worth it? It cost £500 originally and it just seems a bit odd spend almost as much on new forks. But if this is money well spent and I can't afford a grand on a new bike then this may be the way to go.

Perhaps a better question to ask would be "I have £400 to spend on upgrades. Is the bike worth spending on and if so what would be the advised upgrades, eg new front suspension"

I always suspect that people asking questions like this have made their mind up and want someone to agree with them ? But your correct, it makes little sense to spend 400 quid on it

If you want a new, second hand bike go and get one, 400 will buy you something very nice, you will probably get a 100 or so for yours. So for 300 you will have something far far better .

OR

If like me your a tight wad, A decent set of second hand forks can be had for 80 quid or so. The bike at this point owes you nothing, So for 80 quid you can have a better bike than now. if a long way short of what you could have. But does means your 220 quid in pocket and its not so bad if someone nicks it

Just decide, what YOU want
  • rockmonkeysc
    To give you a comparison this bike sold for £400 second hand and brand new was £1200 new a couple of years ago.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-Carve-Comp-2013-Mountain-Bike-EV175459-Originally-1200-/141822792449?hash=item21054c1301:g:4l0AAOSwwbdWK52r

May not be the type of bike you are after but gives you the idea if you are confident buying second hand. It is a much better bike than a hardrock spec wise even if you did some upgrades.

Although the Carve cost £1200 new it wasn't worth anywhere near that price and was extremely over priced. It's not much better than some new bikes costing half as much new so £400 is about right.
  • kajjal

Although the Carve cost £1200 new it wasn't worth anywhere near that price and was extremely over priced. It's not much better than some new bikes costing half as much new so £400 is about right.

I have a well used Carve :(

You could say that about alot of bikes really depending on what you look for in a bike. To me downhill bikes and similar are vastly over priced and have very limited use. Other people happily spend thousands on them ;)

The point i was making was there are some very good second hand deals for around £400 if you have a look. Seems better value than upgrading a Rockhopper with the same budget
  • rockmonkeysc
    The thing with the Carve is there are plenty of better specced, very similar bikes for an awful lot less money which will perform as good.
    Downhill bikes are a whole different thing. They are expensive but they sell in very small numbers and are built for the most extreme riding and toughest conditions. You can buy one for £1500 new but the components won't last long and the suspension isn't up to racing. When you have a £1100 fork, £600 shock, £400 brakes, £400 wheels plus an extremely tough frame and complex suspension linkages the £3500 price tag makes sense. They are only any good for one thing but they are extremely good at it. Enduro bikes are good on downhill trails but there's still a gap in performance and strength between them and DH bikes.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    DEpends what forks are on there now, and what you want to put on, but if it came with undamped Suntours decent forks will make a huge difference.

This ^^^^. (Suntour XCT, I think on this Hardrock)

My boys have similar bikes from Giant and Trek. They're decent bikes let down by cheap forks, which fortunately I was able to upgrade from the 'components bin' that is my shed

I'd look for a 2nd hand air fork - Suntour Epicon, RS Reba or similar from Ebay. Budget £150 and you'll improve the bike enormously. Depending what you have fitted and where you ride, different tyres can often also offer a big improvement (and are relatively cheap)
  • kajjal
    The thing with the Carve is there are plenty of better specced, very similar bikes for an awful lot less money which will perform as good.
    Downhill bikes are a whole different thing. They are expensive but they sell in very small numbers and are built for the most extreme riding and toughest conditions. You can buy one for £1500 new but the components won't last long and the suspension isn't up to racing. When you have a £1100 fork, £600 shock, £400 brakes, £400 wheels plus an extremely tough frame and complex suspension linkages the £3500 price tag makes sense. They are only any good for one thing but they are extremely good at it. Enduro bikes are good on downhill trails but there's still a gap in performance and strength between them and DH bikes.

The reason i bought one is i am very tall and few manufacturers make bikes big enough. It is the first bike i have bought that really fits me with any compromises. If i was shorter there are alot more options. Specialized bikes lose out on spec to various other manufacturers at most price points.
  • It does kindof look like I should consider buying a secondhand bike for around £400. Let me know if you see something I ought to look at!
    Much appreciate all your comments and thank you.
  • brianbee
    It . Let me know if you see something I ought to look at!

Gum Tree in about a fortnight, There are an awful lot of people trying to raise money for Xmas, Who will accept quite derisory offers for last years barely used present
  • brianbee
    It . Let me know if you see something I ought to look at!

Gum Tree in about a fortnight, There are an awful lot of people trying to raise money for Xmas, Who will accept quite derisory offers for last years barely used present

not as a recommendation but Just as an example, here is a 2015 cube acid, 4 months old with 4 miles on it, wants 500 quid, I would leave it a few days and offer him 380, if I was in the market for such ?. If he wont bite there are plenty more

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/2015-cube-acid-29er-17-.-4-miles-old/1144609726
  • rockmonkeysc
    Check out eBay and look at the less obvious options like Suntour Epicon, Marzocchi 320cr and Manitou (forget the model). They sell for a lot less than Rockshox or Fox forks but are just as good or better.
    I sold a Marzocchi 350CR yesterday for £160, that was a £500 fork a year ago and it's barely used.