Insurance

South Tyne Rider
South Tyne Rider Posts: 76
edited November 2015 in Road general
Hello guys

Nightmare struck the other night - I had my bike locked up and some low life scumbag nicked all of my removable objects. Thankfully my lock done a good job and I've got 90% of a bike left but the feeling of sheer bitterness and frustration will take a while to subside.

First thing - I'm not insured so I'm going to have to take the hit on the accessories which come up to about £300 roughly.

My bike is worth about £1300 when I bought it 18 months ago but I was talked out of getting insurance and was told to get a good lock instead as insurance wasn't worth it. Well, after Wednesday's near miss, and the fact that the police said insurance covers me in case of accidents too, I'm going to get some. So basically - where do I start looking? And how much should I expect to pay for it? Any recommendations?

Comments

• BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    Have you searched the forums? I ask as insurance is regularly discussed.
  • Have you searched the forums? I ask as insurance is regularly discussed.

No, I couldn't see a relevant forum. Which one mate?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    I will be referring to this thread when my house insurance is due for renewal.

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13031434&hilit=insurance

From my research it is cheaper to add them to house insurance than cycle specific insurance.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I will be referring to this thread when my house insurance is due for renewal.

From my research it is cheaper to add them to house insurance than cycle specific insurance.
    I know what you mean but it's never likely to get nicked from the house (touch wood) as most days I'm at work and it's locked up outside my workplace
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    If you add it to your home insurance most policies will cover it when locked up away from home. Mine also covers me for accidents a third party liability.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    I will be referring to this thread when my house insurance is due for renewal.

I know what you mean but it's never likely to get nicked from the house (touch wood) as most days I'm at work and it's locked up outside my workplace
    As Alex says, my house contents insurance covers my bikes World wide.
    Just check the options.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • anjasola
    anjasola Posts: 145
    The AA came out best when I checked worldwide cover included.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,386
    We use NFU for our house insurance and this covers the bikes worldwide too
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited November 2015
    I was talked out of getting insurance and was told to get a good lock instead as insurance wasn't worth it.

Who told you that? The lock salesman?

Don't forget there will be an excess.
    I think ours (I only have bike insurance because its part of contents insurance) is £250, so would not be much help in the situation you described.

Stand alone bike insurance is about 10% of the cost of the bike I think, so you would have paid £195 in premiums up to the point you needed it.
    Add to that the excess and the lock salesman would appear to be correct.

What were the 'removable objects'?
    Could you have removed them, or made more of an effort to make them un removable?

Work out what you would have paid in premiums/excess and go out and buy nice new kit that is better and newer than what was taken.

Have a think about whether the lock salesman was correct before rushing out and insuring anything :wink:
  • What exactly did they take to rack up a £300 bill?!

IMO insurance against bike theft or damage just isn't worth it, the premiums and excess are usually very high compared to your potential losses/payout. Just keep your bike in sight or very well locked-up somewhere safe; for occasions when you can't do those, buy a beater-bike.

On the other hand, third-party liability insurance is definitely worth it IMO. The chance of having to make a claim is likely smaller, but the premiums are usually low, the excess on a claim is little or nothing and your potential liability is vastly greater than if you just had your bike stolen. It's a different ball game obviously, but worth considering.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Oh yes, Good call BM, I meant to mention third party insurance.
    Get that for sure.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    Add the bikes as named specified items to the house contents insurance with a decent insurer and you'll be covered for all risks away from home. Speak with the insurer first to make sure they offer proper cover!

From personal experience Prudential have been excellent even if not the cheapest, but you'll only know if the premium is value for money when you have to claim.