BKool Pro or Tacx Neo?

davidb67
davidb67 Posts: 39
I've been thinking of going for a Tacx Neo for a few months, and finally theyre available.
However, I've been looking into the BKool Pro now, and when I look at what it does/offers, it certainly does everything I want.
I'm looking more for entertainment/motivation during the winter months, rather than an exact, structured power-related training plan, and although originally the Neo appealed, the Bkool will mean I dont need to also buy a high-spec PC as well as the already considerably pricey Neo unit vs. BKool - I have an iMac & MacBook which the Bkool will work with, but the Neo wont hence the additonal expense needed.

I did prefer the idea of the direct mount of the neo vs tyre-mount of the Bkool, but I now have a trainer-specific wheel & tyre anyhow, so its not as much of a faff. I don't have to consider the noise of tyre-driven system vs direct drive as it will be used in a large carpeted and no issues from neighbours.

I'm aware that to access the large number of courses & videos the BKool requires a subscription, but the much lower unit cost & using my existing computer is looking very attractive - anyone else make the same move?

David

Comments

• vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    I know you need a PC to run the Tacx software, but can't you use the bkool software on the Mac with the Neo? Have you done any turbo training session before? The Neo is a lot of money to spend to find out that you are fed up with turbo training after a few months. I'd be tempted to go with Tacx vortex or bushido with third party software.

Have a look at DC Rainmakers recommendation on his website.
  • These days the software is pretty much irrelevant. You can use the BKool software with the Tacx Neo. Not sure if you can use the Tacx software with the BKool but I would be surprised if you can't.
  • I've just got the Neo. It runs with the iPad app with no extra software if that helps. Or you can run things like Zwift with a Ant+ dongle on the Mac (they look as though they're edging towards even making that work using an iPhone as a Bluetooth bridge). You can even run the Neo with an FEC enabled Garmin (currently only the 520 though 1000 is in the pipeline)

I have to say, as a previous user of the Fortius and Taxc TTS software, the Neo is great in comparison and I'm not going to bother with TTS at all. I can get the iPad to do all of that stuff and use Zwift or TrainingPeaks for variety.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I've just got the Neo. It runs with the iPad app with no extra software if that helps. Or you can run things like Zwift with a Ant+ dongle on the Mac (they look as though they're edging towards even making that work using an iPhone as a Bluetooth bridge). You can even run the Neo with an FEC enabled Garmin (currently only the 520 though 1000 is in the pipeline)

I have to say, as a previous user of the Fortius and Taxc TTS software, the Neo is great in comparison and I'm not going to bother with TTS at all. I can get the iPad to do all of that stuff and use Zwift or TrainingPeaks for variety.
    Get a Tacx and try Tacxtours .Races against other riders.Races on most days .You will not find it boring .
    http://www.tacxtours.com/ http://www.tacx.com/en/experience/multiplayer#calendar