Shops that wrap perfect bar tape?

2»

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,319
    So that he can be beaten up. Cat with Sado Masochistic tendencies or perhaps Marmite bats for the other side.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • I've almost got the build bits together for my road bike, but I'm pretty average at wrapping tape...anyone know of a shop in the East Midlands that wraps tape - and does a good job of it?

In answer to the original question ....

I had mine done by Neil at Pelican Cycles in Chesterfield. Excellent job!

Pelican Cycles
    1 Old Road
    Chesterfield
    S40 2RF
    Tel 01246 767078
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    As an aside, why did people stop starting the wrap from the middle to the ends?

Starting at the middle is neater, no insulting tape needed.....

Any ideas?
    Yes, because if wrapped middle to outer, your hands push the "edges" of the tape up when on the tops or drops. If wrapped outer to middles your hands smooth that tape edges down.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

Any ideas?
    Yes, because if wrapped middle to outer, your hands push the "edges" of the tape up when on the tops or drops. If wrapped outer to middles your hands smooth that tape edges down.

And previously tape was tougher so took much longer for this to happen. Also wrapping in to out with concealed cables means you can mess around with the cables without having to remove the tape completely. nd the modern trend for fatter, more padded tape means that if you wrap from the middle you get a bit of a fat, lumpy finish anyway.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pinno

Any ideas?

And previously tape was tougher so took much longer for this to happen. Also wrapping in to out with concealed cables means you can mess around with the cables without having to remove the tape completely. nd the modern trend for fatter, more padded tape means that if you wrap from the middle you get a bit of a fat, lumpy finish anyway.

Disagree.

If you use the right tension and spacing, it's not lumpy or fat and it doesn't move. I have used this tape twice and how often are you going to twiddle with gear cable outers, shifters etc once you are set up?
    Here's my handlebars with the 'fat lumpy' Cinelli cork/gel tape from the middle out:

8c328a6a7a264bbbc8addf1e155d1d56.jpg
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Cripes! What's been gnawing at your bars??

I'm going to try the middle outwards next time. Looks a lot neater than my ham-fisted attempts with electrical tape.

What happens at the other end though? I have visions of that part looking ugly instead. Or do you do it in 2 parts; middle outwards to shifter, and bar end inwards to the shifter. Or is that seen as cheating?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    You just stuff it in the end of the bar then put the end plug in - pretty much the same as if you started at that end.
  • pinno
    Cripes! What's been gnawing at your bars??

The front light mounts. They are old Cinelli Criterium bars - seen a few miles (and bikes).

I'm going to try the middle outwards next time. Looks a lot neater than my ham-fisted attempts with electrical tape.

That's the elegance of it.

What happens at the other end though?

Leave yourself 2 to 2.5" over. Wrap the tape so that your continuing the wrapping as if the bars are still there. Push the excess into the hole. Make sure you have at least the width of the end to tuck in at the bottom. I undid some tape to show you - pics below.

I have visions of that part looking ugly instead. Or do you do it in 2 parts; middle outwards to shifter, and bar end inwards to the shifter. Or is that seen as cheating?

No need and you don't want two ends flapping about. Place two strips of bar tape either side of the shifter. Pop the hoods into place and see if they are positioned right - i.e, covering what the tape won't. This allows you to adopt a kinder angle when continuing from the top to the bottom of the shifter.

cb38816dbdf3d189d52b9683cff87070.jpg

Complete with marks from the end plug:

906615b9d40790d3571edc39e30904f9.jpg

Make sure it is neat before the end plug goes in:

08d5c9c05c3345c3ec7ea8269711f9bc.jpg

f6ad53f4c22022282234ecd1656b168d.jpg

ec150a38bcc150dab894676641ce5b39.jpg

You can see the triangles formed from wrapping the bar tape over the strips at the hoods:

c02dc3a5bff6b17fda79513255a549d6.jpg
    b502222a5f362f969fa5934cce7e99eb.jpg

Job done.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380

Any ideas?

Who stopped? :D

DSC03952.jpg

That is mega cool rad retro but you longer see it on "modern" bikes - but Dirk and his new (to him) Spinergy wheels will bring it back.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380

Any ideas?

Disagree.

If you use the right tension and spacing, it's not lumpy or fat and it doesn't move. I have used this tape twice and how often are you going to twiddle with gear cable outers, shifters etc once you are set up?
    Here's my handlebars with the 'fat lumpy' Cinelli cork/gel tape from the middle out:

8c328a6a7a264bbbc8addf1e155d1d56.jpg

Gallovidian perfection :)
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    [quote=
    Leave yourself 2 to 2.5" over. Wrap the tape so that your continuing the wrapping as if the bars are still there. Push the excess into the hole. Make sure you have at least the width of the end to tuck in at the bottom. I undid some tape to show you - pics below.
    you don't want two ends flapping about. Place two strips of bar tape either side of the shifter. Pop the hoods into place and see if they are positioned right - i.e, covering what the tape won't. This allows you to adopt a kinder angle when continuing from the top to the bottom of the shifter

Make sure it is neat before the end plug goes in:

You can see the triangles formed from wrapping the bar tape over the strips at the hoods:

Job done.[/quote]

Thanks for taking the time to explain and post the pics; most informative. Especially the 2 strips at the shifters and the bar end plug arrangement. Definitely going to do this next time!